PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Free Organic Spraying

Shark1611
01-04-2012, 08:53 AM
I have looked all over the internet to find how to get set up doing this but have not had any luck. Is there a company that any of you use that I can buy product that will take care of what round-up does, MSMA, trimac, etc.:confused:

mark123
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
For an organic round up sort of solution you can use 20% vinegar. It kind of works. For a short while. Not really though.

For MSMA and trimec (triplet/three-way/etc) there is no selective organic weed killer. The best you can hope for is to thicken the turf and hope for the best.

I've had some limited success with organic treatments but only for greening and thickening the turf, not for weed control.

TiedemanLLC
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
First of all MSMA was banned a couple years due to testing in Florida. It's only available for golf courses, right of way, and sod farms. They found with their tests that it leached into the ground water but they may reconsider the ban.....maybe.

The only thing that I have used is vinegar and dish soap (the dish soap is the surfactant). But of course whenever I use those, I combine them with 2,4D, and Round-up. You will get amazing weed control for beds, right of way, parking lots, etc.

mark123
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
... they may reconsider the ban.....maybe.
They won't.
... The only thing that I have used is vinegar and dish soap (the dish soap is the surfactant). But of course whenever I use those, I combine them with 2,4D, and Round-up. You will get amazing weed control for beds, right of way, parking lots, etc.
Does vinegar add anything to roundup? I'd think the combination wouldn't control weeds as well because the vinegar desiccates the leaf tissue limiting translocation of the control chemicals to the roots. I'd like to see and A-B test on that.

TiedemanLLC
01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
They won't.

Does vinegar add anything to roundup? I'd think the combination wouldn't control weeds as well because the vinegar desiccates the leaf tissue limiting translocation of the control chemicals to the roots. I'd like to see and A-B test on that.

The whole MSMA they may bring it back. I briefly scanned the test results and actually have read some of the articles from other experts. The biggest thing that stood out to me was that the testing was skewed.

I was introduced to this spraying procedure a years ago from someone that worked for Agrium. It's basically the acetic acid in that works well on certain weeds, for example horses tail. But keep in mind, I have found that using just strictly vingear does very little to the roots. It's more of a contact pesticide compared to systemic. But I will give you a little secret...the main reason for using the vinegar is to adjust the PH level of your spraying water. Keep in mind, you can't keep this in your tank very long because it starts to break down.

Ducke
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
They won't.

Don't say never when it comes to tree huggers.
We are not allowed to buy sell or use any pesticides at all here as of last year.
once a again the industry sat on their *** till the last minute thinking oh they won't ban it and then there was a big rush to fight the tree huggers but it was to late and they won. It sucks but we are working on alternatives to pesticides.

mark123
01-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Don't say never when it comes to tree huggers. ...
I was saying the government, once they've taken control, will not relinquish it. They're convinced that the ban is "for the common good" and to undo it would be admitting they were wrong.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I was saying the government, once they've taken control, will not relinquish it. They're convinced that the ban is "for the common good" and to undo it would be admitting they were wrong.

Somewhat, sometimes there slow though. I forgot the name of the Dupoint chemical that was killing trees but the company itself took it off the market. They been replacing trees across the country since.

mark123
01-04-2012, 10:17 PM
That's Imprelis. I wish I'd have bought more before they took it of the market.

Shark1611
01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Well these are the kind of answers I was thinking I would find. I talked with a pest and week control guy the other day and he stated he is reviewed more now that he is legal than when he was doing it without his license. I guess I will continue to do the mowing and have a license person do the rest till I can find the time to study and take the class.