PDA

View Full Version : Been 3 Years Since I've Checked In!

Dream Scapes
01-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Well fellas, its been awhile!

I really have slacked off these past few seasons with keeping up with the forums.

For those who remember, or those who know me from other sites know that I've gotten back into the groove of posting pictures.

For those who I've never met, let me introduce myself.

I'm Mitch. I am 18 years old and live in Central Illinois. Been mowing for as long as I can remember and really stepped things up when I was in 7th grade. Bought my White truck when I was 14 and legalized the biz in 2009.

Here I am now, about to turn 19 and I have two trucks, one trailer, two newer commercial mowers, a nice supply of STIHL handhelds, a shop i recently began renting, snowblowers, etc. About 40 regular lawn maintenance accounts, about 60 snow removal accounts and even registered applicator for Illinois. I am a part time student at local community college studying horticulture and fire science/EMT and work full time.

Heres some pictures from a few years ago....

-Mitch-

Dream Scapes
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
And now....

2004 Chevy K2500HD CC/LB Western
8'6" Western MVP
Sno Ex 575

1999 Chevy K2500 EC/SB
7'6" Western Uni Mount w/ Wings
Sno Ex 575

7x16 Trailer
BobCat 60" ZTR
WRIGHT 32" Stander
3 Lawn Boy 21"
STIHL Hand Helds
Toro/Troy Bilt Snow Blowers
Tons of Hand Tools, Etc.

30x60 Shop In Downtown Area. (15k Cars/Day Publicity)

1 Full Time, 1 Part Time Employee.

Enjoy!

-Mitch-

dpld
01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
good for you, and best of luck and continued success.

it's good to see that not all young kids these days are lazy and stupid!!!!

Steve
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Mitch,

Glad to see you back!

I bet you have a lot of great stories to share!

What has been your experience on getting the shop in the downtown area? How has that effected business? What made you go that route versus renting some space in a storage facility?

Chaz
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
30x60 shop is HUGE! (to me)

I was doing my business plan and noticed when i plan to upgrade to a larger area that my profit actually decreased from the first year, What are some benefits of the shop?

Dream Scapes
01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Dpld-thanks for the nice comments! Appreciate it.

Steve- thanks! The shop is a rental for now, with option to buy. I'm going to wait a year then see where I'm at and possibly buy. Not to easy for an 18 yr old to get a loan for something like that anyways......still can't even get me a loan without a cosigner!

The downtown location is awesome. 15k cars/day go by. Everyone has seen the sign, and I'm always gettting calls and texts about the building. The building was a former used car lot so there is plenty of room, office space, and even a full bath with shower!

I used to rent a storage unit and it was nice, but since I really don't have many other bills since I'm at home still, I could swing the extra expense of a nice shop with a heated garage and such. Its going to pay for itself nicely I can assure you of that.

Chaz- the building is a huge plus.

Publicity- I've got a lit sign 30" x 48" on a busy busy intersection. Office area for customers to come in and sit down for a meeting and design presentation, etc. Even made a small patio and retaining wall inside office.

Shop- I've got a big furnace in garage perfect for keeping salt warm and even have water access inside shop for washing equipment and such. There's a drain in the middle for water to drain which is a big help! Can pull both plow trucks inside and keep them warm while waiting for snow.

thegroundscrew
01-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Im overly excited for you. It's great that you found this awesome place in the downtown. I actually hate my storage unit so I'm kind of jealous. You should post some pictures of the inside and around it. Im curious to see what it looks like! Thanks and good luck this new year.

Dream Scapes
01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Im overly excited for you. It's great that you found this awesome place in the downtown. I actually hate my storage unit so I'm kind of jealous. You should post some pictures of the inside and around it. Im curious to see what it looks like! Thanks and good luck this new year.

Thanks man, I'm really thankful for it.

I will post some pictures tomorrow of both garage bays and the main office.

Thanks!

-Mitch

thegroundscrew
01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm not able to see the pictures dude!

Dream Scapes
01-23-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm not able to see the pictures dude!

I will get them up tomorrow.

-Mitch-

Chaz
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
having a large shop is such a huge pro for snow plowing.... it so nice to go when snow is nearly over or over and go out with clean truck, not digging for bags of salt and don't have to clear the truck of any snow and not getting snow all inside of it soaking the interior.

Steve
01-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Being that it used to be a car lot, could you use some of that parking space to sell bulk materials? Like mulch or stone or even salt?

