PDA

View Full Version : Another start up thread

tha5150
01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
First off, great site. Found it from Steve's YouTube channel. (good advertising :)

Im 31, just moved to the central Florida area where i grew up, after Military i moved south and just got back up here. I have a john boat and a flats boat. Have the flats boat up for sale or trade on CL for a commercial lawn equipment setup. Lets hope for the best. If not, I am starting to set aside money to get things started / purchased.

Since I just moved back to the area, I landed a job about 40 min away from the house and hating the drive. Wife and 18 month old little girl are at home all day and I only get to see my daughter for 2 hours in the evening. Wife is a stay at home mom... "Home Maker" as she likes to call it.

After moving back to the area a fire has been lit under my tail, seeing all my old friends have their own business and doing well. So its back to my roots in the lawn business and getting out of the computer field which is my current job. As a youngin' i worked at golf courses as lawn maintenance, had my few local neighborhood yards i did, painted, pressure washed, etc. Anything to make a buck. Now that I am the sole provider for my family, I need to look at making more money and spending more time around town and closer to the house to see my daughter more. I hate not spending more time with her and the wife.

So I have the boat for sale or trade locally for lawn equipment. Assuming 2 months from now I have the equipment either way, I plan on getting some local yards to do on the weekends and growing from there. I have a close family friend who owns a real estate business in town and will give me all NEW business that comes in. Foreclosure clean ups, renting, for sale, etc etc. He has been using the same guy for over 10 years and would be wrong to fire him just to help. Sure that's what I would like but it isn't the right thing to do.

What I hope is to get a number from him in 2 weeks. This number would give me a ballpark of accounts I could count on during the weekends or evenings during the summer when it gets darker later on in the day.

From this information I just shared, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I am going to keep my day job until I get to a point where the income from lawn care meets or exceeds my day job income or I have the opportunity to get a bulk number of accounts from people I meet or know. This way, bills are not going unpaid, everyone eats dinner and i don't get in trouble with the wife for making a bad choice when all this is in favor of becoming more successful for the family and eventually hopes to have people working for me and being able to take time off work and still get paid.

Cheers guys and thanks for reading.

tha5150
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Also, a friend in the business said that I could get a mower, edger, weed eater and blower and possibly a trailer ALL USED for about 2000-2500. sound about right? I am figuring 3k to save or get for my boat.

If these numbers seem right, what type of equipment would I be looking at? A walk behind with a wheel? brand?

After reading around here for a few days, I see a good size is 34 which will get into most back yards with gates. Otherwise a bigger would would be nice but I would have to push mow the entire back yard if I couldn't get the bigger one in. . .

CHEESE2009
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Commercial self propelled lawn mower: $1,500 (TORO HEAVY DUTY REAR BAGGER) (http://www.toro.com/en-ca/professional-contractor/mowers/professional-21-walk-mower/Pages/Series.aspx?sid=21-Heavy-Duty-Mower)
Box store and Commercial Trimmer: $200 - $500 (STHIL KM90 R)
Commercial Hand Held Blower: $250 (STHIL BG56)
Box store and Commercial Back pack blower: $250 - $900 (STIHL BR550)
Total: $2,200 - $3,150

Good Trailer: varies... $4000 (estimate) - good luck!

It's important to start with and have commercial grade lawn mower, everything else it optional.

tha5150
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I would rather a non push mower though. I will get one of those for the sole purpose of getting into smaller gates or areas unable to with walk behind with wheel (what are these called???) or sit down type( what are these called?) but not wanting a personal riding lawn mower.

making sense? excuse my lake of proper naming.

EDIT** also what is BOX STORE?

CHEESE2009
01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I would rather a non push mower though. I will get one of those for the sole purpose of getting into smaller gates or areas unable to with walk behind with wheel (what are these called???) or sit down type( what are these called?) but not wanting a personal riding lawn mower.

making sense? excuse my lake of proper naming.

EDIT** also what is BOX STORE?

