PDA

View Full Version : Pitch book

Chaz
01-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Well I started a Pure sales based job today. its totally different from anything i have done, but it really makes you get involved with customers and get declined about 100x before u get a sale. its face to face selling a small vacation that basically gets them in the door to someone else trying to sell timeshare of the property they are staying at.

anyways a key sales tool is a pitch book. I felt that this would be an EXCELLENT tool to take with you when ever you go to a clients house. in this pitch book we have recognition from Expedia (top 1% ranked resort), and awesome pictures of the resort.

Could you imagine if you are doing door to door, and having this valuable tool. you could include some pictures of your equipment, pictures of your best jobs, before and after pictures, testimonials, community service pictures, example invoices, contracts, education, the certificate for completing steves lawn business school, licenses, insurances, anything really. it would be very important to make sure these pictures are professionally printed and are convincing.

This would be great when going to give estimates or even going to current clients, maybe to collect payment or you see them in the yard while you are working. You could pull out the pitch book and show them some jobs you have been doing while possibly opening opportunities to new jobs or building rapport with your clients and also building a relationship.

You could request estimates for a certain job from other companies, then put your estimate in there (if its lower) to show that you are very competitive. In this case I would keep the company anonymous, maybe.

it could be a conversation starter anywhere

the opportunities are endless with this idea, feed back is encouraged.

I do plan to make one very soon, probably this up coming week

thegroundscrew
01-15-2012, 12:01 AM
SOUNDS AWESOME.. I started one but failed to finish it> You should definitly post it when your done with it, I'm excited to see it. I worked for CUTCO for a year and KIRBY for a year so I also have a lot of experience selling door to door and through referrals. What company are you working for?

JeffK26
01-15-2012, 12:35 AM
I put together a handy binder. It has service agreements in it, my insurance papers, my licensing. Also has brochures for the organic products and pics of the different mulch. I also have some pages with tips and such to better help the customer understand certain procedures. It also contains handy phone numbers to a few dealers, tow companies, compost sites and nurseries in case i need to ask a question to something.

Chaz
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
SOUNDS AWESOME.. I started one but failed to finish it> You should definitly post it when your done with it, I'm excited to see it. I worked for CUTCO for a year and KIRBY for a year so I also have a lot of experience selling door to door and through referrals. What company are you working for?

Yeah I'll post it when I am finished. I am working for a new company called persuasion marketing

I put together a handy binder. It has service agreements in it, my insurance papers, my licensing. Also has brochures for the organic products and pics of the different mulch. I also have some pages with tips and such to better help the customer understand certain procedures. It also contains handy phone numbers to a few dealers, tow companies, compost sites and nurseries in case i need to ask a question to something.

that sounds similar but my idea of a pitch book is mostly pictures and its mostly for others to see, it sounds like a personal reference book is what you have, which would be great to have for yourself, ill prolly make one as well. but what I am thinking is a sales based book, maybe used for about 1 - 2 minutes for a customer, so it wouldn't be a lot of reading for the customer but has the "wow" affect on the customers, just to prove that I am the real deal, and legit.

an information packet would be also a good idea to leave with a potential client. it could include a page on how important insurance is and if you are hiring someone that doesn't have it then its on their home owners insurance. just a whole packet to make them think, maybe some information and facts on the some lawn care topics idk

Chaz
01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
going to cvs tomorrow to print some pictures for this book.

I think it will turn out great!

Chaz
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Ok I got some pictures printed today.

I am so please with the results. I went to CVS because I have gotten some pictures done there before and you can plug your USB right up to their machine, zoom in, crop and everything.