With all those people driving by, it could make for some extra income and possibly pay for an assistant to answer phones at the location for you.

Chaz
01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Being that it used to be a car lot, could you use some of that parking space to sell bulk materials? Like mulch or stone or even salt?

With all those people driving by, it could make for some extra income and possibly pay for an assistant to answer phones at the location for you.

thats a great idea

Dream Scapes
01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry about the delay on pictures. I've got a ribbon cutting ceremony for chamber of commerce (recently joined) Friday afternoon and I've been scramming trying to get ready and go to school and we have been working at a commercial site ripping out evergreens. Ill get them up soon.

Being that it used to be a car lot, could you use some of that p
Parking space to sell bulk materials? Like mulch or stone or even salt?

Yes, I've got plans to get a few bins in the future. I don't think I want to do too much retail outside of my own jobsites but it'd be a nice asset to have for convenience. The parking lot is a really nice size. It is set up to fit 18 cars easily from previous businesses. It also has two entrances so a semi could deliver material pretty easily.

As far as an assistant, id love to have someone in there during the day to draw more attention, but idk for sure if its something I want to hire for. But something to think about.

-Mitch-

Steve
01-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry about the delay on pictures. I've got a ribbon cutting ceremony for chamber of commerce (recently joined) Friday afternoon and I've been scramming trying to get ready and go to school

Is this for your new facility? How did you manage to pull that all together? Will you be taking pictures of the ceremony? Will it be sent out to the local paper in a press release?

Tell us more about this! It sounds exciting!

Dream Scapes
01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Is this for your new facility? How did you manage to pull that all together? Will you be taking pictures of the ceremony? Will it be sent out to the local paper in a press release?

Tell us more about this! It sounds exciting!

Yes. I refer to it as "the shop" but it also is the office, head quarters, etc. I joined the chamber of commerce back in late December 2011 and the benefits are unbelievable! Yes, I have the gf taking pictures and such. Yes, it will be in the local paper. Mayor and a lot of big people on the commerce board will be there as well as a few guys from my fire dept, friends, clients, neighbors, etc.I was just in a business expo for local businesses and i attached a picture of my booth. It went great! It was nuts because that Thursday night we had been out plowing (total 30 hrs from thursday morning to friday etc.) then had to get everything ready for the expo, then catch some sleep, do the expo, then clean up parking lots after. What a weekend!!

As promised are the pictures of the interior of the shop. Bay 1 is for the mowing equipment. As you can see, i've been doing seasonal maintenance on the machines. Bay 2 is vehicle storage, repair, cleaning, etc. Salt pallets are stored inside as well as hand tools, fertilizer, etc.

Also I posted a few pictures of the expo booth. One is of my truck unloading stuff for the expo (got to drive into the facility, it was awesome!!) and the next is the booth. I had bulk material samples, pictures, etc.

-Mitch-

Steve
01-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Those are a lot of great pictures!

How did you enjoy doing the expo? Would you do it again next year? Would you change anything about the way you did it or your booth for the following year?

Dream Scapes
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Those are a lot of great pictures!

How did you enjoy doing the expo? Would you do it again next year? Would you change anything about the way you did it or your booth for the following year?

Thanks!

I really liked the expo. Yes! Next year I would like to get a bigger booth, have a door prize, maybe put up a block display or patio or park a plow truck inside to draw attention.

The ribbon cutting Friday went great. Proboably had 30+ people there! Clients, friends, family ,etc. As soon as I walked outside to get every1 together for the picture it started snowing! Ended up being out for 14 hours moving snow! Overall it was great and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the paper.

-Mitch-

Steve
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Mitch,

That is great news! Can you give other new start up business owners advice on how to pull together their own ribbon cutting ceremony? What should they do to get the whole thing started?

Looking back at yours, would you have liked to done it differently now?

Dream Scapes
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Mitch,

That is great news! Can you give other new start up business owners advice on how to pull together their own ribbon cutting ceremony? What should they do to get the whole thing started?

Looking back at yours, would you have liked to done it differently now?

There's not a lot to it. I arranged the plow trucks and trailer outside shop, and had the mowers all cleaned up and displayed in bay 1 as well as other equipment. I had pictures, brocuhures, pens, etc available for people as well as refreshments. I also had bulk material samples on display.

I wish I would have taken the overall picture in front of the building. I had the trucks on the side ofbay1 and you can see the plows and such but I wish I would have done the picture in front of the building. Ill post pictures as soon as I get them.

-Mitch-