PDA

View Full Version : The Garden Ninja Checking In

The Garden Ninja
01-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new here and am excited at all the great info I see already. I'm brand new to the business but have been in love with landscaping since I bought my home 8 years ago.

I'm just starting out but have tons of enthusiasm and a lot of what I feel will be fresh ideas that will help me stand out.

I'm looking forward to this next step of my life!

Steve
01-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things will you be doing to promote your business this year?

The Garden Ninja
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I've already registered thegardenninja.com at vistaprint and am building the website. I have The Garden Ninja started on facebook and already doing some building through existing friends and family members.

I've looked at door hangers but they have a very high cost and am unsure how effective they will be. I'm liking the idea of offering a first mow free to get me on the property, and give me the opportunity to earn the business.

What's your opinion of door hangers? Worth the investment?

CHEESE2009
01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
On your site
We hope you can find everything you need. Company Name is focused on providing high-quality service and customer satisfaction - we will do everything we can to meet your expectations. :p

Welcome to the underworld. You are just in time for our annual 'sacrifice of a virgin' meet up.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_95qP-rDvZ7k/Sb0jlne8zlI/AAAAAAAAAhc/t5FSrdlBR1E/s320/sacrifice.jpg
pictured above: last year

Welcome brother.

The Garden Ninja
01-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that page was just the template that loaded from vistaprint, I've done some customization, but going to work on getting it into shape this weekend.

Whats the general consensus on door hangers? They seem pretty pricy compared to others forms of advertising. I'd love any input.

thegroundscrew
01-27-2012, 01:36 AM
The Garden Ninja type in "door hangers" on the customized google search on the center top of this page and it will come with a lot of threads. It will explain the importance, show sample designs, and the process of distributing! I hope this will help you. Good luck! How do you plan on getting customers? door hangers, etc?

jymie
01-27-2012, 08:04 AM
You will want to check with the village or town halls in your area to see if a peddlers license is required for going door to door. In my village, I have to have a license to distribute door to door. They charge $50 and it is good for 60 days. You tell them the day you want to begin, then 60 days later you can get another one if you still want to distribute.

Steve
01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
The most important thing is to be out meeting people. So whether it's door hangers, flyers, business cards, or whatever, as long as you are out meeting new people and getting a chance to talk to them about their lawn care issues, you are going to be growing.

Don't forget to market to the neighbors of your current customers as well. That is a great way to expand your customer base.

The Garden Ninja
01-28-2012, 02:24 AM
The Garden Ninja type in "door hangers" on the customized google search on the center top of this page and it will come with a lot of threads. It will explain the importance, show sample designs, and the process of distributing! I hope this will help you. Good luck! How do you plan on getting customers? door hangers, etc?

I see customer acquisition happening in a couple of different ways, both word of mouth via friends and family (everyone who knows me knows what an affection and affinity I have for landscaping and have been championing me for years to start my own business), as well as hitting the streets as it were with door hangers and flyer drops.

I also thought of offering customers in more well traveled areas who agree to keep one of my yard signs a small discount as well.

With so many landscape services out there I know I will have to both work hard and be innovative to stand out.

Sprinkler Buddy
01-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Ninja.

jymie
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I also thought of offering customers in more well traveled areas who agree to keep one of my yard signs a small discount as well.

Keep in mind before you spend a ton of money getting lawn signs, code enforcement in my area regularly takes down those road signs. At most you may get a couple days if they are near the street. Try to put them up near the houses of the customers.

The Garden Ninja
02-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Keep in mind before you spend a ton of money getting lawn signs, code enforcement in my area regularly takes down those road signs. At most you may get a couple days if they are near the street. Try to put them up near the houses of the customers.

I had planned on putting them near the the front walkway, but they aren't 100% for certain yet.

I did splurge a bit for a logo...but $150 for high end graphic work is quite reasonable, and something that is a long term investment.

I'm thinking flyer mailers/drops around my neighborhood is going to be my first stop...anyone have some suggestions? I'm thinking of concentrating my efforts in smaller areas first to minimize my travel time, good/bad idea?

Steve
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking flyer mailers/drops around my neighborhood is going to be my first stop...anyone have some suggestions? I'm thinking of concentrating my efforts in smaller areas first to minimize my travel time, good/bad idea?

Sounds good to me. Get out and meet the home owners in the area you want to service and hand them a piece of your marketing material. Then also do this to the neighbors of your current customers. Keep your routes tight and that will help you minimize expenses and maximize profits.