PDA

View Full Version : Military type business name?

tha5150
01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Brian here... need help with my business name.

I am ex Army, was in the 82nd Airborne which is a pretty well known division. I would like to incorporate me being ex military into my company name but need some help.

Mil Spec Lawn is something i can up with but i dont think people would get it.

please help me with this. the sooner i figure this out, the sooner i can get card and flyers made.

i also love the "dont tread on me" rattlesnake logo and would like to have than Incorporated into the name or something..

i am lost, what do you guys have?

bruces
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
I was a canadian airborne ranger myself ,in the 80's so a long time ago .How about something like G.I.JOES Lawncare ,Airborne lawncare ,or something along those lines ?

dpld
01-31-2012, 01:31 PM
how about " THE LAWN RANGER " or " ARMY EXPRESS LAWN SERVICES "

tha5150
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
i like the Airborne Lawn Care more that the others.

keep em coming!

Sprinkler Buddy
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Lawn Care By Army Airborne Inc.

Simple and to the point, everyone will get it.

tha5150
01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
am i being too picky? thats way too long. thanks of course! but i like a 3 word name or even 2.

BLAH Lawns
BLAH BLAH Lawns

Sprinkler Buddy
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Airborne Strong

It would bring up conversation and potential business.

CHEESE2009
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM
*****el Lawn < it wont let me type; "c o l o n e l" ?? lol

Sergeant Green

Lawn Platoon

Lawn Medic

Lawn Artillery

Alpha Lawns

Landing Zone .......... do it

^ ;)

tha5150
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Landing Zone... i like it..

but how to say lawns? man this is hard.

dpld
01-31-2012, 06:54 PM
how about " SPECIAL OP'S " lawn care

CHEESE2009
01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Landing Zone... i like it..

but how to say lawns? man this is hard.

Is it a word that you'd really like to be there? Personally, I try and leave what my service does for the 'slogan' part.

A lot of people can go to "Joe's Pizza" and not realize they actually make the best spaghetti, yet alone serve it.

Just something to think about, each way has it's pros and cons.

Also, this;

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/LZ.png

so cool... lol

Hedgemaster
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
What is your potential client base?

Are they young, wealthy, liberals? If so, I think a "military" name would do you no favors.

I do a lot of work deep in "enemy territory" and I just keep my mouth shut when it comes to their Obama stickers and such.

Thank you for your service by the way. I'm intrigued by your naming dilemma and I'll see if I can think of anything worth suggesting...

JeffK26
02-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Brian here... need help with my business name.

I am ex Army, was in the 82nd Airborne which is a pretty well known division. I would like to incorporate me being ex military into my company name but need some help.

Mil Spec Lawn is something i can up with but i dont think people would get it.

please help me with this. the sooner i figure this out, the sooner i can get card and flyers made.

i also love the "dont tread on me" rattlesnake logo and would like to have than Incorporated into the name or something..

i am lost, what do you guys have?

I'll see what i can come up with for ya. I was a 19D, hence the Saber from my name so I know what you mean wanting to honor your MOS and your service.

It's late, i smoked a pork butt and drank a lot of beer. check in this weekend, I'll either post it here or PM ya.

tha5150
02-01-2012, 01:40 PM
potential clients.. hmm.. well since i am just getting started i will take anyone. but where i live is pretty country. it is pretty churchy from what i have gathered and a lot of people have american flags and support troops. like someone said earlier, i think a catchy military type name will spark a conversation at least.

like i said i have no clients yet so going either commercial or residential is not yet decided. probably more residential though. it is very competitive around here, lawn trailers at every light.

i am sure this didnt give any help with the questions but thats all i got.

i like the Landing Zone a lot, though. pretty slick looking. maybe incorporate the 82nd logo? All American is what the AA means

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/prodimages/large/1520.jpg

but hey, maybe i am going in the wrong direction with the military name. sure everyone appreciates people who have served but maybe it isnt the best "lawn business" naming convention???

Steve
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
You'll never know for sure what kind of response you will get until you test it. So I'd say go with your gut. Do what you want to do and then judge the response. See if it is giving you what you like.

bruces
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
how about "AA" or All American lawncare ? it will get you to the front of the list in the phone book ,and if they dont like the military thing,you can tell them its the other AA .

eMCeeW
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Buzzcut lawncare
Bootcamp lawncare
1st Battalion lawncare
Freedom lawncare
Patriot lawncare

I like All American Lawncare, You already have a logo haha.
LZ Lawncare or Landing Zone is pretty awesome to me.

Offer a discount to vets, and to wives of active servicemen.

Much respect and thanks for serving! Good luck.

JamesB
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
I like the Landing Zone also. You might want to put AA Landing Zone (All American Landing Zone). It won't offend anyone, and it says what you want it too. By the way, can you legally use the AA logo and symbol? You might want to check on that with some upper-class. You could also use the American Flag with maybe the snake in front of that.
JamesB - Bailey's Lawn & Garden. 'Our service makes the difference!' Thanks for your service!

tha5150
02-03-2012, 08:20 AM
You could also use the American Flag with maybe the snake in front of that.

i like that, someone want to put that together for me? with the Airborne Lawn Care

CHEESE2009
02-03-2012, 08:25 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00799/British-Soldier_799595c.jpg
"I think we've got the wrong address. ... There's no grass here!"

