PDA

View Full Version : Safety first and foremost

Ducke
01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
There was a story on the News today About a tragic accident up here yesterday.
I guess some guy was clearing a lot,cutting down trees one kicked back at him and hit him in the chest, Killed him...........................................:(
I started thinking about it and you know anyone can go out and buy a chainsaw. Take it home pull it out of the box put some fuel in it and start cutting wood.
Shouldn't there be some sort of training just like going to drivers ed ??
A car is less dangerous then most power equipment but any Joe off the street can buy and operate this stuff.

https://tv7hpw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1mJYt3IDawFTofr8ryohA8yk4h5i3m16kqL9o1AtpQ3JUffRH 1jr1tqmRBrZWmVi13RG423wIpGN8XZjAJZRtWy5Ku1_RUA350E Q7lvJ6arRe5BGX7tn-J6JQrTFoW9gDhWBjHky-X9J2GwXQivhE66g/Dangerous%20Tools.jpg?psid

Ducke
01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I just got this off the Nova Scotia Press page.

GREEN OAKS, N.S. - RCMP say a 57-year-old Nova Scotia man is dead after he was hit by a falling tree.

Police in Colchester County says the man was cutting down the tree when it kicked back and struck him in the chest.

Police say they were called to a wooded area on Riverside Road in Green Oaks around 11 a.m.

The victim died at the scene.

The man's name has not been released.

Police say the investigation has been turned over to the provincial Department of Labour's occupational health and safety division.

ringahding1
01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
FACT**I've been to jobs where I thank God they called me. Certain personalities just need to stick to what they know. I will be the first to admit, I have no business trying to fix a leak under the sink...lol

CHEESE2009
01-18-2012, 01:38 AM
SHHH!!! The reality of this world scares me.

I'm paranoid enough as it is. lololol

stevef1201
01-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Cheese- just because youíre paranoid doesnít mean the government isnít out to get you

Steve
01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
What causes that? Is that error in the way the tree is cut before it falls or is it error in where the cutter is standing as the tree falls?

Ducke
01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
What causes that? Is that error in the way the tree is cut before it falls or is it error in where the cutter is standing as the tree falls?

with out being there it could have been anything or all the above.
Could have been branches got caught and made the trunk raise up and kick back.
Could have been the tree fell the wrong way hit something causing it to kick out.
could have been a downed tree that he was cutting to length that he miss read how it was laying.
There are so many ways that it could have happened. Chainsaw are dangerous enough the trees are just as bad if not worse.
Sometimes you can follow all the rules and be the safest worker in the world and it just happens,

TiedemanLLC
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I actually hate using a chainsaw. That is why when I have to cut down a tree for a client I charge top dollar. Same with when I remove snow from a roof.

dpld
01-18-2012, 02:57 PM

if the bottom came up and hit him in the chest then the term to what happened would be the tree " barber chaired " . the tree probably had a slight to heavy lean and he did not have a deep enough "felling knotch" or as we call it the "box cut" or he did not have a knotch at all.

it also could happen if he had a rope in the tree and hooked it up to a machine or truck and pre-loaded too much tension on it, and as soon as he got a couple inche's in BAM it's in his chest before he even blinked a eye.

it is the most common injury and cause of death in felling tree's next to the "widow maker" which would be the top getting snagged and snapping off and coming opposite of the tree's path and usually where the man who cut the tree is standing.

and the sadest part is better felling techniques and proper cuts would have prevented it.

what a shame.

Hedgemaster
01-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Sometimes it's a tragic accident and sometimes it's just "thinning the herd".

If training is available it would be advisable to seek it out, however, the thought of "mandatory" training rubs me the wrong way.

wandfsmall
01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Sometimes it's a tragic accident and sometimes it's just "thinning the herd".

If training is available it would be advisable to seek it out, however, the thought of "mandatory" training rubs me the wrong way.

I agree with you on the forced training thing but if you saw some of the customers that come in buying chainsaws you would wonder if it should be required as well. We have refused a chainsaw sell before becouse we did not want to feel responsible for the mans death.

CHEESE2009
01-19-2012, 01:50 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/06/dr2chainsaw530px6152010.jpg

Did somebody say chainsaw?