I have printed 3 8x10's of before and after's 4 pictures on each, they were like 3.99 each. AND they have one of the pictures that i selected as the back drop in a fade (which looks freaking amazing)

Before pictures are on top of the after pictures!
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3301/0116021747a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/0116021747a.jpg/)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2852/0116021747.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85/0116021747.jpg/)

I also printed two large 8x10 full size pictures about 3.99 each as well, one is a mulch job and their azaleas were blooming so it looked very nice.
and the first one, which isn't picture here was a lawn that i had mowed and did the mulch the same day. I had a little mulch mess in the driveway of the picture but i went to paint and edited it out and it turned out great!, ill upload before and after pics of that as well

Chaz
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
This is the original picture
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6397/1001125xz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/1001125xz.jpg/)

This is the picture I edited out the mess in driveway
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4175/editcx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/editcx.jpg/)

This is the same picture but i had a little fun with the window LOL I really got a kick out of this.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2210/edit20.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/edit20.jpg/)

Sorry for them being so huge?

Chaz
01-16-2012, 05:42 PM
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6442/beforeandafteru.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/beforeandafteru.png/)

This is a scan of one of the pictures, it looks great

Steve
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
How should one use a pitch book to make sales?

Chaz
01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
How should one use a pitch book to make sales?

Well what you wanna be quick with it, you wanna show them and go over
everything you want in the book. hitting the main details that would show
the customers interest. I wouldn't get in to details that wouldn't affect the
sale like pricing and everything, but basically your 60 - 120 seconds to prove
yourself, and your business. just flip through the pages,

my first page will probably be my mower truck trailer and equipment once i
get it,

So if it was a mowing prospect:
I'd open the book up and be like check this out; I use a 54" Husqvarna Mower
to do my mowing. It's equipped with a powerful 26HP motor, its a 2011 brand
new and I have a good relationship with the service company that is in the
immediate area resulting in less down time if my (brand new) mower was to
have a major problem. I also have a back up trimmer so if one goes down,
you, (the customer) wont have anything to worry about. and flip the page

If it was a Mulching job

I'd open the book to the same picture and be like, this is what I'd use to be
hauling the mulch, its a 2003 F150 with a 1 ton trailer, I should be able to
haul my own mulch and wont have to pay a delivery charge, resulting in
savings for me and you.

Also have some before and after jobs in there if someone is getting similar
work done. I'd also have a page of customer referrals (still gotta get some ;))
Have my fictitious business name, proof of insurance, contract with
highlighted key points that id want to emphasize on, and at the end a new
client survey (and say customer relationships are important to me etc)

just quick, to the point. your time to shine, wouldn't spend any more time
than 30 seconds on a page

also a good ice breaker and even better chance to give your prospect a good
idea of your business when you are going door to door.

Great to take to a show, for some networking, show off before and after
pictures with anyone and everyone, this is when I'd probably get into the
details just to keep good conversation

However, in case it was lost, because i plan on taking it everywhere, I'd have
a watermark through the contract, and remove all the risky details from the
insurance forms, fictitious name form, wouldn't want it to get into the wrong
hands.

Steve
01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Well I started a Pure sales based job today. its totally different from anything i have done, but it really makes you get involved with customers and get declined about 100x before u get a sale.

How do you feel the sales of vacation homes is similar or differs from selling lawn care and landscapes?

its face to face selling a small vacation that basically gets them in the door to someone else trying to sell timeshare of the property they are staying at.

Is there something you can do similarly in lawn care where the potential customer may call you initially for 'this' and you try and upsell them on 'that'?

Chaz
01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
How do you feel the sales of vacation homes is similar or differs from selling lawn care and landscapes?

Is there something you can do similarly in lawn care where the potential customer may call you initially for 'this' and you try and upsell them on 'that'?

Well I haven't done sales in the past, it probably isn't much different from selling landscaping services, but i was always on the labor end of things, so i never really learned the sales. I took some marketing classes at school that are required with the small business degree and they really sparked interest in getting into the marketing and sales of my business. So i went to craigslist and found some jobs that involved sales; just so i could really build my resume and get experience is only reasons why i even looked and applied.

