PDA

View Full Version : Spring clean up

glbusch
01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I see spring clean up being offered by other companies, but I am not sure what is really involved. It sounds good and I think it will help me build up new cliental. Please let me know a little of what you offer in this service and how you would normally estimate such a job.

limbwalker2002
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Where I'm at, spring clean-up can mean lots of things. I do a lot of fruit tree pruning - that's usually what gets me on the property, I generally look around and take it from there w/ new clients. Established customers are looking at cleaning up storm damage, branches, some brush trimming, cleaning out landscaping, etc. I'm not a big fan of spring-time lawn thatching, but that's coming up before too long - maybe already where you're at.
I'm a fan of basing my estimates on how long I think the job will take - and I keep it as open-ended as I can, with lots of communication with the client. Bid-per job can yield the occasional $$jackpot, but if you're looking for new clients, I say it's better to impress them with your quality and know they'll be calling you when the next project comes up.
You'll need a pickup and/or trailer for hauling crap, AND keep in mind where/how you're disposing of it - dump (fees?), burn-pile, whatever. Be sure to remember the time it will take you to off-load whatever you're hauling.

bruces
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
a spring clean-up is just what it sounds like .Deal with any leaves ,turn the flower beds , blow the walkways etc ,basically do what needs to be done to get the yard ready for the growing season .They can be a basic service or as advanced as you like .

Steve
01-16-2012, 08:18 PM
They can be a basic service or as advanced as you like

For those looking to add additional services, what others would you suggest for a more advanced spring clean up?

Chilehead
01-16-2012, 08:41 PM
My advanced cleanup: First, I pick up any leaves too heavy for the mower. Next, I pick sticks out of the hedges and blow off the roof of the house (gutters too). Then, I trim any hedges that need it. Certain hedges need deep-pruned in winter, so don't attempt it if you don't know your horticulture. After that I mow with clipping collection, and follow up by edging all applicable areas. Next, I blow everything down. Finally, I leave the customer the bill and take a pic of the property. Cheers!:D

bruces
01-16-2012, 09:05 PM
anything your comfortable performing can be on the list ,from tree removal,to gutter cleaning,christmas light removal ,garbage removal ,heck I would even evict the bums living in the ditch if the homeowner wanted me to .

Sprinkler Buddy
01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
For those looking to add additional services, what others would you suggest for a more advanced spring clean up?

Here in FL, pressure washing sidewalks, etc... is an additional service many lawn guys offer.

Steve
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
With all these great potential service ideas, what is your view on how best to sell them?

What have you found that works best to turn a $40 spring clean up into a $200+ spring clean up?

Ducke
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Flower bed edging,
De-Thatching
Aeration
Fluff up Mulch in beds

Just some of the extras I can think of that have not been mentioned.

Chilehead
01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
With all these great potential service ideas, what is your view on how best to sell them?

What have you found that works best to turn a $40 spring clean up into a $200+ spring clean up?

SAY WHAT?!? $40.00 cleanup? There is no way I perform cleanups for that little. $75.00 is my minimum cleanup charge for one that takes 30-45 minutes. Part of the fee is what the dump chrges for me to dispose of the debris. Remember, a company's size can be determined by their profit but their health is determined by their profit MARGIN.:cool:

joeblack
01-20-2012, 07:15 PM
SAY WHAT?!? $40.00 cleanup? There is no way I perform cleanups for that little. $75.00 is my minimum cleanup charge for one that takes 30-45 minutes. Part of the fee is what the dump chrges for me to dispose of the debris. Remember, a company's size can be determined by their profit but their health is determined by their profit MARGIN.:cool:

Ya Kiddin me?! you telling me you got clients who will basically pay you at a rate of $150/hr???

Chilehead
01-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Ya Kiddin me?! you telling me you got clients who will basically pay you at a rate of $150/hr???

