PDA

View Full Version : Oh god

CHEESE2009
01-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Started shoveling at 3PM till 3AM.

My guy and me are taking an hour break, then doing it all over again LOL.

Kill me now. Boots are soaked, and I've only got one pair = everyone should buy two pairs of winter boots.

rbnmy240
01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
man you are so lucky to have any work!! we didn't get any snow here in northeastern Nebraska yet

Ducke
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I feel for you Scott.
I just finished a 6 hour shift at my day job then 5 hour doing snow slept a few hours then back out to do clean up. Take it easy pace yourself.

CHEESE2009
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Come down here, I'll give you all the money in the world.

My guy wont answer his phone (dead asleep), and other contacts aren't interested.

I need four guys, and now I'm alone again. I am actually very angry.

WHERE DID ALL THE MANLY MEN GO? All the punks my age wanna work as cashiers or something... psh... :mad:

My body REALLY wants to go to sleep, but I can't afford it. I'm supposed to be on the road now and I can't find a damn soul to work with me.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QVzoXDlbu4s/TNvRQDFkkbI/AAAAAAAAAJA/delrRK83FEQ/s1600/face_punch.jpg

If I work alone, I will have to work EXACTLY 24 more hours straight. With a helper, we can do it around 12-13 hours with this kind of snow. I'm losing my mind.

Steve
01-13-2012, 03:46 PM
When I saw this post, I was happy to hear you had a helper and I was going to ask how all that was working out.

Now I am not sure if I should ask you anything about that :eek:

Hedgemaster
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
We were "bracing" for up to 3" overnight. LOL!

We got a dusting - maybe an inch or so, with gusty winds.
Not even enough to prompt the old ladies to pick up the phone to ask me to come over.

CHEESE2009
01-13-2012, 10:03 PM
I just got home for a much needed break. It's exactly 10:00PM, and I will be trying to rest until 1AM.

This is murder.

I started work at 3PM yesterday till today at 10PM, considering I sleep.. How many hours is that? I'm not even done, and I will most likely have to work till the afternoon of tomorrow!

Already I need a vacation, lol.

TiedemanLLC
01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Started shoveling at 3PM till 3AM.

My guy and me are taking an hour break, then doing it all over again LOL.

Kill me now. Boots are soaked, and I've only got one pair = everyone should buy two pairs of winter boots.

You should see the inside of my truck, packed with extra stuff. I learned hard over the years. I always carry:

three extra coats
three pairs of gloves
three hats
food
two sets of clothes to change into (t-shirts, hoodies, jeans, socks, underwear)
an extra pair of boots

I feel your pain though, I started at 3am and got done around 6pm. Going back out tomorrow morning again for touch ups. I am lucky that it will probably only be a 5 hour day (fingers crossed). The worst thought tonight was when I got home and was dead tired, but the wife told me to get my butt out there and do our driveway. Keep in mind our driveway is around 1/4 mile long.

CHEESE2009
01-13-2012, 10:18 PM
We are all going to die.

LOL

Picture 1: My helper and me after completing our route.
http://post.cloudfront.goodinc.com/EmbeddedImage/5542/org_Congrats.gif

Picture 2: Reality. 95% of the work we had done, was for nothing.
http://smallbiztechnology.com/media/snow-storm.jpg

Picture 3: My face, when I realize we have to do it all over again.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EzrLpK-BDko/TVqB2XqtXRI/AAAAAAAAALc/TvGfjC3RxOA/s1600/dawson-crying.jpg

Johnny_boy02
01-13-2012, 10:56 PM
It was 65 degrees here today... The grass is still growing and leaves are still falling. Good luck!

CHEESE2009
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Starting at 3pm two days ago, till today at 8:00AM.

I am DONE!

Sad part is I can't sleep LOL, so thrilled to be done and I need to find a way to celebrate...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_FF22cBZJsU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Cleaning Doctor
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Here is an old trick that we used to do when hunting and our boots got wet. New dry socks and then put a bread sack over them before putting them in your boots. yeah your feet can't breathe right but hey my feet were dry.

Now if you really want to have a good pair of boots, gets some xtratuff and also get the liner and your feet will stay dry. They are the same boots that you see them use on Deadliest Catch and when I was in Alaska I used them all the time. With the liner they are warm and toasty.

Ducke
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
This was me yesterday after 19 hour

http://rlv.zcache.com/zombie_duck_photosculpture-p153678224599123061z8wb9_400.jpg

Had mega sleep last night and most of this morning.
Went out and collected money and then did bank run.
rest of day I worked on my taxes and read a book.

CHEESE2009
01-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah, keeping my socks dry was difficult.