I say box store when I can't come up with a name for stores other than dealerships. LOL. For example, it's better to NOT go with home depot, hardware stores, wal-mart if they sell them etc..

Don't get a 'tractor' unless it's a 'zero-turn tractor'. I could go into detail, but a regular tractor functions like a car, and it's a waste of time.

THIS = CACA
http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/56703-bigthumbnail.jpg

Something like this = Acceptable

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/simplicity-axion-zero-turn-riding-lawn-mower.jpg

Note: I am just showing an example of a zero turn vs an old school rider, don't go out and buy what's above in the pics LOL.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a stand on mower. I higher center of gravity is never good, and maneuverability with sit on mowers are best (from experience, and common sense).

You can pick up a NON commercial grade zero turn mower at a BOX STORE, like have done. It works extremely well, and I treat it like crap. It only cost me about .... I forget... $3-4k without the attachments. 32" is best, I don't care what anyone else says. You can either be too big or too small, 32" is in between and I have been able to get through 90% of my clients backyards with a good squeeze.

:D

ALSOOO the mower I have suggested is a self-propelled model, there is no pushing required. I would never suggest a lawn mower you have to push, that takes the fun out of the job! ahahaha

Hope this helps my friend, I am excited for you!

tha5150
01-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. So your saying this below picture with the wheel is no good? NO THIS MOWER haha. But i have used these types before and do not mind them at all. Of course i would rather the sit down type but i would assume they are much more, mainly because your sitting down.

http://www.havenerent.com/images/Bradley32MowerL.jpg

i know what you ment about self propelled and your right, who wants to PUSH a mower :confused: that would defiantly take the fun out of the job.

so what are you suggesting for about 1500 bucks or so used for the type of mower you and i are talking about?

on a side note, i am so excited to get this going, just just dont want to get something to get something and have it break or a piece of junk or overheat, etc etc. so your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

32" is what i am looking for i guess since that is the perfect size to get into back yards and with the speed of these, i could still do a large front yard in decent time considering a larger mower for front and a self propelled type for the back yard. im sure you know what i am getting at here. and of course, later on i could end up getting a larger one if needed but would like to use 1 mower for everything in the beginning and it still be able to handle the 6-8 hours a day of running.

Chaz
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
You should try craigslist for a price range.

ebay as well for trimmers, blowers

I bought a 2010 trailer 6x10 with 24" mesh sides for 1,000

also bought my 2003 f150 2x4 5 spd for 1400 and 120 for the hitch kit so i could hook a trailer up.

CHEESE2009
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM
I suppose it depends on your area.

I find that I am able to do hills better while sitting down, and I don't have to duck when I come across a tree. I believe that you are able to see more when sitting down, then standing behind the machine.

Personally, let's say you have to drive a mower in between two cars. You know it's tight, probably a bad idea ... yet if you're like me you'll go for it anyway... I find that making little adjustments are soooo much easier on sit down machines, you really get a feel on the mower considering you are sitting on it, rather than standing behind it....

I wanted a stand on mower for fun... They are fun... I would still get one... but but but... that's all I see them for.

As you grow, maybe you'll hate standing?

Also, bagger attachments usually fit on the back of the sit down machines, rather than the side (stand on machines)... This means you still may have a good chance at squeezing into backyards without de-assembling everything over and over again. It's debatable... with sit down machines there is usually tubing that gets in the way, where as stand on machines are just bags that clip onto the side.... hmmm.... This calls for a poll.

tha5150
01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Cheese,

thanks and all good points. Personal preference i guess. but generally speaking, wouldn't the stand ups be cheaper in comparison? Maybe the way to get to get started at least and then move up to a sit down.

Chaz,

how many miles were on that truck? geez thats cheap!!!

as for the trailer, i would not need one that is enclosed because i would keep my equipment in my garage for certain. This was it is safe, no need to pay for a shop. Only thing i would imagine an issue would be is the rear gate being too tale. i am sure i could figure something out though. Just remove it every night or something.. not sure but thats a small issue right now.

