PDA

View Full Version : Salt storage?

caddy0291
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok I found a place that sells rock salt at a nickel a pound and sell it by the ton for $100, so my question is I want to store it in my garage what would store that much? Also what would be good to use to take it out I drive a tahoe and just do driveways {about 40-50} so it seems bukets of it in my truck would be too much labor any ideas ?

CHEESE2009
01-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Ok I found a place that sells rock salt at a nickel a pound and sell it by the ton for $100, so my question is I want to store it in my garage what would store that much? Also what would be good to use to take it out I drive a tahoe and just do driveways {about 40-50} so it seems bukets of it in my truck would be too much labor any ideas ?

You can get a salter for your truck, other than that I believe buckets are the only way to go brother ... :(

http://www.continentalcommercialproducts.com/contadmin/uploads/orig_667_5-gal-red-pail_lrg.jpg

JeffK26
01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
With no salt spreader a bucket or a larger heavy duty plastic storage container is the best bet. I also got an ice scoop, (like ya see in a bar) to scoop the ice melt into a seed spreader and use that to actually spread the ice melt.

Also, for any unused ice melt or salt to keep moisture out and clumping down, throw a few pieces of charcoal you use for BBQing into the bin or bucket.

mark123
01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Yes. 5 gallon buckets. The length of time it takes to fill and store them is more than offset by the amount you can save by buying salt in bulk.

The buckets are a bit spendy but they last forever.

bruces
01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
you can get the buckets free at make your own wine places and restaurants throw them out as well .

Hedgemaster
01-16-2012, 04:06 PM
With 5 cats I am never without a bucket when I need one...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LV_o06Dm92s/TjlIaOkmohI/AAAAAAAAAW8/gAb4NcXMVp4/s1600/Tidy+Cat+Litter.jpg

I was thinking about getting a large plastic storage bin to dump larger quantities in and keep it in the bed of the truck.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I use storage totes. I line the bed and when I pick the salt up its dropped in the bins. The only problem is there not that strong to move to much.

I started doing this to keep the salt dry and out of the bed. The salt was eating right through the metal.

bruces
01-16-2012, 04:42 PM
I have replaced two year old pickup truck boxes because they were so rotten you couldnt stand in them ,so do NOT allow the salt to sit in your truck without at least a bedliner in it ,or at the very least ,get it out as quick as you can then clean the heck out of it .These were new fords and a new box up here is about $8500.00 and they gave us no warranty .

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
I have replaced two year old pickup truck boxes because they were so rotten you couldnt stand in them ,so do NOT allow the salt to sit in your truck without at least a bedliner in it ,or at the very least ,get it out as quick as you can then clean the heck out of it .These were new fords and a new box up here is about $8500.00 and they gave us no warranty .

I have a mason dump that I had to line with 2x10 because the previous owner left salt in it. The steel was at least a 1/4" thick and was ate through. Even with a bed liner the salt finds it way into nooks and crannies.

dpld
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
With 5 cats I am never without a bucket when I need one...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LV_o06Dm92s/TjlIaOkmohI/AAAAAAAAAW8/gAb4NcXMVp4/s1600/Tidy+Cat+Litter.jpg

I was thinking about getting a large plastic storage bin to dump larger quantities in and keep it in the bed of the truck.

yes i have 2 cats as well and those cat litter buckets have tons of uses.

i even use them for my christmas lights and cords because they are water tight and i can stack them up and everything is protected from being crushed.