PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer

wdcutter
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
after some running around I finally ended up with a new dump trailer going into the 2012 season. I had wanted one, but decided to try an insert and things kinda fell apart in the end and then I found this 6x10 dump trailer. What a difference it has made already.

dpld
01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
i bought a 7 x 10 ez dumper trailer with the highway suspension package that has a 10,000 gvw like 10 years ago and pound for pound it was the best investment i ever made.

it's still in great shape and even though i don't use it as much as i used to it is kind of hard to let it go for what it cost to keep on the road and maintain.
my trailer has sides that can be removed along with the barn door tailgate and it has a permanent bulk head and with the side tie down rails i can also use it as a flat bed which works out nice for picking up loads that are on pallets.
depending on the weight i can get up to 4 pallets on the trailer and its easy to load and unload with side access.
i also use it as a flatbed to carry my 430 gallon spray rig.

i find they are a good all around investment, i love mine.

Steve
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
What is your view on when such a piece of equipment should be bought and how often it is used?

I think a lot of newer lawn care business owners would love to have one of these but, should they be buying it to haul their equipment around in too? Or would that not make much sense?

dpld
01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
What is your view on when such a piece of equipment should be bought and how often it is used?

I think a lot of newer lawn care business owners would love to have one of these but, should they be buying it to haul their equipment around in too? Or would that not make much sense?

well, i use mine as a second dump truck and depending on what size you buy they have many advantages.
they ae good for a guy that allready has a good quality heavy duty truck capable of towing it and does not want to be bothered with the purchase of a 2nd truck.

for the money you get a brand new unit vs for the same money you get a crappy used truck as well as plates and insurance are very minimal.
i have a enclosure for my trailer and use it for the leaf loader and it will hold about 14 cubic yards of material and i don't have to tie up a truck for the job.

in the winter when the trucks have a salter in them and i need to move some material i use the dump trailer.

i guess you could also use it for moving equipment around but it would be a hassle having to use ramps but if your budget is limited you got to do what you got to do and it could do both.

i even used it in conjunction with my dump pulling it to run large quanities of mulch back and forth on bigger jobs farther away and the two together can move about 24 yrds of mulch.
either way you cut the cake, by purchaseing the right dump trailer you will be adding some punch to your business regardless of what size operation you have.

wdcutter
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
either way you cut the cake, by purchaseing the right dump trailer you will be adding some punch to your business regardless of what size operation you have.

I have an enclosed trailer for my mowing equipment and will remain with the same set-up. I was at the point this past season were I was having to work out of the back of my truck alot and was dependent on others for deliveries on bigger jobs and needed to do something different and it seemed to be the best fit for me.

As for starting out with one, if your just mowing I would wait. I waited until I grew more into the landscaping side of things and had other work lined up for it before doing so.

They have landscape ramps for the low profile ones that hook into where the tailgate goes if someone wanted to go that route. There are a couple of outfits around here that use there dump trailers for pretty much everything.

dpld
01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I have an enclosed trailer for my mowing equipment and will remain with the same set-up. I was at the point this past season were I was having to work out of the back of my truck alot and was dependent on others for deliveries on bigger jobs and needed to do something different and it seemed to be the best fit for me.

As for starting out with one, if your just mowing I would wait. I waited until I grew more into the landscaping side of things and had other work lined up for it before doing so.

They have landscape ramps for the low profile ones that hook into where the tailgate goes if someone wanted to go that route. There are a couple of outfits around here that use there dump trailers for pretty much everything.

i myself would not use it for a equipment trailer and i really could'nt even if i wanted to.
i use enclosed myself and i need extra security being on larger sites i can not always see the trailer and its easy to lock everything down when the trailer is enclosed.