PDA

View Full Version : Creating a safety program

Red Panda
11-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I am very curious to see if anyone has started up a Saftey Program for their company??

If so can you let me know how that went for you.
I would like to put one together for any new employees that I may hire in the future, if I get that big.

Thanks Jason:)

Tinkersgarden
11-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Jason, That's a GREAT idea! We all use big equipment and that makes safety a number one priority! This just happened last month, my son had his friend help him with the lawns and when they pulled in the driveway, I was horrified to find his friend who helped him all day, in flip flops!!!!! I yelled at both of them because what 'could've' happened flashed before my eyes! Not to mention the fact that they BOTH know a person that had his toes removed by a lawnmower because he was wearing flip flops!! I plan on spending sometime this winter to writing policies/job descriptions.

Amy

Steve
11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Great idea.

We can start one right here. Besides not wearing flip flops, what other safety policies or procedures should you or your employees follow?

Let's make a list.

justin_time
11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Here's what I recommend

Safety boots/shoes
Safety glasses
Hearing protection
Hard hat (for tree work)
Reflector vest (for working next to a road/ditch)

You can add to my list

R&B Enterprise
11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Here's what I recommend

Safety boots/shoes
Safety glasses
Hearing protection
Hard hat (for tree work)
Reflector vest (for working next to a road/ditch)

You can add to my list

First aid Kit (get one big enough to handle the size of crew working)
Fire exstinusher
Saftey cones or Triangles

lawnindustryconsultants.com
11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I have some questions on this subject.
How many use this idea?
Also, How many employees obide by the safety rules?

Red Panda
11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I think R&B hit the nail on the head here.
Although You do need an aborist grade safty pants, hard hat, face shield, i f you are doing that type of work. Even Still I recommend a face shied when using trimmers and edgers, rocks fly, DO you still want your eyes are scars on your face cuz of this??

I bring this subject up cuz a fellow in Calgary was killed driving a vehicle and Workers COmpensation came in and audited their company to see if there was ineffcient vehicle records and such.

I may take saftey for granted sometimes but still we all need to be awareof it.

Example that happened to me on NOv 3. was I was using a hand saw and never slowed down at the end of my cut and I was going to fast anyway. Well I finished the cut and put 8 small holes in my knee, which in turn went to the bone. I am still limping around at times.

Just an example. BY the how many of us actually read the manufactures specs on machinery we buy?

THeres my two scents. Jason

Lets keep it safe out there Please!!