PDA

View Full Version : gluten

jtb5w
02-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Has anyone used corn gluten meal for a pre or post emergent? Alot of guys in our area used to, but larger companies that have 4 step plans stick to herbicides, thus sales went down and it is hard to get. Yesterday though I discovered something. I was talking to a Farmers cooperative field man, and he told me that distillery grains or the left overs from making whiskey could have the same affect. It is not to light, so it will not clump. It is used as an ingredient in cattle feed and not harmful at all. It also has a good smell, almost like bread. Just like gluten is also good for soil and thickening turf. I have not priced it yet, but will let you guys know.

dpld
02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
it does work but the timing is so critical that it makes success as a sure fire pre emergence very limited.

also, it takes like twenty pounds per 1000 sq ft so you would need boat loads of it as well as it is not cheap.

i am all for anything safe and natural but the end results on average would be less then decent for a far greater cost and effort.

a 15 k sq ft lawn would need like 300 lbs to be effective, that is insane.

Ducke
02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
I buy 55 lb bags of CGM and spread it at 5000 sq ft per bag. A bag runs me around $35.00 each and my supplier always has a good supply.
But as dpld said time is everything with CGM. I will be waiting to hear what you find out about the mash waste works

picframer
02-05-2012, 02:29 AM
I use Corn Gluten 8, liquid. I buy it from a firm in Ottata wholesale, generally 5 gallon plastic cans, sell some to clustomers. I apply in the fall very heavy and again in the spring, generally late March early April, works perfect, I have little to no weeds.

Ducke
02-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Were are you getting the Gluten 8 ??
Halifax Seed ??

dpld
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I use Corn Gluten 8, liquid. I buy it from a firm in Ottata wholesale, generally 5 gallon plastic cans, sell some to clustomers. I apply in the fall very heavy and again in the spring, generally late March early April, works perfect, I have little to no weeds.

this is the best way i can see useing this product, in the form of a liquid concentrate and it also works better, quicker and is less criticasl in the timing compared to the granular.

picframer
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Were are you getting the Gluten 8 ??
Halifax Seed ??

No, I don't even think they have it, I buy Wholesale as I metntioned from Ottawa in very large quanities, I would guess we sprayed at least 5,000 gallons a year of various products. I bought very, very little from Halifax Seed, some grass but that is about it.

picframer
02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
this is the best way i can see useing this product, in the form of a liquid concentrate and it also works better, quicker and is less criticasl in the timing compared to the granular.

100% on the mark, liquid will far out perform

mcgreen1
02-15-2012, 03:41 AM
I don't know anything about gluten 8 yet. However from what I just read in this post would the best ime to apply it be right after fall clean-up and spring. clean- up?