PDA

View Full Version : Making your own mail list

jymie
02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Hey folks, there is an easy way to put together a mail list of your service area. If you want to market on streets you are now servicing, use this free resource to get basic information such as Age demographics, Name and address information. I started an excel spread sheet. It will allow you to more personalize your marketing mail making you look more professional.

White Pages (http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_address)

You input an address and zip-code & it pulls up the entire street with all the above information. Sure you could pay a service to do this for you but its winter time and what else do we have to do at this time of year? When I get a new customer, I pull up the entire street on this resource and market to them. Some times if I only want to market to age 65 + I can sort my spread sheet by that demographic. I prefill the Street Name, Town, State and zip-code fields then all I have to type in is Age Demographic, Name and house number. Excel is very helpful in that if you have typed a certain piece of information already, it places the text in full for you as you type it.

Upscale2
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
That is awesome! I honestly didn't know about that!
I can now focus in on specific areas that I would like to
do work in.
I can create a spread sheet, load it into my card sending site, and
introduce myself and promote to these customers by sending them
cards.

Thanks!!

Oh yeah, this is my site: www.marshallscards.com

I use this to send to my client list, now I can send to potentials.

One of the best bits of info. I have seen on this site!!

Steve
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
When I get a new customer, I pull up the entire street on this resource and market to them.

What have you found to be the best ways to market in the neighborhood of a new customer? Do you send them postcards? Letters?

jymie
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
First the plan is to market with door hangers. Then I will sort my list to send post cards to the 65+ folks. The next wave of post cards to the 60-64 folks.

Chaz
02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
wow, i actually went driving around in neighborhoods with my girlfriend and wrote down the numbers of streets and then typed it manually. but this seems like another way to go about it, plus the feature of names and numbers!

thanks

JeffK26
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
This is GREAT for mailing lists, but for age demographics it's not that accurate.

As a test i typed in my brother's address and it came up with his name and my parent's names. My address came up with me and my wife, plus my parents. It also has me listed with my parent's at their home.

I tested further with cousins' and friends' addresses. Out of 25 addresses 21 listed their parents at the same address, when i know they don't live there. The other 4 were correct with only listing my friends and their wives.

It's great to use to get addresses for free, but as a tool to target age groups it's not so accurate.

Paineless Creations
02-03-2012, 07:48 AM
This is really good thanks for sharing!!

Bobby

Steve
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Early on, how important are demographics versus just getting the mailing addresses of homes in a given area?

I do wonder how long it would take a lawn care business owner to figure out which demographic group would make for the best customer base?

JeffK26
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm focusing on people with lawns. :D