CHEESE2009
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Cheese,

thanks and all good points. Personal preference i guess. but generally speaking, wouldn't the stand ups be cheaper in comparison? Maybe the way to get to get started at least and then move up to a sit down.

Good question. I have no idea, lol. Everything is pretty expensive for nothing in this industry. I suppose if you find something affordable and that can at least last you a year, go for it!

I have a special deal with my dealership, they give me a lower price of repairs if I promise to break something every week for them to fix :rolleyes:... I keep my end of the bargain... that's for sure! It's always good to know what your local repair shops can and cannot work with, or what parts they always have in stock. It would be a great place to ask around, and figure out what the competition is using.

tha5150
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks.

I plan on having a long discussion with a close friend who is in the biz. After being on this site and others, I have a lot of knowledgeable questions to ask; equipment related. We have been speaking of accounts for a while now and how to get started. Now its onto this 2k ish all in one package deal and what the number will actually be.

One good thing is, I could use my dads truck and not have to get rid of my car. That is until I quit my day job. I could use his on the weekends no problem So this cuts my cost down a bit too.

by the way, i am in Lakeland, FL. So if anyone wants to look on Craigslist and check Lakeland and Tampa out and give me some ideas of what i will be looking at for cost, I would greatly appreciate it!

CHEESE2009
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Does it snow in that part of the world?

I'm from Canada... wanna switch? My igloo has all the bells and whistles! :D

tha5150
01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
oh its nice here right now. 75 degrees F!!!

but we just got over our cold weather.. high 30's lol

hey this guy just emailed me about my trade online.. here is what he has. i am asking for weed eater and blower along with trade and havent heard back yet.. whats your thoughts on this mower and i cant figure out how i would steer it. the stick? lol

https://plus.google.com/photos/117715227965940810058/albums/5699031603998354177?authkey=CI6VkLy3j76hyAE

here is my ad

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/boa/2805799604.html

Thanks for looking. This is a 1993 Scout 152 Fish model. extremely well maintained, no issues. This is one of 2 boats I own and looking to trade this for a commercial lawn service setup. Mower, edger, weed eater, blower and trailer. Depending on equipment condition I may add cash to deal or visa verse; if yours is older and not in great shape, you should add cash to deal. Not looking for riding lawn mower for home use. Must be commercial grade walk behind with wheel or sit on type.

I am an honest person, looking to start a side job. I would only like to deal with honest people as well. If you are interested in trading, please send all information about all of your equipment along with pictures. We could meet at the lake behind my house for a test drive if you want. Must have cash in hand or trailer/equipment ready to drop.

I find this boat to be worth a solid, honest 3k. Galvanized trailer is in great shape, tires are good, bearings good, winch, rollers, bunks, etc etc. no issues. Boat has 50hp Evinrude and starts EVERY TIME cold or not. 2stroke so uses little gas mixed 50/50. This boat is solid, sure its a 93 but looks great. Comes with 34lb foot control trolling motor mounted. Lights work, trim works on motor all the way up and down as it should. 4 rod holders that may be moved around boat to adjust to personal preference. Bimini and hardware top is brand new, 2 months old. Plenty of storage in back under the splash hood which slides forward and backwards to get to area. has 10 gallon gas tank and 2 batteries. Bilge pump works great. Also has to stainless seat bases for drop in chairs. In pictures below, I had yet to install the rear base. Front storage under casting deck and rear storage under seat in back.

Please let me know what you have. Any and all offers are taken into consideration. I will respond almost immediately if emailed during normal hours of the day.
Thank you for looking.

tha5150
01-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Just added more pictures of what he sent me. the Mower is a Dixie Chopper LT-2000-44 with a 20 Koler motor.

