PDA

View Full Version : Would YOU buy this truck?

eMCeeW
01-06-2012, 02:22 AM
I have a chance to get my hands on a 1999 F350 xl 4x4 V8 Regular cab. Just a BARE bones truck, but thats fine. I had a few questions for you guys...
#1 Is a V8 powerful enough to pull a trailer with equipment or will it struggle?
#2 Is a V8 powerful enough to plow?
#3 Will the locking front hubs be a pain in the ***?
#4 Would you be concerned with the age... It only has 55k miles and gently used.
#5 I'm concerned with cab space. Not really a question but would like input..

Please give me some input about weather or not your would pull the trigger. Would probably be $8-10k.

eMCeeW
01-06-2012, 02:30 AM
I suppose I will add that I know the truck will get the job done, what I want to know is will it do it well. I guess I dont want to think every day... "should have gone with a bigger engine" I know its a good deal but is it ideal...

jasonw
01-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Honestly, I would walk away from it respectfully. I Picked up my Dodge for $2,860 and it's only 3 years older than that "1996" Granted its a lot less truck "2WD short bed, 318 V8, Auto" but it has NEVER backed down from a job or failed in any way. I pulled 6,300lbs on my bumper about a month after buying it and could hardly tell there was a trailer there. Ultimately, it's your call but my opinion is to walk away.

dpld
01-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I have a chance to get my hands on a 1999 F350 xl 4x4 V8 Regular cab. Just a BARE bones truck, but thats fine. I had a few questions for you guys...
#1 Is a V8 powerful enough to pull a trailer with equipment or will it struggle?
#4 Would you be concerned with the age... It only has 55k miles and gently used.

Please give me some input about weather or not your would pull the trigger. Would probably be $8-10k.

one of my older trucks is the same truck as you describe and its been good to me.
it has the 5.8 v8 and the power is not bad for pulling the trailer, its not the most powerfull but it gets the job done.
its the type of truck if it is taken care of and not abused it will give you some good years of service.
as for the 4wd, i prefer the older trucks with locking hubs as well as a manual transfer case.
its nice to push a button but these trucks today have too many electrical components and often fail.

as for cab space, a regular cab is exactly that a regular cab and unless you are moving a large crew around the reg cab is ideal for plowing and maneuvering.

does the truck allready have a plow?
is it being sold from a dealer?
i have bought a lot of used trucks in my day and if your budget allows you to i would recommend buying a used truck that has never plowed and have one installed myself.
and if you do make sure you buy the right plow mounts for the truck and not go the route of custom fabrication.
plow set ups from the early 90's to the current day bolt on useing existing holes in the frame and require no modifications.
unless of course it is a dodge or meyer plow set up.

Gnella
01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
I have the same truck in a 250. It pulls trailers no problem. We plow with it not problem and even have the manual locking hubs. Only thing we don't like is the regular cab. Otherwise it's been a good truck for us.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-06-2012, 07:24 PM
The truck is capable of everything you want to do with it. I just think the price is high.

eMCeeW
01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I know the truck is in good condition, never been used as a "work" truck. The KBB value of it is $8 for trade in close to $10 for private party sale. It's in my family so I can't haggle too much. No it doesn't have a plow already.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
01-06-2012, 11:52 PM
The biggest thing you have to worry about is rust. Secondly get an extra set of manual hubs or switch to warn hubs and still get an extra set. Last winter two trucks were down for three days awaiting a set for each in the middle of the first blizzard. That was the advice given get extras and I did just that. Just in case! Good luck

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I like the manual locking hubs too. I lock em and barely ever have to switch 4wd on.

lov2mow
01-07-2012, 05:31 AM
I have been a Ford guy for 30 years, you cant go wrong with a Ford.
As far as gas vs deisel I always had deisels because I covered alot of ground. this year I bought a gas motor 350 dump and use it in a 15 mile radius. Sorry I bought gas its a dog. Pulled my trailer the other day with my other truck which is diesel and felt like the trailer was not their, also mileage was 16MPG with deisel, I only get 8 MPG with gas both trucks are 2011.