-

It's funny how movies, games, etc all act as if chainsaws would be a good weapon choice. They would be the last thing I would ever choose, it doesn't take much for them to jam/screw up.

By the time you get one started, you're already dead.

Steve
01-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I guess most of the time, people just don't realize how much weight and force they are dealing with when they start to saw at a tree. It's very easy to misjudge the weight and force of all that wood.

Then when you go and cut the tree, you think standing behind is the safest place to be but you still can end up getting hit!

ringahding1
01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
I guess most of the time, people just don't realize how much weight and force they are dealing with when they start to saw at a tree. It's very easy to misjudge the weight and force of all that wood.

Then when you go and cut the tree, you think standing behind is the safest place to be but you still can end up getting hit!

I don't know how many times I've nicked my knee and thanked God I was wearing jeans.
Usually I just push that work to a small tree company in town. The owner I think may be just breaking 30 years old, and has had all kinds of breaks: Back, leg, collarbone, etc. and he still climbs like a nut!
When in doubt, sub it out...

CHEESE2009
01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
I think the chainsaw has to be reinvented.

I wonder what other blueprints have been made for cutting branches and trees down that never saw the light of day.

joeblack
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
After a good(or bad) t-storm rolls through, I canvass neighborhoods for downed trees. I tell them I've got the best equipment to get it done and gone.

After I get the job, I'm laughing at the thought of the client looking out the window and seeing me take on a whole tree with my lil 18" stihl.
Always count on replacing $20 chain after. also means I can sandblast it all I want towards end of job

Anyway back on topic. There have been multiple times after a chainsaw job where I thank God bc a couple of kickbacks could have easily been the end of this fella's life.
I do not like chainsaws, but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures.

CHEESE2009
01-23-2012, 11:07 PM
There are so many electrical saws that have a safety mechanism which instantly stops the equipment when the button is released. Why can't chainsaws? There is actually a saw out there that can detect 'skin', you can throw your hand at it and it will leave you with nothing more that a tiny cat scratch or less.

There's gotta be something... Maybe there has to be a sensor that must detect BOTH of the users hands, or it will not function.... If one hand slips, the chain stops.

I hate using chainsaws, there are too many variables to consider while using one.

ALSO:

Am I the only one who believes a chainsaw is safer than an axe? A sharp tool that you have to purposely use momentum to use is silly. lol.

Missing a target with an axe means you are probably going to lose a leg (even if spread apart), or you may face plant into what you wanted to cut. lolololol

wandfsmall
01-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I am supprised that nobody has suggested chaps once during this thread, do any of you use them? I try to never start a chainsaw without them as I know of a few people that would have lost a leg without them.

dpld
01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
I am supprised that nobody has suggested chaps once during this thread, do any of you use them? I try to never start a chainsaw without them as I know of a few people that would have lost a leg without them.

i never mentioned chaps myself because the thread was about a dude who got wasted doing something he probably should have not been doing in the first place.

chaps is a good start but being properly trained in the proper use of a chainsaw would mitigate a lot of the issues as well as being properly trained to cut down trees.

there is more to it then having a chainsaw and being able to start it and if that were all it would require then i guess everyone can be a arborist just like anyone with a automobile can be a race car driver and anyone with a football is a football player.

unfortunately it boils down to common sense which is something in this day and age that is a rare commodity as well as everyone today likes to believe that they know it all and what they don't they will just look up on the internet.

wandfsmall
01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
i never mentioned chaps myself because the thread was about a dude who got wasted doing something he probably should have not been doing in the first place.

chaps is a good start but being properly trained in the proper use of a chainsaw would mitigate a lot of the issues as well as being properly trained to cut down trees.

there is more to it then having a chainsaw and being able to start it and if that were all it would require then i guess everyone can be a arborist just like anyone with a automobile can be a race car driver and anyone with a football is a football player.

unfortunately it boils down to common sense which is something in this day and age that is a rare commodity as well as everyone today likes to believe that they know it all and what they don't they will just look up on the internet.

I think that came out wrong for me I was not trying to lecture on that post I was asking a question as a lot of people on here buy from a box store. I have never noticed a pair of chaps for sale in any of the local box stores or even the farm stores around here. Personally I never fire up a chainsaw without chaps on, I have talked to people that have almost cut their legs off and do not want to do that myself.

