PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone from TJs Landscaping and Lawncare

ctranjones
01-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi. I wanted to take the time to introduce myself. My name is Christina, I just started a landscaping company with my husband, Michael. We are from High Point, NC. My husband has been in the industry for over 15 years, I am fairly new to it-but slowly learning my way. We started TJs Landscaping and Lawncare in October of 2011. He is currently working for another landscaping company until we get some more clientele to set us off comfortably. Since I am a stay at home mother, I thought it would be great to start this business. I am helping with the office end of the industry. We are still taking off right now, but hope to be getting a great start with the spring coming up soon. I am always up for any advice from anyone that could help me understand the industry a bit more.

For fun, the husband and I love to be outdoors doing anything together. We love to travel and site see.

If you guys have any advice to give me feel free. I am very open minded and love to hear from you guys/gals.

Steve
01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you to decide to go this route and start your own lawn care business?

Chilehead
01-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Best advice I can give you two is to keep your overhead low, your quality of work high, and you need to roll with the punches in this industry. Here in GA we have suffered some major drought episodes and many newbies went belly up in no time flat. Because your hubby has 15 years experience, it shouldn't be foreign to you what can bog you down. Also, innovate-innovate-innovate. Finding new ways of doing things to adapt to changing conditions is critical to the longevity of a business.:)

Steve
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Also, innovate-innovate-innovate.

Do you have any examples of how lawn care businesses in your area have had to innovate to better adapt to the ever changing environment?

Chilehead
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Do you have any examples of how lawn care businesses in your area have had to innovate to better adapt to the ever changing environment?

I can't speak for other lawn care companies, but I make my own decisions based on the market I want to dominate. For me, it's high-end residential. For others, it may not be. Check out policymap.com for a wide variety of demographics to help you make wise business decisions.

Chilehead
01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Also, being personable goes a long way. I recommend joining Toastmasters to aid in this area.

Steve
01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
I recommend joining Toastmasters to aid in this area.

How have you found that organization to be helpful to you?

Sprinkler Buddy
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
You can also check out Score.org, they may be able to guide you in the direction you want to go. It's a non-profit organization mostly run by volunteers, they'll set you an appointment up with someone with experience in whatever it is you have questions on or need help with. (All for FREE!)

I'm meeting up with a local chapter in my area next week. I'll share my experience.

Good luck in your new venture.

Chilehead
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
How have you found that organization to be helpful to you?

Yes, it has been quite helpful.

Steve
01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
What do you feel they have done to help? I am thinking most people don't know much about them.

Chilehead
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Toastmasters is a non-profit organization that helps people with PR skills and public speaking. For more info, see www.toastmasters.org

Sprinkler Buddy
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
You can also check out Score.org, they may be able to guide you in the direction you want to go. It's a non-profit organization mostly run by volunteers, they'll set you an appointment up with someone with experience in whatever it is you have questions on or need help with. (All for FREE!)

I'm meeting up with a local chapter in my area next week. I'll share my experience.

Good luck in your new venture.

"Update"

I have gained a few new leads through the local chapter of Score.org today.

I would recommend their services, one it's Free and second, they appear to be eager to help you succeed. At least in my case. LoL

Check them out in your local area, you have nothing to lose.

Steve
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
What went on at the meeting? I was looking forwards to hearing your updates!

Will you meet with them again?