PDA

View Full Version : How much seed?

jasonw
01-01-2012, 01:25 AM
I am enjoying a big project, redoing my own landscaping. Every year the front and back lawns have been a pain in the but to keep nice and alive since I purchased this house 3 years ago. I have removed both lawns and now am in the process of deciding what I want exactly. I am pretty sure the front yard will never get a lawn again but I think I still want one in the back. Now normally I buy a butt load of seed, drop it in the spreader and go to work but I was just thinking, there must be a formula for the proper amount of seed to use in a predetermined area so does anyone know it? For example an area X long and Y wide would use about 10lbs of seed? Any ideas at all?

CHEESE2009
01-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I am enjoying a big project, redoing my own landscaping. Every year the front and back lawns have been a pain in the but to keep nice and alive since I purchased this house 3 years ago. I have removed both lawns and now am in the process of deciding what I want exactly. I am pretty sure the front yard will never get a lawn again but I think I still want one in the back. Now normally I buy a butt load of seed, drop it in the spreader and go to work but I was just thinking, there must be a formula for the proper amount of seed to use in a predetermined area so does anyone know it? For example an area X long and Y wide would use about 10lbs of seed? Any ideas at all?

My way is to wing it. It should say how many square feet a bag should cover, other than that I usually go seeding crazy and throw it around like I'm a grass fairy...

http://poetreecreations.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/fairy_dust.jpg
pictured above: me seeding my lawn

TiedemanLLC
01-01-2012, 11:13 AM

It's going to depend on the type of seed that you use too.

Now are both lawns completely removed (starting new) or is there already a lawn there (that will depend on the lbs of seed you put down)?

Also, instead of broadcasting, I would highly recommend doing slit seeding. You will get great results with it.

Remember that seed needs 1/4" of soil. Any deeper than that you will not get the results that you will desire.

Getting back to your question though, and I know this is a broad response without knowing all of the questions that I asked above, but normally it's around 8 to 15lbs per 1,000 sq ft.

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Now are both lawns completely removed (starting new) or is there already a lawn there (that will depend on the lbs of seed you put down)?

Also, instead of broadcasting, I would highly recommend doing slit seeding. You will get great results with it.

Remember that seed needs 1/4" of soil. Any deeper than that you will not get the results that you will desire.

Getting back to your question though, and I know this is a broad response without knowing all of the questions that I asked above, but normally it's around 8 to 15lbs per 1,000 sq ft.
Yeah it definitely depends on seed brand. Every bag will have rates to apply depending on if your seeding or overseeding.

turf&tree
01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Seeding rates will be in lbs per thousand square feet. Depending if you are doing a renovation or starting from bare soil. You can usually find seeding rates on the bag, or if you buy in bulk you should be able to go to the mfg website for the info. I use Barenbrug branded seed and all the info is on their site. I also contact the rep from time to time with questions.
Where are you that you are seeding now? It's snowing here.

jasonw
01-01-2012, 08:36 PM

The lawn will be brand news. I have already removed it and will be tilling the dirt up first as well. Sprinklers have never been installed so I will be doing that as well now.

jasonw
01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Seeding rates will be in lbs per thousand square feet. Depending if you are doing a renovation or starting from bare soil. You can usually find seeding rates on the bag, or if you buy in bulk you should be able to go to the mfg website for the info. I use Barenbrug branded seed and all the info is on their site. I also contact the rep from time to time with questions.
Where are you that you are seeding now? It's snowing here.

Oh I am not seeding anything now, this in preemptive research. I live in Northern California and while it was 70 today it is still dropping to below freezing at night. What kind of seed would you recommend for this area? Amador County California, I am at about 200-300 Feet in elevation. Freezes every winter and breaks 100 a lot in the summer but rarely ever gets snow.