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
If I'm doing small tree/plant removal jobs, guess what tool I use?

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00DevTnHuPaLkU/Rubber-Mallet.jpg

I kid you not, it works wonders. Loosens the soil under the plant up too, good perk.

dpld
01-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I think that came out wrong for me I was not trying to lecture on that post I was asking a question as a lot of people on here buy from a box store. I have never noticed a pair of chaps for sale in any of the local box stores or even the farm stores around here. Personally I never fire up a chainsaw without chaps on, I have talked to people that have almost cut their legs off and do not want to do that myself.

that is because if the box store told you that you needed them to prevent the saw from cutting your leg off they probably would not sell as many chainsaws.

plus the big box stores don't care about you, they only care about you giving them what is in your wallet.
they also don't want anyone to be afraid of their products and according to them you don't need to pay a professional a thousand dollars to remove that old oak tree when you can go to their store and buy a leg chopper, i mean chainsaw for a $200.00 and risk leaving your children parentless to save a buck.
these big box stores and places like home cheapo are one of the reasons it is so hard for a contractor to make a living these days.

i did not think you were giving a lecture even though the original topic was not related to chaps but none the less you made a good point.

Steve
01-24-2012, 04:56 PM
That was a great point. I never even thought about bringing that up.

What is your view on how chaps actually work as a safety item? Do you find certain chaps are better than others? I can imagine big box store chaps being little more than costume material.

I wonder if they have any kevlar in them at all.

Check out this video on chaps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pilcLXpdJK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dpld
01-24-2012, 05:41 PM
That was a great point. I never even thought about bringing that up.

What is your view on how chaps actually work as a safety item? Do you find certain chaps are better than others? I can imagine big box store chaps being little more than costume material.

I wonder if they have any kevlar in them at all.

Check out this video on chaps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pilcLXpdJK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

well, in theory when the saw makes contact with the chaps the material allows slight penetration so the saw chain will grab thus causing it to stop.
i have had a saw one time make contact and they did their job but i still got nicked up a little bit and it hurt like the beejesus.

they don't totaly prevent injury but the alternative is far worse and more severe.
it also depends on the type of saw you are useing as well as the speed of the chain when contact is made, the smaller saws like what we would use in a tree can hit the chaps and cause little damage but something like a big stihl .064 with a 24" bar is gonna take a bigger chunk out of the chaps as well as tear up some flesh underneath but once again without the chaps the alternative would be a partially chopped off limb and massive bleeding.

they also make calf guards that are made from a high density plastic for when you are bucking lumber in case of a kick back that also can be worn in conjunction to the chaps.

saftey is no accident and your next mistake can be your last.
considering you can buy a decent pair of chaps for $50.00 it is a lot cheaper then paying a doctor to sew you back up and being out of work.

when it comes to PPE's i have a zero tolerence policy and make no exceptions
and the first time a guy needs to be told to use what i supply him he goes home for the day and if it happens a second time, he has no job.

CHEESE2009
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Had to...

http://doodaddy.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/assless-chaps.jpg

All this talk about chaps.

& Steve... that video is going to give me nightmares. lol

I would like to see him actually try to cut through, instead of just slapping the saw against the pants. I wanna see if the material jams the blades prior to ...death or not... while using pressure.

dpld
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Had to...

http://doodaddy.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/assless-chaps.jpg

All this talk about chaps.

& Steve... that video is going to give me nightmares. lol

I would like to see him actually try to cut through, instead of just slapping the saw against the pants. I wanna see if the material jams the blades prior to ...death or not... while using pressure.

thats actually pretty funny that you posted that because when i first started wearing them and before i could apprecate them that is what i felt like wearing them.
but after seeing that video i would rather look like one of the village people or even a *** cowboy sitting around eating pudding then have my leg all hackalouied up.

Steve
01-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Before I saw the video, I really didn't understand the value of the chaps. Holy crap do I understand it now.

Check this out from NY state website (http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3132/logging_section_two.htm): most chain saw injuries occur on the lower left leg and thigh, the left arm and the back of the left hand. Be sure to protect your body.

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3132/images/pg13_dgm1_401x253.jpg