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15495

Please advise on the pics seen in the link. I am very inclined to make this trade. Keep in mind, i do not think all the edgers and weed eaters are included. maybe one of each, the blower is included though. and trailer of course.

tha5150
01-23-2012, 08:14 AM
welp... did the trade. pretty excited. got 3 weed eaters, 1 edge, blower mower and trailer. ALSO, the guy wanted my fish finder, so i left it on for a pair of hedge trimmers. everything runs, pretty dirty, but runs.

blower needs straps, cable for throttle and fix a leaky gas tank.

everything else works fine, just needs a good cleaning.

question. can i spray everything down with degreaser and pressure wash all the dirt and grim out of everything? someone said i could but want to verify this. figured there is less water in a pressure washer vs the hose and i dont want to use a hose with a pressure nossle... make sense? let me know.

now its off to find accounts.

EDIT ** Here are some more pics i took. If anyone could help with model numbers i would appreciate it greatly.

RedMax Blower i think
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RjM2qz5kUKw/Tx1uLRxKwBI/AAAAAAAAtIs/DgYkJ8qvNik/s576/IMG_0005.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xExsyqKE62M/Tx1uLW07ZCI/AAAAAAAAtIo/JdWUfr7Ty7w/s576/IMG_0007.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oZpTLMrqqh0/Tx1uMZ6nAMI/AAAAAAAAtI4/PDf1qSSRkag/s576/IMG_0008.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O6BRM22jykY/Tx1uMqak_hI/AAAAAAAAtI8/yF5x5oJymsE/s576/IMG_0009.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MLKC8sWJW9k/Tx1uNdzSKgI/AAAAAAAAtJQ/hUZtWDuuF8Y/s576/IMG_0010.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iTrEuRyXlOA/Tx1uP5iRXSI/AAAAAAAAtJw/OLncoRyM7gE/s576/IMG_0003.JPG

Steve
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Did he ever say why he was getting out of the business or offer you any business advice about getting customers in your area?

Chaz
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
that was an exceptional boat! i would have loved to have that (if i had 3k)
looks very good on the set up, (I wanna see the mower tho!) i am in the same process you are, my first season and all but i don't have a current job, i have school tho but still have tons of time to focus on the business, i have been reading books on how to start my business and everything.

I started writing my business plan Friday, I wasn't sure if it was really necessary to have one when I am just cutting people's grass.... but I am 25 pages in to it and it really is an eye opener. I am nearing completion of it and will be getting my professors to look at it over the week. Now that i have gotten in the process of writing the plan i would highly recommend you write one as well.

I would summarize a business plan as "putting your ideas on paper"

my professors really emphasize on the importance of having one, they say its a business's number one tool. if something isn't working, you go to your plan and change it to get it working the way it needs to be.

I have used this plan as a guideline, I would say its a pretty decent one (because they are still in business today) but, it is missing the financial parts which in my eyes are the most critical.
http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/BusinessPlan.pdf

tha5150
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
here is the mower. good idea about the biz plan write out.

as for getting business from the guy, unfortunately no. he bought out another guy and some of this equipment came with the deal. so he basically bought
some accounts and got a boat haha

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-siBP1f5vE4o/Tx1uOg2LWQI/AAAAAAAAtJg/YhtBfKEOP9Y/s576/IMG_0002.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NS1e-ukQzzc/TxccTnJ20tI/AAAAAAAAtFw/HbGMU7SS4hc/s800/image_4.jpeg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-coocWDdVqTg/TxccTbP8kpI/AAAAAAAAtFs/ytV483-gHm0/s800/image_3.jpeg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dNODTnObd5I/TxccSzD6M6I/AAAAAAAAtFg/leMfH2DZBUY/s800/image_2.jpeg

Chaz
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Chaz,

how many miles were on that truck? geez thats cheap!!!

as for the trailer, i would not need one that is enclosed because i would keep my equipment in my garage for certain. This was it is safe, no need to pay for a shop. Only thing i would imagine an issue would be is the rear gate being too tale. i am sure i could figure something out though. Just remove it every night or something.. not sure but thats a small issue right now.

forgot to reply to this...
285k on the truck, but my previous car had 405k so that doesn't scare me.

