PDA

View Full Version : 3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last

hansenslawncare
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I am constantly thinking about marketing ideas...I lay awake at night thinking about what my next step for the business will be.

So here's my question: What are 3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last year? Either for marketing, or simply running the business...

thanks...

Richard

Hedgemaster
01-16-2012, 09:31 PM
1. Get Gopher software to get better organized.

2. Charge more for overgrown "first cuts" that should have been cut 5 weeks prior.

3. Get my truck lettered.

thegroundscrew
01-16-2012, 09:37 PM
1. Promote my linkedIn page more (www.linkedin.com/in/thegroundscrew - This will be important to show my validity, work experience, and resume.

2. Get my enlosed trailer fully lettered with graphics - make it a walking advertisement

3. Promote on the street in the downtown Bellevue/Seattle city - This is really taking a leap but I feel it will help get a lot more customers. I have seen success with this in the past for people promoting themselves for getting jobs. Ex. I had a friend whos dad recently graduated from college and held up a big poster board that said "college graduate of Colorado State University, Majored in computer science and business management, unemployed and looking for work! He got a job within a week that paid three times as much as all his friends were making.

CHEESE2009
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
ONE
I will stop initiating conversation just to show that I am interested in what the client has to say, when I'm not interested at all.

I really could care less about their grandchildren or how they enjoy watching the birds eat seed from their feeders.

I got two annoying calls all winter season, I consider myself LUCKY considering I'm usually bombarded with the following calls all day, every day, during the summer;

The first call I had explained in a previous post, about the guy who wanted me to salt his walkway/driveway. Well, he called again and I had a 10 minute discussion on a brand of salt he saw on t.v, and how his neighbors are 'cheap'. I had the keys to my truck in hand, yet I was stuck standing around like an idiot until he shut his mouth.

The second call I got was from an old man who plans on hiring me this spring, I'm not thrilled at all and will most likely block his number and fire the client I have across from him.

I just cannot put up with spending 30 minutes talking about his dead wife and how he trains his dog to roll over every f'ing god damn time I visit. I'm sorry, hearing the same story over and over again makes my ears bleed.

I hate lonely clients, and I have fired I believe 3 already. I'm a nice guy, but I have things to do.

TWO
Contracts, no more b.s.

THREE
Invoices go out, all the time, non stop. I'll send a client an invoice for every second I'm missing payment. I will harass them until they pay or commit suicide.

Hedgemaster
01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
I would like to add a "#4"...

4. Drive to Canada and kick Cheese in the nuts.

Hey, the rest of the world is doing it - I want a turn!

:D :p

ringahding1
01-17-2012, 12:20 AM
I am constantly thinking about marketing ideas...I lay awake at night thinking about what my next step for the business will be.

So here's my question: What are 3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last year? Either for marketing, or simply running the business...

thanks...

Richard

1. Make more efforts upselling
2. Drive to Canada and have a big Glass of KOOL-AID(since I can't drink beer) and laugh our azzzzezzz off. Does that count as promoting my biz?
3. Ok...Promote my business even more and let my son run the mowing crews

CHEESE2009
01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I would like to add a "#4"...

4. Drive to Canada and kick Cheese in the nuts.

Hey, the rest of the world is doing it - I want a turn!

:D :p

LMAO

Oh geez, it's snowing / freezing rain here. I already got a call from the guy who wants me to salt... I really need to get out of this, he should have never been given my phone number as he is not MY client and is wasting my time.

He keeps saying, "Oh, I'm going to get you lots of clients"... clients that are hours away from my area and ones that I will never service... Unbelievable... All because I do a good job throwing salt around... really? Gonna drive an hour away for a few bucks? LOL

Ducke
01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Well let see if I can get this tread back on topic.

1) Expand the area I cover (there are several areas that I kind of avoided my first year due to compaction is strong there but this year it open warfare).

2) Do more networking (Neighbourhood social affairs, maybe so Community Work Etc...)

3)Get a bit more organized so I can get more done in the course of a day.

Cheese you have enough threads of your own leave ours alone ..... Bully;)

jford1995
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I've got 4..
1 invoices!
2 more clients
3 new commercial mower(hopefully)
4 new shirts that will stand out

hansenslawncare
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Great ideas! I plan on implementing a few of these myself

1.) Gain commercial accounts-last year only had residential
2.) upgrade my equipment
3.) have printed/shirts/hats-professional look

I'm hoping that I can do these 3 things...I'm looking forward to this year!

thegroundscrew
01-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Hansen Lawn Care how do you plan on obtaining these commercial accounts? I'm also hoping to gain a few commercial accounts I just truggle finding them. My dad was the one who got all of my four commercial accounts but I'm getting older and I want to do things all myself.

A professional look is key because it will separate you from those run-down, cheap looking landscape companies. Uniformity is key.

jford1995
01-19-2012, 09:00 PM
customink.com is a great place for great looking shirts they may seem high compared to the rest but you get what you pay for and the results look great!

hansenslawncare
01-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Hansen Lawn Care how do you plan on obtaining these commercial accounts? I'm also hoping to gain a few commercial accounts I just truggle finding them. My dad was the one who got all of my four commercial accounts but I'm getting older and I want to do things all myself.

A professional look is key because it will separate you from those run-down, cheap looking landscape companies. Uniformity is key.