Your logo could be of a paratrooper holding a trimmer/mower... lol

tha5150
02-03-2012, 08:27 AM
My wife said (jokingly) that i should go out there every day, cammo'd up, face paint & ruck sack. hahah

I like this as a slogan though...

"" Proudly served my country, now serving YOU""

advice?

JeffK26
02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
My wife said (jokingly) that i should go out there every day, cammo'd up, face paint & ruck sack. hahah

I like this as a slogan though...

"" Proudly served my country, now serving YOU""

advice?

I like the slogan, it's simply and smooth.

I sent and got your PM....I'm partial to All American Lawn Care myself. I'll keep thinking.

Be careful with the use of the American Flag in advertising. The Flag Code states it should not be used in advertising. However it's not illegal since the Flag Code is just that a code, not a law. But you could risk people that know the Code and follow it won't use your services if they see the flag with a snake or something else on it. I know wouldn't and haven't, and I let the business know why i chose to go somewhere else. I don't even buy plates or tablecloths during Memorial day and such because the flag should not be placed on such items. I have even written MLB and other sports that hold the flag out in a field with men/women and children holding the edges. "The flag should be hung aloft to wave freely"

Of course I'm a stickler for how the flag is represented. Sorry about the rant. ;)

On my way out for a gutter cleaning, be back later on.

tha5150
02-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Saber, thanks for your input, you have some valid points. Although, kids would have held the flag in a sign of "that moment" are proud. so it is a toss up. but i agree with you that it should be raised high as possible so everyone can see.

maybe i should go a different route than the flag.. All American Lawn Care with a Rattlesnake (from the dont tread on me paraphrase) would look cool?

someone scetch that up in photoshop or something please. Saber i know you will respond in PM with this but want to see all ideas possible.

Please tell me this, why does everyone like Landing Zone so much? Curious what you like about it.

CHEESE2009
02-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Please tell me this, why does everyone like Landing Zone so much? Curious what you like about it.

It represents you, and it's a conversation starter.

It also looks great, and sounds wicked.

If you want to use a flag... use a Canadian one LOL. Just kidding.

I'm excited for you, I wish you the best of luck!

DeMenkey
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Doesn't have to say lawn care, could say blah blah landscaping or property maintenance ...

tha5150
02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
OK so i think i am close. . . If anyone can put together a few variations of logos i would greatly appreciate it!

All American Lawn & Maintenance
All American Lawn Care
Airborne Lawn Care
Airborne Lawn & Maintenance

They would have the AA Patch behind this and a slogan on the bottom saying

"Proudly served my country, now serving you"

FYI, i am partial to the Airborne name...

willshome
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
OK so i think i am close. . . If anyone can put together a few variations of logos i would greatly appreciate it!

All American Lawn & Maintenance
All American Lawn Care
Airborne Lawn Care
Airborne Lawn & Maintenance

They would have the AA Patch behind this and a slogan on the bottom saying

"Proudly served my country, now serving you"

FYI, i am partial to the Airborne name...

I would keep it short like "Airborne lawns" it will fit on flyer, pens... Longer name need smaller font to fit and alot of customers are older small print makes them MAD. it will take less time for you to write out. Customers can spell it. easy to remember.

Make up a flyer see how it looks

tha5150
02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I am not good at designing, also do not have photoshop or anything.. or even know how to use it. i was hoping someone here did and wouldnt mind helping me out.

willshome
02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I use word the make flyers and try playing on vistaprint.com (SHOP THERE SALES ONLY) or http://print.staples.com/postcards.aspx?cid=PS%3aMS%3aCP%3aCP%3aE%3a28%3a82 90%3apostcards&GP=2%2f4%2f2012+3%3a13%3a06+PM&GPS=2341822277&GNF=0&GPLSID=&rd=2

1. click on "browse our designs" middle of screen
2. in the search bar type "lawn"
3. pick the one you like
4. play with fitting your name

Hope that helps let me know if you need more

tha5150
02-07-2012, 09:32 AM
pissed....

a friend is helping me with Airborne Lawn Care.. so i went to get the domain name and it has been taken. went to the website. sure enough, airborne lawn care... lawns. name. even my slogan is already being used. http://airbornelawncare.com/default.aspx

going with All American Lawn Care including the 82nd airborne logo. lets see what he creates. . .

tha5150
02-07-2012, 09:37 AM
scratch that... there is a website already for that... maybe i could just use the name and not have a website?

im so lost right now. both of what i liked are taken

willshome
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
"uniform lawns"?

and if you like a name just add FL to it for the web like airbornelawnsfl.com but the other airborne is in FL so no go on that
but i like uniform lawns it works on two ways

willshome
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
" Crew Cut Lawn Care "

tha5150
02-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I need an honest opinion on this guys... A friend i was bugging finally got this to me. By far not his best work, he is too busy to dedicate time for me which i understand.