it isnt an enclosed trailer it has sides that are 24" high, this trailer is excellent for mulch! I bought it off of craigslist for 1,000 the guy had bought it like the year before for 1,700 (had receipt) and said he used it about 4 times which it looked like.

they have cheap trailers all over craigslist for like $200+ but I wanted something that i know wasn't going to break. it has full size tires and everything. I also wanted the 24" sides to haul mulch and other things in, If i do a clean up job it is very convenient to load by hand on to a tarp and then just pull the tarp off of the trailer (depending on debris weight). With such tall sides it isnt too hard to secure 4x8 boards to extend the height.

this is a picture of it on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=103105146440329&set=a.103105143106996.6448.100002225316428&type=1

The mower looks great, Dixie chopper is one of the top brands around here.

tha5150
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
ive thought about getting rid of the enclosed trailer and doing one like yours. but i am in a tossup. i see most end up getting enclosed if they can afford it and obviously is better for bad weather and could be used for many things. throwing trash after clean up wouldnt happen though. would but then i have a huge cleanup when i get home. problem is the weight. but not too bad and could deal with it with the right vehicle. still need to get a hitch installed on my dads Isuzu Trooper 1998. wife's 2008 Mazda CX-9 would work but don't want to get it dirty. its the baby mobile.

once and if and when i get this off the ground, i will defiantly pick up a truck.

as for the mower, runs GREAT! i think it is a great starter for me and yes, one of the better brands. i know by means is this a top of the line mower but confident it will do ME right..

petscanning
01-24-2012, 05:49 AM
I bet most would say keep the enclosed for security reasons. I'm small time and I operate of my truck on the side but that means loading and unloading. Next year I will move up but since I have about 15 customers and to much going this year I just can't expand(new baby, air force school, coach soccer, and a full time medical job). Wish I had a enclosed trailer.

tha5150
01-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks and good point. Thing is, i have to keep the trailer in the front of the house all the time, still with no accounts as i mentioned, i just got the equipment. don't want someone to take the trailer of course, and if so, defiantly not all my equipment. would be different if it was in my backyard or something. thinking of putting the trailer at my dads storage lot in the mean time until i get some accounts. hopefully within a year i will be buying a house and plan on having a shop in the backyard. maybe park the trailer next to it or something and only taking the mower out.

as it is right now, i have no locks for anything and the trailer is completely empty. i do like the idea of keeping everything in the but not the mower. or parking it to where the gate is not accessible..

Chaz
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks and good point. Thing is, i have to keep the trailer in the front of the house all the time, still with no accounts as i mentioned, i just got the equipment. don't want someone to take the trailer of course, and if so, defiantly not all my equipment. would be different if it was in my backyard or something. thinking of putting the trailer at my dads storage lot in the mean time until i get some accounts. hopefully within a year i will be buying a house and plan on having a shop in the backyard. maybe park the trailer next to it or something and only taking the mower out.

as it is right now, i have no locks for anything and the trailer is completely empty. i do like the idea of keeping everything in the but not the mower. or parking it to where the gate is not accessible..

i would decal your trailer asap, that's free publicity in your neighborhood. also put a padlock on the hitch in the closed position. that will help deter someone.

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Put a lock on your trailers hitch mount.

Also, you asked about pressure washing your equipment.

A regular hose, even with a 'pressure' nozzle will not do any justice.

Get out the pressure washer and watch your equipment turn brand new before your very eyes!!! :D

Watch out for the electrical + battery, and filter, other than that go crazy.

I would also suggest getting these products;

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/TWL-B2C-Site/TWL-B2C/en_NZ/product/large/74660031230_l.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvyncAWksj2ZUcPTgw66GFfrNZYy76S LCoJqJvmJNsDg-JuDWv3u9b-5n6

As your ride’s exterior ages, rubber, plastic and vinyl exterior hardware of all colors will dry, crack, flake and deteriorate. This oxidation can be stopped and reversed with MothersŪ Back-to-BlackŪ, our favorite auto-care concoction. This trim treatment is great for all sorts of exterior hardware in all colors — bumpers, molding, louvers, window trim, vents, seals, skirts, door handles, wiper arms — anything that’s plastic, rubber or vinyl. Apply Back-to-BlackŪ to sun-burnt plastic, rubber and vinyl to revive the factory-new sheen, then re-treat that exterior hardware regularly.

