PDA

View Full Version : b & c

jtb5w
01-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Hello, my name is Joe Barnes from Murfreesboro Tennessee. I own b & c landscaping and lawn care and have for 3 years.

Sprinkler Buddy
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Joe.

jtb5w
01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks, I have been in this business for 3 years, and have never seen anything lik it. AWESOME!!

Steve
01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Welcome Joe!

What got you interested in starting your own business and what kinds of things are you looking to do this year, differently than last?

jtb5w
01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
3 years ago my job was dissolved, so I was placed on the night shift. Soon after I decide to start attending MTSU in Murfreesboro, TN. In my 2nd semester I was laid off. Soon after a member of my wife's family that owned a small lawn care business was getting a full time job, so I took my retirement and purchased the business, around 20 residential customers. Since I have gained a couple of commercial accounts, but this winter is my first year to diligently seek larger accounts, such as apartment complexes. I have had a few positive responses, but there is a ton of competition in this area. It seems to be very cut throat. Alot of underbidding takes place, but I have stood by my quality of work and love the template you have, the sticker template of no-low-balling. My clients have so far been loyal, so I am thankful. I believe God has a plan in this, even in the lean times. trial builds character, and God builds this character so He can use us.

Steve
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
How have you found the experience to buy into a business that already had customers? Do you feel it was helpful? Would you recommend others to do that or do you feel you would have liked to have started it from scratch?

Do you notice any differences between the customers you purchased and the ones you got through your marketing?

jtb5w
01-27-2012, 11:12 AM
the 1st season there was be a lot of questions, and I learned a lot just by finding answers for them and myself. The only customers I have acquired are 2 commercial accounts and 2 residential. I lost 2 of the customers I purchased after the 1st season, and have decided was because of poor communication on my part and unspoken expectations on theirs. This is my 1st season of true marketing for business. I am hoping to focus on full maintenance residential. There are a lot of higher end residential in our area. If I can acquire several I will sell my 2 commercial accounts. This is the plan.

Steve
01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I lost 2 of the customers I purchased after the 1st season, and have decided was because of poor communication on my part and unspoken expectations on theirs.

Can you talk about what happened with these situations? I think it's a really important topic because all to often, customers drop their lawn care service provider and the provider never knows why.

jtb5w
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
To the best of my knowledge I feel that the previous owner may have done extras like spraying beds or weeds w/out charge, and in my case I will always maintain beds and mulch I have placed constructed or initiated. When some folks say $40 to mow their lawn, they mean $40 to mow, weed beds, trim seasonal shrubs, and maintain all aspects. We must be clear. This is not a hobby. Many customers to no fault of their own assume all these services can be funded by$40 a week. Some know good and well it cannot, but are not concerned. Our area has a ton of residential turnover. People promise these extra services at a cheap price, but have no intentions to fulfill them. As long as they have the customer for that season, it does not concern many. Therefore the rep. of landscapers is blemished by Lawn Care businesses, and there is a difference, and some do both, but when we do both we need to be educated and know what both entails, and how they should be priced.

Steve
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
but when we do both we need to be educated and know what both entails, and how they should be priced.

That is a very good point I think a lot of business owners over look. As you started to educate the customer on prices and services, do you feel it helped you sell more and upsell them on additional services? Or do you feel the customers pushed back and decline the service all together in hopes of just finding someone cheaper who was unreliable and might be around for the season and that's it?

bnclawncare
01-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Hello, my name is Joe Barnes from Murfreesboro Tennessee. I own b & c landscaping and lawn care and have for 3 years.

Hi Joe, Welcome. My company name used to be B & C Lawn Care before I changed it to BNC Lawn Care.

jtb5w
01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
I have people say BNC when they ask and I tell them B & C. It probably has alot to do w/ my accent.

jtb5w
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I feel maybe 2 out of 10 appreciate the knowledge, and like to see Landscapers that are professional. On the other hand our area has so been saturated w/ low balling and the push to get as many $20 yards as possible. When you come in higher you are set off right away. Even commercial properties in this area have become like this. I have a couple of commercial properties, and once they see the quality there is no hesitation when bidding time comes around, but I cannot low ball just to get in the door. HHEELLP!!:

Steve
02-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Are there certain areas that would be more willing to pay for higher quality lawn care in your area than others? Are you focusing on those areas?

jtb5w
02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
I have been to a couple of areas twice in the off season w/ information and plan to go 2 more times. I also have put together packages for the 12 season in hopes to bring about full service clients.

Steve
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
That sounds great! Keep us posted on how all that marketing goes.