Well my approach for the commercial accounts comes from some advice a guy on this forum gave me...and that's to find a commercial property manager, and find the properties they manage that I would be interested in submitting a bid. I think part of this business is a numbers game, really anything in sales can be said of this...and that's if you put enough bids out there you're bound to get some back. So, that's what I'm going to do, hopefully bid on enough to get back a decent amount which will put me ahead of where I was last year.

ringahding1
01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Since we all have access to the web and most of us are experiencing serious boredem do to the lack of snow, a great way to find Property management groups would be at our fingertips. LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com) is a great resource for finding anything. There is also groups in our industry that would benefit from GopherHaul.

IVPropertyMaintenance
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
This is my second year of running my own business so you better believe there are MANY things I will do differently this year. Just to name a few:

1: I already wear a "uniform" (Green shirt with brown Carhartt pants and a camo hat) but I would like to get my business name and number printed on the shirts and hats.

2: Begin to fade in annual service packages. I spent all winter wishing I had something to do. So, I came up with annual service plans which keep the customer paying throughout the winter. They pay the same price all year and I do winter maintenance during the cold months. I've already got a few customers to sign up for these packages.

3: Hire an employee. Last year I found myself scrambling around to get all my jobs done as well as trying to remember to call everyone back and service all the equipment everyday. I would definitely like to have another set of hands, even if it eats into my profit a little bit. I guess you can take on more work with another person so it really wouldn't hurt at all..

marks500
02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
1. Become more motivated to Expand my business, In past years I have taken the lazy way through the busy season. Only doing what has to be done and no more.

2. Actually Expand my businesss, Get another crew going while I am out advertising and giving estimates.

3. Make enough Money to where I dont have to worry about money in the slow season. That has to be the worst part of the business, Stressing through the winter months around here in GA.

4. Dont do work for people that have bad payment history. They either pay before next service or they get no service at all.

I am gonna make it happen this year no matter what it takes!!

marks500
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Since we all have access to the web and most of us are experiencing serious boredem do to the lack of snow, a great way to find Property management groups would be at our fingertips. LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com) is a great resource for finding anything. There is also groups in our industry that would benefit from GopherHaul.

I keep hearing about this Linkedin site on here.. what exactally is it? Should I sign up?

falgarth
02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Well I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and Ive seen NO SNOW for almost a month now. kinda odd since i live in "the great white north".
for the 3 things ill be doing different this year.

#1. MORE ads. thats onine PPC ads, FB ads (worked the best for me) and good old door to door ads

#2. focus on getting bigger places that pay more.
(im 100% res. right now, looking to expand, and get into condos & the bigger, more expensive houses)

#3. decals on my s10 blazer.

There is a thousand other new things id like to do this year, but ill have to wait and see if any of my attempts will bear fruit!

www.crystalwaterslawncare.ca

gardenbarber
02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
No snow where I live - but all the leaves blow down so I'm cleaning up mountains of leaves etc in winter .

1. Increase local advertising with postcards etc. My website does a good job and gets me about 3 new customers a week but I'd like to double that to 6 and get a new team running.

2. Increase the number of corporate gardens I do. They pay better and are easier to work with.

3. Expand my garden work with a pressure washing service. Just bought my first Briggs and Stratton 3500psi washer and done my first cleaning job. Looked like the mud man when I finished but got it done on time and in the money.

hansenslawncare
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I keep hearing about this Linkedin site on here.. what exactally is it? Should I sign up?

Great question. Linkedin is basically a professional networking website where you can list your business info. and connect with other business owners/professionals.

It's actually a great website with a lot of potential to bring traffic to your website and connect with other business minded people like us (Lawn Care Owners). It's ranked 13 in the world! So, it's probably worth your time to at least check it out. If you do look me up "Hansen's Lawn Care" and I'm sure there are a few others from Gopher on LinkedIn.

On another note...there has been some great feedback on this forum. Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed, I'm going to take a note of these things and incorporate them into my business in the future.

Thanks!

Hansen's Lawn Care (http://http://www.hansenslawncare.com/)

JeffK26
02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
This will be my first real year sooo

1. Continue to tweak my marketing campaign. From upgrading magnets on my truck to vinyl to perking up my website and continuing flier campaigns.

2. Keep signing clients.

3. Get a tan, drink some beer after a lot of days full of hard work.

boog
02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
This will be my first real year sooo

1. Continue to tweak my marketing campaign. From upgrading magnets on my truck to vinyl to perking up my website and continuing flier campaigns.

2. Keep signing clients.

3. Get a tan, drink some beer after a lot of days full of hard work.

ill go with #3

who do you have your web site with ???

boog
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
1 CHARGE MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam i went in the hole last year ???

2 get more commercial clients / :eek:i now have 5 not bad for my 2ND year in biz

3 get shirts with logo and phone #

still trying to figure out how the hell i went in the hole last year ???

TLC131
02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
1. Truck Lettering (already scheduled)
2. Attempt to gain at least one commercial account.
I already have an in with the church I snow plow and a former employer has said I have a chance b/c they just pick the cheapest bidder. My other plan is to ask my current customers for referrals to their workplaces.
3. Utilize my second truck (bought last November for snow plowing) for a second crew or just figure a way to get my money back with the truck.

This is just my quick list, there's a lot of stuff I'm trying to perfect and tune up this year.

Every year so far I have seen my cash flow about double, so that's what I'm expecting/hoping for. I plan on getting an enclosed trailer and a 60in ZTR to complete my fleet, which we know is never totally complete. :)