Your equipment will always look new, and freshly painted.

tha5150
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the tips. figured i would put a small rag over the exhaust and unplug the plug cap and go to town and hope for the best on everything. with the mower, pretty much just go at it.

wandfsmall
01-24-2012, 01:08 PM
i would decal your trailer asap, that's free publicity in your neighborhood. also put a padlock on the hitch in the closed position. that will help deter someone.

I disagree with the closed positioned padlock I lock it it in the open position you can take most hitched apart enough to get it on the ball and reassemble it locked. when you lock it open you would have to cut the lock to steal the trailer safely.

tha5150
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
because it would bounce off or something over a bump or angle change from rear of vehicle to tongue right? is that what you mean by in open positioned?

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I disagree with the closed positioned padlock I lock it it in the open position you can take most hitched apart enough to get it on the ball and reassemble it locked. when you lock it open you would have to cut the lock to steal the trailer safely.

I'm trying to picture all of this in my head.

http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/2/8/2833AT_u_1000.jpg

I would personally lock it in the closed position. If it's open, anyone with a hitch can pull the trailer, especially if they have duct tape to secure it ;)

If someone had the patience/nerve to break the lock and hook up the trailer to their vehicle, they've earned it, and it's long gone.

tha5150
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
or anyone with some big go-nads could just put the chains on there and drag it away. thats my ultimate fear.

i think i like the locked position better though.

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 01:32 PM
or anyone with some big go-nads could just put the chains on there and drag it away. thats my ultimate fear.

i think i like the locked position better though.

Well... I was in a broken old truck, which was just chained to another truck in front of me. The other truck was tugging me to the junkyard and I had to keep the vehicle as steady as possible and apply the breaks when necessarily. IT SUCKED!

The person who does this will most likely have a noticeable dent/hole in the back of their vehicle.

tha5150
01-24-2012, 01:34 PM
The person who does this will most likely have a noticeable dent/hole in the back of their vehicle.

kinda forgot about that part. hah.. so i have no worries anymore.

back to the lock.. maybe i should start a poll?

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
kinda forgot about that part. hah.. so i have no worries anymore.

back to the lock.. maybe i should start a poll?

The fact is that if someone clever wants to steal your trailer, they are going to steal your trailer. Actually, it doesn't take much skill at all to do depending on where you leave it.

There are so many tools available to the average Joe for breaking into just about every lock, or taking apart mechanisms. Your best bet would be to buy a high tech trailer coupler locking mechanism to make theft more challenging/ but it can never be impossible.

I have no idea what this is, but it looks like a pain in the arse to break into;
http://www.rvtradedigest.com/images/article/1197478969128_f5_01.jpg

tha5150
01-24-2012, 01:59 PM
WHOA.. thats some serious... something..

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Standing in my trailer when it's empty makes me feel like I'm a pirate on my ship... anyone else?

tha5150
01-24-2012, 02:10 PM
i actually just got this equipment this past weekend. saturday afternoon. sunday morning i swept it out. a friend stopped by to check out my equipment. we had a few beers. he was standing or sitting in the chair in the garage. i was standing or sitting in the chair... in the trailer. :)

my wife says, "is that your new favorite place? want a tv for in there?" i laughed and said to go grab my ipad and portable speakers.. Gonna start a party in this Bit($*!! hahah

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
i actually just got this equipment this past weekend. saturday afternoon. sunday morning i swept it out. a friend stopped by to check out my equipment. we had a few beers. he was standing or sitting in the chair in the garage. i was standing or sitting in the chair... in the trailer. :)

my wife says, "is that your new favorite place? want a tv for in there?" i laughed and said to go grab my ipad and portable speakers.. Gonna start a party in this Bit($*!! hahah

LOL, that's how it's done!

