PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Husqvarna vs Toro (Residential Models)

Hedgemaster
12-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I ran across what appears to be a good price on a zero turn mower and wanted some input.

I saw a brand new, Husqvarna RZ5424 (0 hours on it). I resisted the urge to buy tonight, as I am the type to research things first, and I couldn't recall what the "cheap", homeowner Toros were going for when I last looked.

I looked at my info when I got home and as it turns out the Toros cost more than I remembered. I was "this close" to buying one before, but decided to wait.

This is the one I WAS going to get:

Toro Timecutter SS4235 for $2,500
20 hp Kaw engine
42" deck
http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Zero-Turn-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=TimeCutter-SS4235-74627-74628

Now I see THIS thing on clearance...

Husqvarna RZ5424 for $1,991 (Reg price $3,600)
24 hp Kohler Courage
54" deck
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/zero-turn-mowers/rz5424-kohler/#specifications

In order to compare apples to apples, I looked at the Toro that is closer in size...

Toro Timecutter SS 5000 for $2,900
22 hp Kaw engine
50" deck
http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Zero-Turn-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=TimeCutter-SS5000
There's another Toro (SS5060) that has same features as above, but with a 24 hp Kaw engine and a few extras like armrests for $3,100.

To me, the Husky looks to be built heavier - closer to commercial grade - even though it's a homeowner series. (12 gauge as opposed to 10 on the Toro)

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend $500 MORE for the smaller of the two Toros and $900 MORE for the Toro that is almost the same size.

The ONLY advantage I can think of with the Toro is the local Toro dealership for service. I can't imagine they would turn away work if I needed the Husky repaired, but perhaps I need to contact them tomorrow to see for sure.

I don't know which engines are more desirable - the Kawasaki, or the Kohler Courage.

What say you?

Hedgemaster
12-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my wife sez "Why don't you just GET it?" after seeing the price markdown from $3,600 to $1,990.

:D

Maybe I should strike while the iron is hot? LOL!

Seriously though, if anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears.

Note that while this is not commercial grade, it would not see daily use / 8 hrs a day. Most of my lawns require 21" push mower, so this would be used (I work alone) on the few larger lawns I currently have, and would allow me to bid jobs that I wouldn't even consider due to size with my push mower.
I don't abuse my gear, so I can't see why this wouldn't hold up to a few seasons (if not more) of use until I can upgrade.

http://www.psndealer.com/powersportsdlr/images/NewVehicles/NV130072_1.jpg

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/07128982000

The kicker is that I JUST put my trailer into storage 3 days ago!!! Ugh. I think I'll pay to have it delivered if I get it.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
not bad at that price. The thing to watch for is I heard some kohler engines have plastic valves. So where did you find this deal?

Ducke
12-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I have never used one but I have heard some bad things about Husqvarna mowers.
I do believe Justin of Justin time yard service got rid of his (I think I remember him talking about it ) but I have seen quite a bit of negative press on this site and a couple of others that I hang out on.

I see Toro's every were I go it seems to be the brand of choice here in Halifax.
Toro and JD.

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

I didn't post this on ******** because I figured the hardcore lawn snobs would chase me off with torches and pitchforks for even considering a machine under $6,000. :D

I think that for the price, it would fill a need, AND allow me to look for a used walk behind as well.

picframer
12-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Husky on this side of the border has a bad rep, very poor service, there are a few decks on the ZTR's that do not cut worth a crap no matter what you do, contact Justin at Just In Time Lawn service, he is on this site and I tried to get him support from a local dealer here, that dealer has since dropped the Husky ZTR's, just too many issues.

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm heading out around 3pm. I'm just going to take a chance for once and buy it.

For $1,000 less than the comparable homeowner Toro, it's like having enough left over to buy a damned good push mower, or like I mentioned earlier - money to put toward a used commercial grade Toro wide deck walk behind.

If I hear anything horrible after purchasing that convinces me it was a bad idea, I can always return it, so please feel free to add your thoughts on the matter.

:)

ETA: Didn't see your post above before I posted. Thanks for the input.
As for "support" - I don't expect any. It's not being purchased at a dealer. (and yes, I understand the pros/cons of not buying from him)
I stopped to ask if they would service it if I had a problem and was told that the engine work isn't an issue, but "other parts" are "hard to get". Essentially, it sounded like they didn't want the hassle of ordering from another supplier, but COULD get parts if necessary. I didn't get to speak to the owner though, and the guy I did speak to is notorious for being less than helpful.

As for the "cut" - that concerns me a little, but until I hear more, I don't know what to make of it.

bruces
12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
if you go to the link you provided and read the reviews,it generally seems to be a good unit .I think I would buy it ,its cheap enough that if its too crappy,you can get it fixed under warranty and sell it to a homeowner easy enough .

justin_time
12-29-2011, 06:21 PM
:eek: I'm scared ! I used to have this mower when I worked for the town back in 2003 or 2004 and all it did, it broke down, not made for commercial use like cemetary work and stuff like that

I own a IZ model of Husqvarna and right now it's not the best. I do still have mine but next purchase I will avoid Husqvarna at all cost. Not sure, but to me in Canada takes forever to get parts

If you got anymore questions send me an e-mail info@jitys.caor just pm me

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 07:09 PM
if you go to the link you provided and read the reviews,it generally seems to be a good unit .I think I would buy it ,its cheap enough that if its too crappy,you can get it fixed under warranty and sell it to a homeowner easy enough .

