PDA

View Full Version : Less teenagers running their own business?

Steve
06-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Have you found less teenagers are running their own business?

This article seems to think that is the case.

Todayís teens overlook lawn care as summer job prospect (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jun/19/todays_teens_overlook_lawn_care_summer_job_prospec/) - Few things say American capitalism in miniature better than the lawn boy. But in a country of after-school jobs at Abercrombie, teenagers with their own, parentally issued credit cards and a growing market of professional landscapers, itís no longer high on the list of what-I-did-on-my-summer-vacation plans.

The number of teenagers offering lawn-mowing services are definitely small, according to Junior Achievement, which surveys teens across the U.S. about their summer job plans. Only 6.2 percent of those surveyed this year plan to cut lawns during the summer. Thatís a slight uptick over the past two years (5.3 percent in 2006 and 4.4 percent in 2005), but still a fraction of those seeking work.

Todayís teenagers are most likely to choose retail, office or restaurant jobs to earn their summer spending money, says Darrell Luzzo, senior vice president of education at Junior Achievement. And theyíre mindful of developing their resumes for college and future job hunting as they choose those jobs.

tiedeman
06-19-2007, 08:27 PM
my whole opinion on the matter:

Most kids today, not all, are spoiled and don't want to get their hands dirty. Also, with the price of fuel, number of older lawn care companys, and the cost of equipment, kids can not afford to go into business anymore without having some major cash upfront.

Steve
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
There must be something to be said about all of that. I am amazed that the number of teenagers getting into the business has declined. Ultimately this should be good news for established lawn care operations.

tiedeman
06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Perhaps in the long run it could be very good news