PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon water tank

Leon
01-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know how to make a water tank out of 55gallon plastic. I want to make one so when I am out I can have a water source to water plant beds.
I know I need a small water pump and a garden hose. Any ideas on this and do you think it will work?

Thanks Leon

CHEESE2009
01-23-2012, 04:50 AM
You can probably create one using an air compressor or... bike pump...

It would be a pretty complex tool to use, but I like the idea of building one. :D

I have tried to siphon gasoline from my equipment using plastic wrap, tape, and a straw along with a bike pump. I could not get enough pressure inside the gas tanks to make it actually work. My seal wasn't too great.

If you have a perfect seal, it is possible, but it will take forever if pumping, if it doesn't work you could cause an explosion lol.

You would need most likely 50% air and 50% water, or more air than water inside of the barrel/drum or container...

You would also need an exit point for the water, it could be the same area the air is entering the barrel/drum/container, but this would be primitive and time consuming. There is no fail-safe and you could end up wasting your time. I'd have to try, but I have a feeling you would have to continuously provide air pressure while using the 'tool', once the pressure inside the 'barrel' drops it would most likely become useless.

I'm going to draw up a picture, because this is awesome.

bruces
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
find someone selling "pony pumps " they have a 12 volt model that screws to a garden hose on each end ,these pumps are good quality ,around $100.00 ,small ,and will work fine for your use .You will need to have a vent in your barrel but other than that this is an easy project .

rbnmy240
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
there is a DIY video on YouTube. I remember looking into this project but i never got around to it lol

Steve
01-24-2012, 02:10 PM
There are a bunch of videos on youtube for instance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Oag42LhgMoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leon
01-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks I found this on youtube, Seem perfect

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iRNnh-4O63I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve
01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Take some pictures and show us what you ultimately create.

Leon
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I did this a few day ago I am going to hook up a stronger pump and a power source I can control from the inside of the truck, or maybe on the truck bed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a5_cg0-jd9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bruces
02-11-2012, 11:06 AM
try putting your water pump on the ground ,I think your pump is unable to draw the water up to the height of your truck easy enough .Also ,with almost every type of water pump ,you should never run it without it being full of water as the seals require the water to lubricate and cool themselves ,wich will result in leaks .

Leon
02-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes I am going to mount the pump lower to improve water flow. This was just a test run, I think the pump did good even at that height it worked. Over the next few week I am going to paint the barrel an logo it up I am going to try to make it customer attractive. If I can come up with a self contained unit I could sell it to the customer that does not have a easy water source. Only cost me under $60. I am going to offer compost tea to my customer this year. 95% profit margin

Leon

Envision Lawn & Landscape
Can You Envision the Possibilities...We Can!

jymie
02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Nice job on that setup!

Steve
02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I am going to offer compost tea to my customer this year. 95% profit margin

That's genius! Keep us posted on how all that goes!