PDA

View Full Version : 1st attempt flyers

joeblack
01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I will post a few of the first flyers i made for 2011. Feel free to NOT hold back on commenting b/c I want all the constructive criticism I can get. I used MSoffice.
I tried teaching myself Photoshop and I gave up. So, I signed up for a BCIS class at University of North Texas and I am learning how to use Photoshop right now. Well turns out I don't need the university class at all. Lynda.com is a complete training tool for photoshop among other programs. It costs a monthly subscription that you can cancel anytime, about $25/mo.
Anyhoo I'm excited about learning photoshop and creating lots and lots of material for 2012.

joeblack
01-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Here's 3 flyers I used last year, btw fail. fail. fail.
I am working on designing a logo that simply features the letters "JB".
I thought I wanted to make it a barb wire text but I am having difficulty free handing it. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
Oh and I am sticking with the company name "JB LAWN FIRM"

joeblack
01-19-2012, 08:46 PM
one other thing... it's kind of apparent, but I do not know how to embed files to the forum

jymie
01-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Well the crayon flyer would have made it into my trash can in record time, probably would not even read it actually. The other flyer, while it is better, it lacks information about you as a company. If you have a website, list it so they can research about you. Mention that you do free estimates, offer senior discount. Give them some reason to call you. A call to action like call b4 such and such a date to get 2011 rates or a free cut after the 5th cut or something like that.

Sprinkler Buddy
01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
You might want to consider hiring someone to come up with a few designs for you to choose from. Yours looked unprofessional and that may be why you didn't get much of a response. Good luck with the coming season.

joeblack
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM
thanks jymie and SB. crayon flyer was quickly ditched. was hoping to catch the stay at home mom who thought it was "cute"
holiday lawns flyer has been posted on every cvs, walgreens, grocery store community board in the area which I got 3 jobs from.
been using the robot flyer like business cards:eek:

any hired design help, door hangers and business cards are on hold till tax return puts cash in el pocketo.
Untill then... not content with stopping advertising

How did anyone else advertise b4 they were able to hire design and printing help and what was successful for you?

ringahding1
01-19-2012, 11:53 PM
My business name is below, here is a guy who owns his own sign biz here in NO SNOW MinneSNOWTA, well maybe tomorrow it's finally coming.

You will see our flyer and a couple other ones he features, which are biz's I sent his way. He is my neighbors grand-son-in-law, I know my neighbor is old!

St. Croix Signs (http://www.stcroixsigns.com/postcards.htm)

Color front and back, THICK, and GLOSSY!

joeblack
01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
here's my logo work in progress. having trouble changing the gray to black and I want to fill the holes in the B and see what that looks like

Steve
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Here's 3 flyers I used last year, btw fail. fail. fail.

Can you try again with the third flyer? I don't see it.

joeblack
01-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Theres 2 flyers in 1 attachment. The holiday lawns and robot flyers are seperate i just scanned them togethor. I just finished playing with one of ducke's flyers and waiting to get the ok to use it and i will post it.
I also just completed an introductory letter that i will upload when i get home.

Steve
01-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh ok sorry about that, I thought that scan showed how the flyer actually looked.

The thing to think about when marketing is that there are many factors involved.

Is the problem the message? Is the problem how the message is sent? Is the problem that the intended group is not getting the message? Or maybe you are even off target with who you think your intended group is.

As you reflect back on your marketing efforts, what is your view on why you feel they didn't work?

joeblack
01-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Last season, I was late in the season marketing (May). Also I did not canvass a neighborhood more than once.
Beginning tomorrow I will hit a good sized and well to do neighborhood. If weather permits I would like to hit the same neighborhood next weekend.
My goal, is to have canvassed the neighborhood 4 times by the 2nd week of March.

Here is my intro letter I am going out with tomorrow.
Any format change suggestions?
I am not bombarding them with prices and too much info.
First day I simply want to get my letters out with some brief face to face time to say Hi.

Chaz
01-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Last season, I was late in the season marketing (May). Also I did not canvass a neighborhood more than once.
Beginning tomorrow I will hit a good sized and well to do neighborhood. If weather permits I would like to hit the same neighborhood next weekend.
My goal, is to have canvassed the neighborhood 4 times by the 2nd week of March.

Here is my intro letter I am going out with tomorrow.
Any format change suggestions?
I am not bombarding them with prices and too much info.
First day I simply want to get my letters out with some brief face to face time to say Hi.

The huge logo should just be at the top of the letter, I think it will look better and make letter easier to read.
If you were to mail this to a client and they see its from JB Lawn firm (especially with logo), they might actually feel it is some legal letter and will open immediately lol.

joeblack
01-22-2012, 01:46 AM
The huge logo should just be at the top of the letter, I think it will look better and make letter easier to read.
If you were to mail this to a client and they see its from JB Lawn firm (especially with logo), they might actually feel it is some legal letter and will open immediately lol.

few tweaks made in letter and moved watermark logo to top. thanks chaz.

Chaz
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
I like the logo at the top better

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7209
This has a lot of examples

I used the residential letter; it seemed to be the most appealing to me.

Chaz
01-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I like the logo at the top better

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7209
This has a lot of examples

I used the residential letter; it seemed to be the most appealing to me.

Steve
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
thanks jymie and SB. crayon flyer was quickly ditched. was hoping to catch the stay at home mom who thought it was "cute"

Did you get any feedback from customers at all for this design?

holiday lawns flyer has been posted on every cvs, walgreens, grocery store community board in the area which I got 3 jobs from.

What % of people that walk by those community boards do you feel were potential customers?

Will you do this again this year?