Now that i look at it the bottom dots arent even are they? I have someone else sending my info to his graphic artist and hopefully Monday or Tuesday i will have another option. This guy was helping me with a logo, seen below. The other guy is doing a business card for me. Not too sure which i need more.. kinda both huh?

personally, i am not in favor of this one much at all.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AhRiWVzfZtA/TzUV-CLfPtI/AAAAAAAAtcU/NTooW5dHAXs/s720/Aairborne%2520Logo.jpg

Moki
02-10-2012, 08:33 AM
As soon as I read that you were/are in the Army in your OP I thought of "Gung Ho Grounds Care"...

:)

Steve
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh I like that logo a lot! Very nice work! Imagine you made patches for it on your shirt? That would be great!

It would also look great on the side of your truck.

tha5150
02-14-2012, 11:49 AM
OK, this is the latest and greatest. tell me what you all think. i have 1 other person helping me out with an idea.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7BbRs23q4BE/TzqSEJOtGwI/AAAAAAAAtd0/q1QJkLj92so/s912/3.5x2.5_bcard-2.jpg

CHEESE2009
02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Is someone out there able to turn the logo into a vector image so it can be re-sized for other uses?

Also, is there another slogan we could come up with? Is serving your country the same as serving the people in it? Curious.

Here is what I've got without the logo. I tried several backgrounds, I like the deep color of the sky in this.

tha5150
02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Cheese, THANK!!!

got your email. looks good. what did you create this with? Photoshop?
question, is the psd file vector? kinda 2nd'ing your question.

my assumption is that illustrator ALWAYS creates vector..?

i like this a lot for sure. now the toss up.. which is better..

i like how this one looks a bit more "Lawn-ish" vs the other one. Licensed and Insured is a definite plus. free estimates is too.

hmmm...

CHEESE2009
02-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Cheese, THANK!!!

got your email. looks good. what did you create this with? Photoshop?
question, is the psd file vector? kinda 2nd'ing your question.

my assumption is that illustrator ALWAYS creates vector..?

i like this a lot for sure. now the toss up.. which is better..

i like how this one looks a bit more "Lawn-ish" vs the other one. Licensed and Insured is a definite plus. free estimates is too.

hmmm...

I believe fonts are important;
Cooper Std = Airborne Lawn Care [italic]
BorisBlackBloxx = Everything else

Fonts make or break a project.

-

To be honest, I am only using Adobe Flash Professional CS5. :D

The only thing we have to be certain of, is the dimensions of the card, and where the bleed point is (area that might get cut off).

This card I worked on is 536px by 308px.

tha5150
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
if you have CS then i am sure you have Illustrator. go to file, export, Illustrator or something like that.

from what i read online, thats basically all you do. not saying do it right now but just saying. fyi..

and your right, fonts make or break the design for sure.

CHEESE2009
02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
if you have CS then i am sure you have Illustrator. go to file, export, Illustrator or something like that.

from what i read online, thats basically all you do. not saying do it right now but just saying. fyi..

and your right, fonts make or break the design for sure.

Before I finalize it, is it possible that I can put your phone number, email address on there?

This way people dont call 123.457.7890 LOL :P

Usually I save the file at 300DPI, which increases it's size. So when you place it within Vistaprint, it'll shrink itself but maintain high quality.

tha5150
02-14-2012, 12:39 PM
emailed you.

tha5150
02-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Cheese, thanks for the efforts. I am going with this for a final unless anyone says otherwise. maybe something is wrong and i cant see it

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DqFJj93Dzww/Tzu7uO1PljI/AAAAAAAAtes/PIHyOu_77bk/s912/AirborneLawns.jpg

crap... i need to change my phone number and add an email dont i...

wandfsmall
02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Cheese, thanks for the efforts. I am going with this for a final unless anyone says otherwise. maybe something is wrong and i cant see it

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DqFJj93Dzww/Tzu7uO1PljI/AAAAAAAAtes/PIHyOu_77bk/s912/AirborneLawns.jpg

crap... i need to change my phone number and add an email dont i...

you might want to add a website as well if you have one.

avetslawncare
02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
My business name is "Avets Lawn Care", you can check out my site at www.avetslawncare.com

I just started my business after being in the Army (infantry) for 5 years, although I had a business for 6 years before joining the military.

My slogan is, "From the front line to YOUR front yard"

Please give me any input and advice or changes I should make to my site. Thank You.

Bob Dunleavy

Blue Star Lawn Care
02-16-2012, 01:44 AM
That really came out nice. Thanks to you and AVETS for your service!!!

tha5150
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks, went to the print shop this morning. looked a little off so i resized a few things but overall looks good i think.

as for the above website, i really like that you put your face, history and current pictures. one thing i like more than anything is the before and after picture. maily that you dont have to open a picture in a new page, close, it, open new one, etc etc. you have slides and this is very nice. cant make a website a pain you know.

a rule of thumb.. 5 seconds on a website, if you cant figure it out, the client will leave.

avetslawncare
02-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Thank You, I appreciate the positive feedback