PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Lighting

CanadayLandscaping
01-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I have been brainstorming ideas to bring more customers and more money to my business.:D I installed some landscape lighting in my yard and on my deck last year, and have received many compliments on them. My wife suggested I start adding this to services I offer.

I decided this would be a good thing to offer, and noticed many of you also provide this service. Where do you guys who offer this get your supplies? You aren't getting them from big box stores I assume, I would guess you are getting them wholesale somewhere so you can make money on the supplies as well as the installation.

Any suggestions you guys have to get this side of my business going would be appreciated!! Thanks!:cool:

hawthornelawncare
01-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey there i would do a google search online for wholesale lighting in your area or places you can be a distributor.

i found a few site for you to check out

http://www.clarolux.com/Clarolux/claroluxHome_V2.asp

http://www.landscapelighting.com/

i would also maybe call a competitor who well isnt really a competitor that is in another county in your state and just see what landscape lighting they recommend and see if you cant find a place to get it or be a distributor of it.

CanadayLandscaping
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I am new to this landscape lighting installation. Thanks for the links, I checked them out and sent out for some information. I also found a few others on a google search.

I was just thinking though. Do I need a special license to install them for someone else? I wouldn't need an electricians license or anything like that do I? or a contractors license.

CanadayLandscaping
01-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Nevermind, I do need a license..... :mad:

jymie
01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
If your going to install solar lighting, I don't see that a license would be needed, not dealing with electricity.

arthur712
01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Since you both are here. LOL

Wayne, Did you get my email?

Chris, Did you get in to our Distributor site.

CanadayLandscaping
01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
No Artie, no email received, where did you send it? I checked my email and nothing. Private message me on here.

hawthornelawncare
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
hey there you want to do low voltage lighting. you wont need a license for that. inless your state or city requires it. usually for low voltage you dont have to.

and yes i got the distributor site

TiedemanLLC
01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Thats the biggest thing, check to make sure what the requirements of your state are. Some states, even though it's low voltage, still require you to have a license. I am personally lucky to do work in Michigan where we don't need a license.

To answer your question though about suppliers, I order mine anywhere from John Deere Landscapes to online. I normally use Kichler and Vista products. However, I am a big fan of Vista.

CanadayLandscaping
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I do need a license in North Carolina. It is a special license called SP-FA/LV. It is a license to certify me to install low voltage wires and fire alarms. It's about a $90 license.

Steve
01-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Are you going to go for it and get that license or did that deter you from going in this direction?

CanadayLandscaping
01-24-2012, 05:13 PM
@Steve: I really depends on how the pre-season contract signing goes. I also am notifying my current customers and letting them know this is something we are looking to head into and if there is a positive response.

To start I am going to get my pesticide license because there is an immediate need for that with my current clients.

Steve
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I think that is great! You will be experimenting with new services and seeing which one(s) give you the return this year that you are looking for. Keep us posted on all this.