PDA

View Full Version : How do i expand into lawn treatment ?

frodsham gardens
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
We at Frodsham Gardens have been trading for several years maintaining customers gardens here in the UK to a very high standard.
This year i have decided that we are loosing out on a large slice of the market by not providing Lawn care (treatments,scarifying,aeration).
I realise i need to offer this service instead of subbying it out.
I am hoping for advise from you lovely people on the best ways to go about this.I dont believe scarifying,aeration is a major issue.I believe(may be wrong)that all i need is commercial petrol machines and they do the work.
The lawn treatment are what is bothering me.1.what do i need.2.where do i get it.3.best times to use etc.
Please Please help me get started.
We already have a large client base so hopefully i can get them to come to me. Cheers i advance Paul .Frodsham Gardens.

dpld
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
i have a lifelong freind who's family is from the UK and i must say you guys take your gardens very seriously as well as have some of the finest on the planet.

it is really difficult to offer any suggestions because i would believe that things are very different in the UK vs the states from weather, licensing, fee's as well as marketing.

even though we both speak english the meaning of our words and terms varies greatly.

i know based on my freinds "mum" as he calls her i was discussing to her that i was " certified " as a tree expert and IPM tech and she at first looked at me as if i were crazy.
i then learned that in america being certified meant being properly trained and licensed but she said in the UK being "certified " meant you were well on your way to the looney bin.

i always loved to hear that woman speak, the tone of her voice and the differences in her choice of words.
from refferring to the hood of a car as a "bonnet" and instead of checking the oil it was "checking the level".
even my freind would refer to going to the bathroom as going to the " loo" (hope i spelled it right).
i am sure many things are the same in your industry in the UK as they are here in the states but at the same time everything is so different from plant species as well as how you go about it i would not even know where to begin.

either way, it's always nice to chat with someone on the other side of the pond.