Steve
01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Last winter two trucks were down for three days awaiting a set for each in the middle of the first blizzard.

What goes wrong with those hubs?

eMCeeW
01-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I've been considering this truck the past few days as I drive it back and forth from my regular job. It's a nice truck and I can tell it hasn't seen much use. I've though alot about getting ramps and just using the bed to transport to save on trailer expense. I know I could get a 36WB in there no problem. Anybody do this or put any thought into it?

jasonw
01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
You don't need a trailer at all but my advice is if you can afford one save the trouble and get it. I started out with a Toyota station wagon and a small trailer. When I got my bronco I stopped pulling the trailer but after 15 times of lifting the mower in and out of it, I changed my mind fast. Now my truck is way to high and I used ramps to push stuff into it and or even walk up them to get into the bed. I however recently purchased a new trailer from Lowes, only cost me about $650 not including licence for a nice 5X8 and I LOVE IT!!!! I can walk up the gate, up the trailer, step over the rail right into the truck bed. It's the simple things that please me lol. I can haul my tractor, mower, field and brush mower, everything on it then back in, unhook and go fishing, no need to ever unload my truck again. Not only that but you can get in trouble fast riding up ramps into the back of a truck, Riding up a lowered gate onto a trailer is much better.

justin_time
01-10-2012, 09:18 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/justinpitre/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

dpld
01-11-2012, 06:53 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/justinpitre/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

not really, the dude was inquiring if the ford was a reliable truck and i believe he said the truck was in fantastic shape and never plowed but either way a picture is not gonna tell you if it is a reliable truck or not.

pictures lie.

mark123
01-11-2012, 07:24 AM

The most important question I can think of is do you need this truck or are you just considering it because a deal presented itself?

eMCeeW
01-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the delay, yes a picture would not do much for you guys, not a scratch on it, no sign of rust. as for needing the truck I currently drive a 2010 Jeep wrangler, it has a hitch and I could put some equipment in it but I imagine its not meant to pull equipment all day. I have what I need to get the job done but like I said I have a pretty decent truck opportunity. I am just starting this year and have no idea how fast I will grow if at all. I really appreciate every ones feedback.

eMCeeW
01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Here is a picture...4622

willshome
02-03-2012, 08:14 AM
So did you buy it?
F350 are great trucks, the suspension can handle more than it should and the brakes are over kill.
the 5.8 is bad on gas but loves to run and will pull just fine (may not be the fastest under load but will do it all day every day) and does not kill trans like the bigger engines (good if you get workers driving)
I have a 1996 bronco 5.8 plow locking hubs other than mpg love it

eMCeeW
02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Still haven't decided, I am struggling to try and start small with no debt, I could trade my jeep in and have money to spare... But I don't want to do that if my business doesn't take off. Part of me wants to jump right in and do it, part of me says be cautious. I have a 21" mower that certainly doesn't need a F350, but if business takes off it would be a fantastic starter truck. I could haul mulch, and clippings all day and pull a trailer and push a blade. I will know soon enough if I need it and I don't think it's going anywhere "family owned". How do you like plowing in a Bronco? I thought about putting a small blade on my jeep for about 10 minutes, decided not to. Haha

willshome
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
the bronco rocks for plowing it can plow driveways that longer trucks can't. it is a f250 cut by like 3 feet (turns on a dime) the down side is cant fit builk sand/salt. this is my plow/backup truck. I use my f350 for mulch and leaves. BTW I get mulch delivered if i need more than 3 yards of it. not worth running around just to save $35 (talk to the mulch guy about contactor pricing DO NOT PAY RETAIL shop around) , maybe next year i can get a dump truck.

get a trailer!!! you will hate unloading the mower and may pull your back
I would get a bigger mower, buy a used walk behind in the 30's and a backpack blower and a good trimmer