PDA

View Full Version : I am Soooo Broke

Ducke
01-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Man I am so sick and tired of sitting on my a$$ and doing nothing.
No snow:mad: No work:( No money:eek:
Things are really getting tight around the house hold.
I am going to go see a lady about painting out her bathroom tomorrow.
I figure its worth $100.00 at least.
What is everyone doing with all their free time ??????
I have maintained most of my equipment and cleaned and reorganized my shop.
Built a new work bench and added a couple of cabinets. I have my paperwork ready for my Taxes and my flyers are ready to go my renewal letter are posted.
I just don't know what to do with myself now.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Almost done with my taxes. I still have some items to put in.

I bought some promotional items for spring. Getting that all ready for when its time.

I'm waiting on another part to finish rebuilding a mowing deck but its 90% finished. I wish it was here because today was warm. Have all my blades sharpened already.

Looking for another truck, another ztr and a bigger trailer.

CHEESE2009
01-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Ducke,

I stare at a wall all day until I am ready to fall asleep.

Without snow, there is NOTHING to do, especially when money is tight.

I feel like I'm wasting away.

WeedTerminatorTom
01-28-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm in a similar situation**treading water financially until the season comes around. I'm selling a bunch of things on eBay and craigslist, with mixed results.

Sprinkler Buddy
01-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Be thankful we still have a job, many out there with No or Little Hope.

JeffK26
01-29-2012, 01:37 AM
We're handing out flyers for lawn service in are target area.

Plus we printed out postcard sized flyers advertising leaf removal and gutter cleaning and drive around and when we see a yard with tons of leaves I stop the truck, the wife gets out, and puts the flyer on the door. Handed out 70 of them last Thursday and already got two calls. I did the estimates on those two calls yesterday.

We've had a mild winter, no snow with temps in the 40 half the week and the other half being in the 50's with high of 60 a few times.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-29-2012, 02:18 AM
We're handing out flyers for lawn service in are target area.

Plus we printed out postcard sized flyers advertising leaf removal and gutter cleaning and drive around and when we see a yard with tons of leaves I stop the truck, the wife gets out, and puts the flyer on the door. Handed out 70 of them last Thursday and already got two calls. I did the estimates on those two calls yesterday.

We've had a mild winter, no snow with temps in the 40 half the week and the other half being in the 50's with high of 60 a few times.

Already going door to door? I thought I was early getting all my flyers ready.

Same weather here. So far 3 plowable events and 1 of them only half the lots had to be done.

I cant complain though, a little bored but I had my highest quarter at the end of the year and projected to repeat for the beginning of 2012.

picframer
01-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I had thought back in the fall when I suggested an area for clean up's in our city you had a winter job...??

It's been tough on snow removal this season for sure, maybe pick up a warehouse job for the next few months or something along those lines to keep the cash flow going.

dpld
01-29-2012, 09:51 AM
i hear you ducke, this particular winter blows.

one stinking snow storm with none on the horizon, all my contracts are done and i am so bored i am sending contracts to companies i never even worked for.

i have done my taxes and my accountant tells me that the IRS is so back logged that they are not even accepting them at the moment which i really don't care too much about because at least all the figureing is done.

i am glad though i found this place because i have been busy here and it has been occupying my time.

well, if all else fails, here is to a early spring for everyone.

JeffK26
01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Already going door to door? I thought I was early getting all my flyers ready.

The early bird gets the worm, plus I'm new and need to get my name out there. I have read on here and websites offering flyer tips to flyer the same homes 3 times to get results. Jan is the first, Feb will be the 2nd and March will be the 3rd and March is about the time people start thinking about getting things in the yard done and they have seen my flyer 3 times by then.

I'll continue handing them out afterward as well, but I'll pick 4 more neighborhoods to start the 3 month process on them as well.

I'm tired of sitting around. I need to do something!!!!!

dpld
01-29-2012, 10:24 AM
The early bird gets the worm, plus I'm new and need to get my name out there. I have read on here and websites offering flyer tips to flyer the same homes 3 times to get results. Jan is the first, Feb will be the 2nd and March will be the 3rd and March is about the time people start thinking about getting things in the yard done and they have seen my flyer 3 times by then.

I'll continue handing them out afterward as well, but I'll pick 4 more neighborhoods to start the 3 month process on them as well.