Chaz
01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
reading all this gave me an idea, i definitely disagree with the open position thing but anyways i thought of an even better way;

just lock a tennis ball in it. its flexible and all so it would probably fit in inside any size you get you get benefit of the locked position and there is an obstacle in the way.
and if u dont have a lock just lock the position and put a nut and bolt snug on it, they way the would have to have tools to take the trailer.

CHEESE2009
01-26-2012, 03:00 AM
just lock a tennis ball in it.

You are one clever son of a gun! LOL

I'd have to try that, I'm curious.

My new checklist for returning home;

Phone check
Wallet check
Keys check
Route check
Garbage check
Trailer Key check
Tennis Ball check

Steve
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
What about a wheel lock? I have seen them for less than $100 and can be used on anything with a wheel.

http://www.discountramps.com/trailerImages/alpha-lock.jpg

tha5150
01-27-2012, 07:07 AM
This is the coupler that i have.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00beJQiFlaSmkS/A-Frame-Trailer-Ball-Coupler.jpg

This is the lock i got and it doesnt fit.. The bar doesnt go through the area like it is supposed to. I guess the designs dont match.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/coupler-loack.jpg

What would be my best option for a lock for the hitch? Not too sure i like the idea of the lock for the wheel.

jymie
01-27-2012, 07:27 AM
There are many different types of locks you could use for the trailer ball area.

Trailer Locks (http://www.google.com/search?q=trailor+locks&ie=UTF-8#q=trailer+locks&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=-KYiT4mrEOrb0QGWpunXCA&ved=0CJABEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=a075e3990efb18ab&biw=1249&bih=641)

tha5150
01-27-2012, 07:37 AM
guess i just need to go to a trailer place and check them out. I found mine at Home Depot and it was the only type available/

Maybe i could just get a simple lock like this if it fits.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/7ZanSZyTGv9tKfe19hwL5bJV2kBNKMJFZLj3LNgZnPTfbj7BwK UNPZD55r1Iq8WebPm97SD1aNipxmfS9jb-1Bb8dJBXtxrSYdxufDQKJ46MKmNlfafzV75ahCA4-LXCNxNH_mClynHdPnP-RaVKBRrxbtjRnRnoMBB1MgGsgBtgOoUUn2JjfHxtUfBeMf6oEJ QenaigFNl8WoF_YwlvLvvo3C9PsrOQnN2S2YevI-bJdPP8u4ZTgVlssWeQXZEJj2iohRPImFzZx9W8AC9G2WVKR8PF Qr9n7wfRY3zHKLQ

wandfsmall
01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
This is the coupler that i have.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00beJQiFlaSmkS/A-Frame-Trailer-Ball-Coupler.jpg

This is the lock i got and it doesnt fit.. The bar doesnt go through the area like it is supposed to. I guess the designs dont match.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/coupler-loack.jpg

What would be my best option for a lock for the hitch? Not too sure i like the idea of the lock for the wheel.
the 2nd one looks good to me, I was just suggesting what we used to do, now I have them all in buildings as the weather really gets to the wood floors.

Chaz
01-27-2012, 11:25 PM
guess i just need to go to a trailer place and check them out. I found mine at Home Depot and it was the only type available/