No, Joe. Read my post. It says, "$75.00 including dump fees". The fee is $50.00 a load (up to 6 yards). So on my 30-minute cleanup, I clear $25.00 for labor, $30.00 for disposal, and what the dump actually charges me is $20.00 a load. Thus , my gross profit is $55.00. I then take out $10.00 for gas, and my net profit is $45.00 for a 30-min job. Not bad, really.
Now lets assume that I had a 3-hour job that filled my trailer with 6 yards of debris. My rate is $40.00-$50.00 an hour depending on the neighborhood, so lets just settle on $40.00 an hour for arguments sake. The customer's cost would be $120.00 for labor, and $50.00 for debris disposal ($30.00 of which, I keep). This job would thus provide a gross profit of $150.00. If this same job had 2 loads of debris, I would charge the $50.00 disposal fee twice.

joeblack
01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
No, Joe. Read my post. It says, "$75.00 including dump fees". The fee is $50.00 a load (up to 6 yards). So on my 30-minute cleanup, I clear $25.00 for labor, $30.00 for disposal, and what the dump actually charges me is $20.00 a load. Thus , my gross profit is $55.00. I then take out $10.00 for gas, and my net profit is $45.00 for a 30-min job. Not bad, really.
Now lets assume that I had a 3-hour job that filled my trailer with 6 yards of debris. My rate is $40.00-$50.00 an hour depending on the neighborhood, so lets just settle on $40.00 an hour for arguments sake. The customer's cost would be $120.00 for labor, and $50.00 for debris disposal ($30.00 of which, I keep). This job would thus provide a gross profit of $150.00. If this same job had 2 loads of debris, I would charge the $50.00 disposal fee twice.

hey thanks for explaining it details, this type of information is very useful us start up guys.
I guess I was getting hung up on client's perspective. I mean if a lawn service came to me and charged me $75 to clean my yard and only spent 30 minutes in the yard I would be like 'What the hell?" (assuming its a one man job) But now I see where your charges come from a high disposal fee.
Here in my city we can bag it and make stick piles and leave it for weekly trash pick up. Thats if the client is okay with having their curb junked up for up to 6 days.

Steve
01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Here in my city we can bag it and make stick piles and leave it for weekly trash pick up. Thats if the client is okay with having their curb junked up for up to 6 days.

You also gotta keep in mind it is going to take you more time to bag all that versus blowing it onto a tarp and hauling it up on your trailer and out to the dump.

joeblack
01-26-2012, 01:34 AM
You also gotta keep in mind it is going to take you more time to bag all that versus blowing it onto a tarp and hauling it up on your trailer and out to the dump.

Unfortunately my dump is a solid 25 minute drive:mad:

Steve
01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
That is something to take into consideration too! WOW!

Is there any other space locally where you can dump yard waste? DO you have a spot on your property where you could do it?

joeblack
01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
That is something to take into consideration too! WOW!

Is there any other space locally where you can dump yard waste? DO you have a spot on your property where you could do it?

Locally? Many places... Errrg illegally.
Now that you mention it i have like a 8x8 ft collapsable dog pin that would be perfect for holding waste till i can make fully loaded trips to dump.
Steve i have a great appreciation for your multitude of questions bc they get thinking of possibilities i wouldnt have that about myself. So thank you.

stevef1201
01-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I use spring cleanup as a way to get long term customers, I just did one, small yard, house had been vacant for 4 years. The maintenance was simply running a mower, no edging, no trimming. Oh yeah piling up the tree limbs and palm fronds in the corner. New mulch in the beds, trimm the hedges, lop off tree imbs and dead plam fronds (still hanging from palm) cut off several areas of sreading plants, trimm yard, edge, etc. Hauled off about 3 yards of debris, and spent about 4 hours working. Charge was 180 bucks, in cluding the new mulch, I dont have to pay dump fees as I have a place to dump debris. I told her I would only charge 125 if she became a full time customer as most of the yard cleanup would be done as weekly maintenance in the future. So for 65 dollar reduction in fee I got a new 50 a month customer.
It dont a phi beta cappa to figure out 50 x 12 (600) is more than 65.

Steve
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I use spring cleanup as a way to get long term customers

What's your thoughts on the best way to upsell clean up customers to weekly mowing customers?