I'm tired of sitting around. I need to do something!!!!!

it is never too early to get things going and i traditionally spend the months of november, december and january getting my ducks in a row for the spring because come march most people have decided who they will use for the year weeks prior.

i know it varies from region to region but in my area come febuary and march if that is when you start on your offseason promo's you will most likely have a not so lucky and busy year.

as you said, it's the early bird that catches the worm.

Chilehead
01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Here in Atlanta, we go through a period of no to little property maintenance from late December till late March. Quite literally, what winter is on a calendar: 12-21 through 3-21 EVERY YEAR. We do not offer snow removal because it is rare that we ever have any, yet it gets cold enough that everything living goes dormant. What do I do? This: patios, retaining walls, ponds & waterfalls, putting greens, pergolas, decks, outdoor kitchens, winter deep pruning of woody shrubs (if required), gutter cleaning, interior painting, junk removal, etc. Conversely, there have been years (like this one) where people are just not buying anything no matter how much I market my business. When this happens, my suggestion is to get a temporary job somewhere. Contact a temp agency and your local department of labor in addition to pounding pavement. I have learned that nagging the crap out of an employer will usually get you a job sooner than later. Once you land a position, work as much as you can until the season comes, at which time you can step it down to part time work somewhere. Why? Use it for health insurance and funding your retirement. Someone can do this with as little as 8 hours a week. Best wishes!

dpld
01-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Here in Atlanta, we go through a period of no to little property maintenance from late December till late March. Quite literally, what winter is on a calendar: 12-21 through 3-21 EVERY YEAR. We do not offer snow removal because it is rare that we ever have any, yet it gets cold enough that everything living goes dormant. What do I do? This: patios, retaining walls, ponds & waterfalls, putting greens, pergolas, decks, outdoor kitchens, winter deep pruning of woody shrubs (if required), gutter cleaning, interior painting, junk removal, etc. Conversely, there have been years (like this one) where people are just not buying anything no matter how much I market my business. When this happens, my suggestion is to get a temporary job somewhere. Contact a temp agency and your local department of labor in addition to pounding pavement. I have learned that nagging the crap out of an employer will usually get you a job sooner than later. Once you land a position, work as much as you can until the season comes, at which time you can step it down to part time work somewhere. Why? Use it for health insurance and funding your retirement. Someone can do this with as little as 8 hours a week. Best wishes!

i used to work a winter job in the early years as i am sure most here do if need be, but in this economy winter jobs are a hard find as well as most employers don't even want to know you because they know as soon as your work picks up you are gone.

i am not one to condone or suggest lying but when it comes to finding winter employment as a business owner you need to stretch the truth a little and not let them know you have a business.

as i said, i am a firm believer in honesty is the best policy but in this particular case this is the one time honesty will most likely end up in you and your family going hungry.

grasseater
01-29-2012, 04:07 PM
South Louisiana, we have never know what snow removal is. Sorry for you guys. We just finished removing the last of the leaves and the grass is growing. We are starting to mow but the ground is realy soft so we are moving much slower.

In December a customer drank himself to death. The family asked me to clean out his storage shed and they did not want to save anything, not a thing. I sold things on eBay and my wife had two yard sales with his junk and this brought in a little over $5K. It really made December OK.

I just want to remind everyone to make sure you have a web page, a facebook page and a Google place page. My last 23 new customers came from Google and having a web site. Same story each time when I asked. New to the area, googled lawn care for our area and I was the first on the list with a web site. Not near first on the list under google but the first with a web page the could look at. If you are bored at home spend some time improving your web site and google place.

My web site is not fancy, I did it myself. campbelllawn.com

jymie
01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
This may sound really sh*tty, but maybe offer a service like picking up doggy crap, since no snow on the ground it would not be tough to see. Maybe that could help get over the hump this winter?

Ducke
01-29-2012, 07:13 PM
I had thought back in the fall when I suggested an area for clean up's in our city you had a winter job...??

It's been tough on snow removal this season for sure, maybe pick up a warehouse job for the next few months or something along those lines to keep the cash flow going.

Had a job Nov to Mid Jan, Been off since Jan 5th guess I did the job a bit to fast.
Know I am living off what i made last season and that is not going very far.
I may have a small painting job next week Just a small bathroom. one days work. Then I will find something else.