Maybe i could just get a simple lock like this if it fits.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/7ZanSZyTGv9tKfe19hwL5bJV2kBNKMJFZLj3LNgZnPTfbj7BwK UNPZD55r1Iq8WebPm97SD1aNipxmfS9jb-1Bb8dJBXtxrSYdxufDQKJ46MKmNlfafzV75ahCA4-LXCNxNH_mClynHdPnP-RaVKBRrxbtjRnRnoMBB1MgGsgBtgOoUUn2JjfHxtUfBeMf6oEJ QenaigFNl8WoF_YwlvLvvo3C9PsrOQnN2S2YevI-bJdPP8u4ZTgVlssWeQXZEJj2iohRPImFzZx9W8AC9G2WVKR8PF Qr9n7wfRY3zHKLQ

i use this for my trailer, but i live in the country so i dont have to worry about people coming to take it, but its great to have for hooking it up to truck, although as it gets weathered its getting harder to open, make sure u keep wd40 with it, oil, or something similar

tha5150
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
This past weekend, i noticed if i push both bars forward all the way, i would go to the left and not straight. seems one tire is moving faster than the other. how do i adjust this?

also... :( i hit some hire and hasn't sounded right since. nothing crazy, continued to mow but defiantly think someone is off balance or something near the blades.

being new, i don't know what to look for. i still need to look under the deck for some wrapped up wire or something in the spindle..

any suggestions?

wandfsmall
02-01-2012, 08:58 AM
This past weekend, i noticed if i push both bars forward all the way, i would go to the left and not straight. seems one tire is moving faster than the other. how do i adjust this?

This is likely a Hydro Adjustment you have to adjust the linkages going to the hydro to get it back in line.

also... :( i hit some hire and hasn't sounded right since. nothing crazy, continued to mow but defiantly think someone is off balance or something near the blades.

Sounds like the spindle bearings on one of your spindles.

tha5150
02-01-2012, 09:16 AM
#19?

http://www.dixiechopperpartsdistributors.com/pages/oemparts?aribrand=MCM#/Dixie_Chopper/LT2000-44_S%2f%2fN_6057252_%26_Up_(2006)/Spindle_Hub_Assembly_34%22%2f%2f44%22/1K03060010/03060023

and where do i adjust linkages?

wandfsmall
02-01-2012, 07:29 PM
#19?

http://www.dixiechopperpartsdistributors.com/pages/oemparts?aribrand=MCM#/Dixie_Chopper/LT2000-44_S%2f%2fN_6057252_%26_Up_(2006)/Spindle_Hub_Assembly_34%22%2f%2f44%22/1K03060010/03060023

and where do i adjust linkages?

you will have a linkage between the control arm and the pump. and yes that should be the bearing that is bad. But I would check on it yourself it is hard to troubleshoot a mower online.

tha5150
02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks man. I will check things out this weekend.

How do you suggest i get this at an angle where i can move around in there? someone said to put on wheel on the trailer and another off, giving me that angle to get under there. I also thought it would be easy to get a rope and a tree limp and bring the front up but not too sure how easy that would be without a cumalong

Chaz
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
my sixth sense that i have managed to pick up when mowing is knowing when something is going to go.

you will be able to hear a different noise or feel mower doing something different or belt wobbling more than usual. I amaze my self to know when a spindle is going or belt is about to fly off.
last time one of the spindle bolts broke when i started the deck, i looked under the deck my belt was there and it was on all of the spindles (that were left) and spindles looked find but the deck was not turning (i was STUMPED for like 30 seconds) then i pulled up and found the spindle and all the parts under the mower lmao

wandfsmall
02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks man. I will check things out this weekend.

How do you suggest i get this at an angle where i can move around in there? someone said to put on wheel on the trailer and another off, giving me that angle to get under there. I also thought it would be easy to get a rope and a tree limp and bring the front up but not too sure how easy that would be without a cumalong

Personally I do not recommend either option, but of the two the trailer with a wheel off is the safest one(still not safe but given my options). The rope over a tree branch seems like a way you could kill yourself these mowers are heavy. I personally suggest something like the mowjack cheap enough to justify but has a few safety's built in.

tha5150
02-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the tip. After looking at it though, why cant i just use 2 jack stands and a floor jack? Butt the rear against a tree and do that? Dont see why it wouldn't work just as good and free.

wandfsmall
02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
yeah it would work, but put the tire against the tree not the back of the mower it would destroy the tree:) A jackstand on the side off the trailer might also work.