PDA

View Full Version : Re-Starting My Business

Flynn_Landscaping
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I have been out for a little under a year and i am missing it, i miss being my own boss and a boss, i miss the decent amount of customers i had i just miss it all... i hate working at a "job" where layoffs and stuff can happen and having rude or dumb bosses who know nothing about nothing, i am almost done earning my bachelors degree in business admin so now im not some guy who just started i am now a business man who knows how to do the job and do it right.

Steve
01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Welcome Back!

What's your view on why you got out of the business and how do you feel things have changed and your view has changed to allow you to get back into it?

How is it different now restarting than when you first started it?

sunsetlandscaping
03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I too have been out of the game for awhile, but this time, I think I am going to do a little more landscaping versus lawn care, but still mow, and the leaf clean up, oh, what a money maker. I got discouraged back 2 years ago because the dump where I dumped the leaves was only open 2 days a week, sweet jesus, I was backed up with leaf clean ups out the wazoo. But I am starting back because this time I bought 20 acres, so I can put the leaves anywhere, and turn in into compost the following year.

Steve
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I got discouraged back 2 years ago because the dump where I dumped the leaves was only open 2 days a week

Is that what caused you to get out of the business for a while? Or were there other issues too? How do you feel this time around will be different for you?

sunsetlandscaping
03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
There were other issues as well. I new I was moving about an hour south, so I didn't see the point in retaining the name and the business. I only had like maybe 4 or 5 regular customers. A lot of it is my fault too, because I didn't consistently advertise. I am hoping to add more services down the road including hardscaping. I have to mix it up a little bit, otherwise, it is just as monotonous as any other job I've had, minus the employer. This time, I am going to be ready, where as before I didn't even have a set hourly rate. I just bid blind, and wasn't careful with my spending. Hey, I take it as a lesson learned. We are all human after all.

Steve
03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I have to mix it up a little bit, otherwise, it is just as monotonous as any other job I've had, minus the employer.

That is a great point. It's something I bet a lot of newer business owners don't think about either.

How long into running your business did you start to feel the monotony? What kinds of things help you break that feeling? What should others do to?

sunsetlandscaping
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
That is a great point. It's something I bet a lot of newer business owners don't think about either.

How long into running your business did you start to feel the monotony? What kinds of things help you break that feeling? What should others do to?

Well, I think that you have to be somewhat prepare before starting any kind of dedication, especially self employment. My way to defeat the monotony and the "burnt out feeling" is leave work at the door. Know when to get out of town for the weekend. Ah, the lessons learned.

Steve
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
My way to defeat the monotony and the "burnt out feeling" is leave work at the door.

That is a good plan. I think a lot of newer business owners underestimate how much extra work there is though beyond just mowing lawns. The paperwork can really eat up a lot of time if you are not careful with the way you have things set up and managed.