All of the sales that I currently do are face to face, so I don't really have any great ideas on doing over the phone. I would schedule a meeting asap, bring my pitch book, talk about what the property could look like, give them a estimate/quote on the spot brag about how they wont have anything to worry about because I would be so reliable. Just basically really build a large value on the entire thing. and maybe if u do it well enough, i mean really good, ask them what they think they should be paying, and hopefully they are exceeding what you quoted them, and will be happy to see a lower price and could sell it on the spot. now if they guess lower, you can try to save yourself on reminding them what they will receive, or you might not even be interested in them (maybe they can't afford it).

Steve
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I think this is going to be a great year for you and I can't wait to hear some of your feedback as you get out there and start making some amazing sales with the help of your pitch book.

thegroundscrew
01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Chaz,

You really come across as a go-getter! I really like it. The landscaping business is really about offering stellar services but just as important is unique ways of marketing and advertising. The pitch book will definitly work well. What do you think about door to door marketing using your pitch book? Is that something your thinking about? It would be cool if you could email me on this site about your pitch book so I get a better idea of what your putting together. Your giving me some good ideas to do for Spring.

Chaz
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Chaz,

You really come across as a go-getter! I really like it. The landscaping business is really about offering stellar services but just as important is unique ways of marketing and advertising. The pitch book will definitly work well. What do you think about door to door marketing using your pitch book? Is that something your thinking about? It would be cool if you could email me on this site about your pitch book so I get a better idea of what your putting together. Your giving me some good ideas to do for Spring.

Well just to give a general outline of what it will be, i don't mine talking on here because its not finished and i have not made a guideline for myself yet either.

open book
Page 1 Will probably be a picture of my Truck with trailer hooked on, loaded
with my mower, and equipment, probably have wheelbarrows in the back of
the truck and signs on it. basically look like what you would see me on an
average day, EXCEPT it would all be sparkling clean and have a nice
background etc.

flip page
Page 2 Will have my licensing information
Page 3 Will have information on insurance coverage highlight key points
(limits, whats covered, etc)

Flip page
Page 4 Probably have my degree certificate
Page 5 Have the certificate for Steve's lawn school (I'm in process so haven't
seen it or not even sure if he has one? and If it wasn't to my liking, I'd just
make another one)

Flip page
Page 6 Full blown picture of a mowed lawn 8x10"
Page 7 A before and after page (like shown on post 9)

flip page
Page 8 Full blow picture of a blooming scene (where i did the mulch)
Page 9 before and after page

flip page
Page 10 before and after page
Page 11 testimonials (more the better)

Some other things that you could add are an estimate from another local company (keep their name anonymous) and have your estimate beside it to show that you are very competitive (make sure that price is lower obviously).

another feature that my company has is that I plan to use a good invoice system, so I might have one in there and go over it with them or something. I don't think I'd go over this on door to door marketing though, just depends on how in-to-it your prospect is.

I would not have key information listed on any of this, copy insurance and white out policy numbers, student numbers, etc incase the book was lost.

now its your turn; is there any other things that should be added?

Steve
01-19-2012, 03:10 PM
As you grow, you could add more pages of different upsell services you offer and have performed.

For instance: Outdoor lighting, retaining walls, patios, bbq pits etc etc

"Mrs Johnson, I really think your property could benefit from some quality installed night lighting to highlight certain landscape elements. Let me show you what I mean."

Then you would go back to your sales book.

Chaz
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
As you grow, you could add more pages of different upsell services you offer and have performed.

For instance: Outdoor lighting, retaining walls, patios, bbq pits etc etc

"Mrs Johnson, I really think your property could benefit from some quality installed night lighting to highlight certain landscape elements. Let me show you what I mean."

Then you would go back to your sales book.

Bingo, could also have an upsell book where you could use that for existing customers and upsell them on extra services.

Steve
01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Yea that is a good point. An upsell book! Where you could show the customer your previous work and maybe allow them to keep the book over night to look through. Then you could come back the next day if needed and try to seal the deal then.