PDA

View Full Version : Secure your trailers YIKES!

Steve
07-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Now if this isn't every lawn care business owner's nightmare. His trailer detatches and slams into a school bus carrying special needs children and injures a bunch of them.

I can see a trailer detatching from the hitch, MAYBE, but what about the chains holding it to the truck?

Jackson landscaping company pleads guilty to using unsafe equipment in school minibus crash (http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070712/NEWS/70712041) - A local landscaping company has pleaded guilty to two of four summonses for unsafe equipment issued after a March 9 crash on East Commodore Boulevard, in which a trailer dislodged from one of the company's dump trucks and plowed into a school minibus.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
07-26-2007, 11:29 AM
I'd like to see the report on that one. *Three mechanical things come to mind, the locking lever wasn't secured *to keep the trailer hooked to the ball or pintle, chains weren't used, something broke from damage or neglect, or a combination of all of the above.

Since mechanical failure as a primary causation factor is less than 1%, my money says somebody likely screwed up by not securing all safety devices.

Steve
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Can you imagine, looking out your window and seeing your trailer pass you? http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Its even more shocking to see a trailer with a 10 ton roller or a 28 ft boat headed all by its lonesome right at you.

The trailer with the roller took out a whole row of cars at a dealership a few years back. The boat went sailing (no pun intended) down one of our main drags and took out a car and ended up in somebody's front yard. I don't recall for sure the cause of the boat trailer breaking loose, but I want to say the receiver on the tow vehicle was rusted and broke off.

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Quote[/b] ]Can you imagine, looking out your window and seeing your trailer pass you?

I looked out my window once and saw my lawn mower pass me as I rounded a bend.

Luckily, it was the 22" Murray and not the 48" walkbehind. My workmate failed to secure it to the trailer after a job. Luckily, we were on a country lane. The mower rolled harmlessly into a ditch.