I put bags over my socks before putting my boots on, but one bag seemed to absorb the water LOL. I ended up having a ball of ice under my foot.

I swear, I feel like I was on a journey for 10 years, coming home like a beat up dog. $150 spent on gas...

The feeling of being finished was truly emotional. Seeing the day and night cycle twice + 1, while being extremely exhausted and in pain. Damn I'm dedicated.. or stupid. Sure the physical aspect of it sucks, but the mental destruction is just brutal.

Unfortunately, it's as though I am traumatized. Every time I blink, I feel as though I may appear back in my truck... as if being done is a dream. :eek:

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/files/imagecache/feature/files/features/print/20091123_stuff_nightmares.jpg

Ducke
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
So Scott do you think you will do this again next year ??
or do you think you will try to get a smaller group of clients of your own to do??

CHEESE2009
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
So Scott do you think you will do this again next year ??
or do you think you will try to get a smaller group of clients of your own to do??

I'm really not sure anymore. LOL.

I'll most likely continue to provide walkway shoveling service, but maybe set a limit for myself.

If I do have the same amount of clients next year, I will maybe split my route in half, and have someone else take the truck/helper and finish it while I rest.

I suppose I have three options, if I were to maintain the same amount of clients;

1. Create shifts, to allow myself a break while someone else finishes off the route.

2. Try a 3 or more person crew. Maybe even make it so that I don't ever have to leave the truck! :p ... Either way, normal people need sleep and are less productive when they are tired from working long hours..

3. Buy another truck = NOT happening any time soon! $$$$

-

Honestly, I can't wait to cut grass again. I want to see the grass, I miss it very much.

Ducke
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Honestly, I can't wait to cut grass again. I want to see the grass, I miss it very much.

I agree with you 1000000000000000000%
I really miss the grass.(the mowing kind)

http://www.stripeslawncare.co.uk/userimages/36-1454_fs.jpg

Steve
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Scott,

Do you like the way the company you are sub-contracting for is operating the business? Would you like to operate like that in the future?

georgia lawn
01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
"Maybe even make it so that I don't ever have to leave the truck!"

Sounds like the best option to me :)

CHEESE2009
01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Scott,

Do you like the way the company you are sub-contracting for is operating the business? Would you like to operate like that in the future?

To be honest, the company and myself have been through a lot together and see eye to eye on just about everything. The way we work, think, and even complain is extremely similar. We both share the same issues, the ones even all of you think I'm crazy for .... The burden living in my town comes with wacky clients, I promise you that.

We both understand our competition very well, and we have an alliance with each other, as we both have an understanding that we are better off fighting together than on our own, due to our similarities. (we used to be 'family').

In short, we have been involved with each other for several years now in a positive way. We both have the power to hurt each other, but we have no reason to. I used to work for them. before I went rogue... lol

SO ANYWAYS, I suppose I would like to be able to maintain the growth of my company like they are able to. They are pretty good at finding the right staff where as I get stuck with a bunch of crackheads.

I still remember the day they hired me over the phone several years ago, I had never met them before in my life. "Hello? Wanna come cut some grass?". lolololol :D

ALSO::::

I sometimes feel as if I should go back with them, as I could be a very huge asset towards them and together we can take on the world. I know they feel the same way, and were very upset when I had left. We were the A-Team, it was beautiful.

Steve
01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
They are pretty good at finding the right staff where as I get stuck with a bunch of crackheads.

Since they had hired you in the past, what do you feel is the difference between the way you find and hire people versus the way they do it?

CHEESE2009
01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Since they had hired you in the past, what do you feel is the difference between the way you find and hire people versus the way they do it?

I'm stumped.
Here are some scenarios that are possible;

Them: They either give everyone a chance/interview.
Me: I don't have the patience for interviewing, I will do reverse email searches, or ask around.

Them: They hire from other companies.
Me: I'm scared of starting a war, and I'm not interested in hiring someone out of my age group to be honest. I also don't want to hire someone too clever! If I was older than my boss, I would rip my hair out.

Them: They are bigger and well known, so I'm sure they get lots of calls from those wanting to find work. Perhaps even clients recommend family members/friends to work for them.
Me: I'm not interested in employing someone related to my client, as it would most likely interfere and become difficult to 'fire' the person.

Them: Their company is run by two people, meaning they are more capable of being brutal with one guy behind the curtain.
Me: I have to always be the good guy.

I do know one of the owners was in 'business' while the partner was hired from another lawn maintenance company. Very smart. Cool.

Steve
01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Well it's got to be very interesting for you to work close with them like that because you get a chance to compare and contrast your business with theirs and see what they are doing that you might like to do more of or more like theirs. You also get a chance to see what you don't like that they do and avoid it.