PDA

View Full Version : Pesticide Application Licenses

CanadayLandscaping
01-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey everyone long time no post. I spent the end of last season recovering from neck surgery, and I debated about not doing the lawn maintenance this year at all, simply because I wasn't sure my neck or back would handle it. I've gotten stronger, and my passion for it has returned. With that being said:

I had many clients last year asking me to spray for weeds, both in flower beds, and drives and walks. I wouldn't do it, I explained I wasn't certified. Luckily for me, my clients liked my yard work so much, they were willing to overlook the fact I wouldn't spray.

I think this year, I am going to pay the money and get certified. But why do they make it so confusing. I am here in North Carolina, and they have so many Certs. I don't know which ones I need, then the exam books you have to buy, then finally the exam fee and licensing fees. Give me a break, talk about red tape.

I just think this would be a good step to make, and something I can promote, that many of these low ballers can't do, at least not legally. I sprayed a little my first year, then a buddy of mine, got caught spraying round up on a guys sidewalk cracks, $275 fine! That's when I stopped.

What do ya think? Think it's worth the headache of getting certified, or just continue not doing it?

mark123
01-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Being certified for pesticide application in PA still doesn't allow you to spray non-lawn areas like sidewalk cracks or driveways. If that's your goal you may want to ask about it at you local extension office. If that's your only reason for getting certified just make sure you're not wasting your time.

CanadayLandscaping
01-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Being certified for pesticide application in PA still doesn't allow you to spray non-lawn areas like sidewalk cracks or driveways. If that's your goal you may want to ask about it at you local extension office. If that's your only reason for getting certified just make sure you're not wasting your time.

I will double check that. My full time job is a gas line installer, one of my customers is one of the inspectors. He said it covers that, but good call, I will double check. I also want to start treating lawns as well, so it wouldn't be a complete waste.

Steve
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Being certified for pesticide application in PA still doesn't allow you to spray non-lawn areas like sidewalk cracks or driveways.

Very interesting! How do you handle such situations in your area if you are asked by a customer to do that?

I spent the end of last season recovering from neck surgery, and I debated about not doing the lawn maintenance this year at all, simply because I wasn't sure my neck or back would handle it.

I am sorry about your neck. Were you injured at all by performing lawn care work? Are you concerned that continuing such services this year will not allow it to heal properly?

mark123
01-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Very interesting! How do you handle such situations in your area if you are asked by a customer to do that?
I'll either offer to spray organic vege-kill or I tell them that I can't do it and explain what they need to buy and apply. For some reason it's legal for a homeowner to spray their sidewalks and cause all kinds of runoff and issues but for someone that is trained and licensed, it's a no go.

CanadayLandscaping
01-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Alright, I heard back from the Agriculture Inspector today. I need to pass a 100 question core exam and a 50 question ornamental and turf exam. This will give me the ability to apply pesticides/herbicides to lawns, flowerbeds, and sidewalks/parking area. The core exam is $50, the o and t is $20, if passed, there is a $75 annual license fee. I think I am going to go for it, and see what happens. I really want any advantage I can get when it comes to competition.

Steve: As far as my neck goes, I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. It sounds worse then it is, my disc are just weak. I had a back surgery 4 years ago, then my neck surgery. Believe it or not, I blew out the disc in my neck from a bad cough I had.

Steve
01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Wayne, keep healing up with your neck!

Let us know how it all goes with your experience going through the testing procedures.