Ducke
01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
This may sound really sh*tty, but maybe offer a service like picking up doggy crap, since no snow on the ground it would not be tough to see. Maybe that could help get over the hump this winter?

Been over this one already on this forum, I wouldn't do it then and I won't do it now sorry but there are just something I don't do. One is sell my Body:eek: (Not that anyone would pay for it) I don't know were I would put all the penny's :D and pick up dog $hit.

CHEESE2009
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
One is sell my Body:eek: (Not that anyone would pay for it)

DAMN IT!!!! lmao j/k.

As for picking up dog crap it is a loss.

Pros:

Not much

Cons:

Can't get away with charging for what it's worth
It takes a lot of time
Lots of bending = back pain
You WILL step in it
It stinks
Bags are expensive

-

There is so little to do in winter 'outdoors', that we're stuck working indoors which is dreadful (to me).

Johnny_boy02
01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
This thread is funny.

I could loose all my customers and I still wouldn't stoop so low as to shovel $hit for a living.

I still have all my pet waste removal customers, and adding more. 1 rotation a month of grass cuts, some lock changes, and other random things for the preservation company I contract for. I drained a pool, changed a lock, padlocked a broken garage door and mowed a overgrown yard today.

I will be working again tomorrow.

Since work is only about 50% of what it is in the summer I bought a project truck and have been working on that. Disposable income sure is nice.

CHEESE2009
01-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Before I started lawn care, I was going to start up a painting company.

The only problem was my lack of knowledge on paint products, and I wasn't very interested.

From what I have gathered in the past, it's best to charge $1 per square foot for whatever it is you are painting.

-

A cool service for those who are desperate;

Go out late at night/early morning and remove the snow and ice off of vehicles. Could be interesting.

^ Personally, it only takes 5 minutes of idling to get all the ice off, and the snow isn't much of a problem. Hmm....

CS-LawnService
01-30-2012, 09:18 AM
i just been ridding the 4wheelers relaxing and starving through the winter

The plow truck just sits and looks lonely right now :(

Thankfully 3 deer during hunting season at least allows me to eat some meat a couple times a week and the wife working full time keeps a roof over my head.

come on spring time

JeffK26
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
i know it varies from region to region but in my area come febuary and march if that is when you start on your offseason promo's you will most likely have a not so lucky and busy year.

Yeah, hopefully I'm right in my strategy and didn't inadvertently hit the snooze button.

petscanning
01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Thankfully I have a full time job but this winter sucks @. I went and bought a snow blower for the winter and we haven't had more than one sprinkle of snow. Last year we had several blizzard. I know this is Oklahoma and I shouldnt have bought it probably but I wanted to try and capitalize on some snow. Oh well I'll just have to keep eating "I told you so cereal" from my wife till I can use it. I saw a guy mulching leaves with his maybe I'll be reduced to that:D

sonoranoasis
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
We're in AZ where the weather is great in the winter and you suffer through the unbearable heat in the summer. I agree with those who said that getting ready for the Spring with promotional items, marketing, and getting on social media is what should be worked on now.

If you have time, get some new training or add a certification to your services. Lots of training can be found online now. It takes awhile but pays off. And, it's better than just sitting around waiting for something to happen.

Ducke
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
We're in AZ where the weather is great in the winter and you suffer through the unbearable heat in the summer. I agree with those who said that getting ready for the Spring with promotional items, marketing, and getting on social media is what should be worked on now.

If you have time, get some new training or add a certification to your services. Lots of training can be found online now. It takes awhile but pays off. And, it's better than just sitting around waiting for something to happen.

As the Thread Title says I Broke not lazy.
I have all my flyers ready to go I have my internet ads up and running My equipment is maintained and ready to go,I am keeping in touch with my customers and maintaining my Blog and web site.
I am doing networking at community events. Its the work I miss its being suck inside due to lack of Snow removal work.I just like to be busy 10-15 hours a day work work work

gardenbarber
02-05-2012, 03:59 AM
Been over this one already on this forum, I wouldn't do it then and I won't do it now sorry but there are just something I don't do. One is sell my Body:eek: (Not that anyone would pay for it) I don't know were I would put all the penny's :D and pick up dog $hit.

Amen brother