PDA

View Full Version : Victory!

CHEESE2009
01-31-2012, 09:35 AM
So. The problem with the guy who kept calling me daily for 'salting' is finally solved.

I went out at 5AM this morning to drop off an invoice (to avoid seeing him of course).

I charged him $75, $86.23 with tax, and we do not supply the salt.
For the rest of the winter season.

I got a message saying, "the price is reasonable".

Now if you all join me...

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cutcaster-photo-100437671-Let-s-Party.jpg

Actually, I'm going to bed. I have to be up later in the evening to go to work, lol. Stupid snow...

nickeckes
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
what was the problem in the first place?

CHEESE2009
01-31-2012, 09:57 AM
what was the problem in the first place?

For one, he's not 'my' client. He's a long lasting client with another company, and still is. So I am pretty annoyed at how I got involved with him, and why I'm putting up with the phone calls.

I am a subcontractor for this other company, and this client of theirs got my number requesting what I would consider additional work. The company he is with turned him down for salting, so they gave him my number believing that I would be interested. This made me angry.

Unfortunately, I was not interested considering I already have a lot on my plate, and I would going out of my way to salt one lousy property, and that really just didn't appeal to me.

So I previously did this client a favor one time, he seemed nice and I figured his place could use some salting. Next thing you know, he's calling me every day filling up my voice mail. Regardless if he needs salting, he's gotta at least call me once a day to confirm whether or not I will be doing it again and again and again and again.

I eventually ignored the phone calls, pretty much what it comes down to with any annoying client. - that's how I roll :D

He then decided to call the company he actually hired to see if they could get in touch with me, and this is what they said;

"He has money, and he will pay anything"

http://s3.gatheringmagic.com/uploads/2009/08/6a00b8ea0674f2dece00c1141318f8c408-200pi.jpg

stevef1201
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
"He has money, and he will pay anything"**call someone you dont like and tell them this, plus you have too much to now would they mind getting a new customer (Tongue in cheek and smile)

bruces
01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
you blew it ! why didnt you charge him $500.00 or more ,you dont care about losing him ,and he either pays or finds somebody else,either way a win for you .

Steve
02-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Scott I am glad you are feeling better!

How did you initially set up things up with this customer? Did you give him a price before you did any work? Or what was the deal?

CHEESE2009
02-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Scott I am glad you are feeling better!

How did you initially set up things up with this customer? Did you give him a price before you did any work? Or what was the deal?

I'm still puzzled with the situation. lol. I knew he wanted salting done, so I just snuck him the invoice and got a positive response via voicemail. :D

** apparently 'snuck' isn't a word? lol **

Steve
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
What do you think you would have done if he spazzed out about the price?

CHEESE2009
02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
What do you think you would have done if he spazzed out about the price?

Well, if it was me from awhile ago. I probably would have lowered it...

Lately I've been thinking about 'myself' so this time I would have just told him 'too bad, that's the best I can do'.

It would obviously make things awkward, but the truth is I could go without this salting job, it really doesn't do anything but add time to my already exhausting route.

I'm sure there will be times in the future where I will have to tweak things for a client, just to keep them happy and on board. This is not one of them, I have to chance of gaining him as a lawn client, so I just don't see why I would bother going out of my way for him and lowering my price for salting.

Steve
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
As you are experimenting more with charging higher prices, such as with this customer, does it change your view on dealing with customers in general?

Well, if it was me from awhile ago. I probably would have lowered it...

Why do you feel in the past you would have lowered it but now you went the opposite way?

CHEESE2009
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
As you are experimenting more with charging higher prices, such as with this customer, does it change your view on dealing with customers in general?

Well I have had my bad clients for some time, and I believe it's time for me to finally say goodbye to all of them, and stop trying to keep them with me. So I will be avoiding a lot of phone calls when the lawn maintenance season begins.

All it takes is one annoying client to ruin an entire season. So the tricky thing for me, is to be able to deal with all of these kinds of clients (new and old), and to keep them out of my personal space.

Why do you feel in the past you would have lowered it but now you went the opposite way?

I just feel that if a client is going to be a hassle, they need to be charged more from now on. I'm not sure how I will be able to predict this prior to knowing how the client will be, but we will have to figure that out when the season begins.

If I am doing work at my standard price for an annoying client, I feel like I'm wasting my time. There is no worse feeling then going to work with someone always on your arse, and that's why we started our businesses, right? We wanted to get away from that.

When I charge a client an outrageous high price, it's still a loss if they continue to harass me. Though, the money they are paying can sometimes be worth putting up with, sometimes it actually makes things worse.

CHEESE2009
02-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Lol... The victory party is cancelled.

The client is still calling my phone daily. Obviously I don't answer all of his calls, that would just be stupid. It hasn't snowed or rained for weeks, it's actually been really nice out. Yet, this client continues to call me...

There is absolutely no reason for him to be calling me continuously. If he's testing a companies reliability based on their willingness to answer every phone call, well, that's just sad.

Let's listen to my voicemail;

YESTERDAY
1. "Are you able to brush the salt off of the front walkway, onto the driveway?"

2. "Scott I'm still waiting for you to come and clean the salt off my walkway."

3. "You got my message this morning, to clean my steps. Are you coming today, please let me know".

Ok. So I did my job, but apparently he wants me to clear the salt off of his walkway.... What planet am I on?

TODAY
4. "Can you please come and remove the ice from my walkway, there is ice everywhere".

So apparently there is ice on his walkway even though it hasn't snowed or rained for weeks. I call B.S. Plus, why on earth would I remove the salt from his walkway? WHY WOULD I REMOVE SALT FROM HIS WALKWAY?!

WHY WOULD I REMOVE SALT FROM HIS WALKWAY AND PUT SALT BACK ON HIS WALKWAY TO REMOVE ICE THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!!

SOMEONE TELL ME WHY!!!!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! !

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/02/27/hulk-edward-norton-transfor.jpg

bruces
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
please see post 5 ,.....nuff said .

Steve
02-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh jeeze Scott, so what did you do?