Yeah, I read reviews on a few sites last night, noting that they were from residential end users, so I kept that in mind as I read.

I considered the potential to re-sell it later as well. The lowest price I could find online for a new unit was $3,000.
At just under 2 grand, I could probably sell it without losing TOO much if I decide to do so.

I went and paid for it today. I got it at a Sears Outlet store. We went there looking for a discounted dishwasher last night and on the way out I wandered over to look at the garden tractors and snowblowers that were all lined up, and that's when I saw it. I didn't even know Sears sold them - especially not a brand other than Craftsman.
I know they sell a lot of returned/used/cosmetically damaged items at the outlet, so the first thing I did was run my finger under the deck and noted that it was clean - blades were clean as well. Apparently it was a floor model and is brand new. I couldn't find a flaw on it aside from a small tear in the foam on one steering control arm. I looked online and the only other one available (from Sears) at that price is located in Texas.

Sears is currently offering an additional 5% off OR 0% financing for 12 mo. (on Sears card), so that was another "plus" and I went with the free financing. I DID opt to get the extended warranty/in-home service plan which I debated on doing because of the added cost, but I have 1 year to change my mind, so if I decide I don't think it's worth keeping, I can cancel it. If I decide to sell the mower, the extended plan is transferable, so that could be a "selling point" that not many people would offer with used equipment.

Since I just wrapped up my trailer and put it in storage, I decided it wasn't worth my time/effort to get it back out and I'm having the mower delivered next Wednesday.
The sales guy said that they have a bunch of bagger units in the back that they need to get rid of - "If I can find you one for that mower for 70% off, would you be interested?" he asked. I told him I'd kiss his feet if he can! LOL!
Crossing my fingers, but not hopeful, as odds are they are all for Craftsman tractors.

As always, photos to follow. :D

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
:eek: I'm scared ! I used to have this mower when I worked for the town back in 2003 or 2004 and all it did, it broke down, not made for commercial use like cemetary work and stuff like that

I own a IZ model of Husqvarna and right now it's not the best. I do still have mine but next purchase I will avoid Husqvarna at all cost. Not sure, but to me in Canada takes forever to get parts

If you got anymore questions send me an e-mail info@jitys.caor just pm me

Thanks. I appreciate your input and since you're the only person I know who has used THIS model, I value anything specific you have to say about it - good or bad.

As I've already mentioned here I know up front that it's not going to be built for the abuse of commercial work. Some people would laugh at the Toro Super Recycler 21" mower I'm using, because it's not a commercial mower, but it got me through my first season just fine. I view this ZTR in the same way. I had come close to buying a low end commercial Toro ZTR at the end of the summer, but $5,000 was just not in the budget yet.

Crossing my fingers. Also praying it fits in the trailer - LOL! I should have about 3-4" to spare, but I didn't feel like unwrapping the tarp to measure it.

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
And since I have a photo fetish, HERE IT IS!!!

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore007.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore009.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore008.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore006.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore005.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore004.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/HusqvarnaInStore003.jpg

And a 360 degree view if you click on the image...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/th_HusqvarnaInStore001.jpg (http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/?action=view&current=HusqvarnaInStore001.mp4)

:D I drive my wife nuts with the photo taking. The sales guy chuckled and I told him "this way, if it gets delivered with scratches, I can prove that they did it!" :D

bruces
12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
not 100% positive ,but I think that husky was made by american yard products ,who also make craftsman tractors etc .You might want to have a good look at any bagger they offer you ,it truly might be exactly the one you need for your new unit .Does sears in the us have a craftsman zero turn that looks like your husky?

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 09:28 PM
not 100% positive ,but I think that husky was made by american yard products ,who also make craftsman tractors etc .You might want to have a good look at any bagger they offer you ,it truly might be exactly the one you need for your new unit .Does sears in the us have a craftsman zero turn that looks like your husky?

Honestly, I don't know. I knew they sold wide deck walk behinds under the "Craftsman Professional" name (black and yellow), but until I saw this, I was unaware they carried ZTRs.

I'll look into it though because the bagger is listed for somewhere around $500 on the Husky website. If I can get one at a bargain price, that would be awesome.

bruces
12-29-2011, 09:50 PM
my wife sells major appliances for sears ,which model dishwasher did you get ,I can tell you if you should install it or return it .

Hedgemaster
12-29-2011, 10:41 PM
my wife sells major appliances for sears ,which model dishwasher did you get ,I can tell you if you should install it or return it .

We didn't get one yet.

PM inbound...

Hedgemaster
12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I spent half the day today trying to clear a spot in the garage for this thing. LOL!

Prior to this ZTR, I was hoping to be able to get my wife's car in the garage before winter, but it looks like she's out of luck now. :o

Ducke
12-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I spent half the day today trying to clear a spot in the garage for this thing. LOL!

Prior to this ZTR, I was hoping to be able to get my wife's car in the garage before winter, but it looks like she's out of luck now. :o

I like a man that has his priorities set right.
Mower in the heated Garage Wife out in the cold. :D

Hedgemaster
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I like a man that has his priorities set right.
Mower in the heated Garage Wife out in the cold. :D

LOL.

We had discussed building a shed (for the equipment - not for her) this summer, but money was tight and at the time I was OK with the space I had in the garage for storing my gear.
This came out of nowhere and now I'm scrambling to reorganize/throw out 20 years worth of accumulated crap in my two car garage that you can't get ONE car into! :D
Two weeks ago I cleaned it up a little, placing my mower in the back, and setting both snowblowers up front for easy access. I really need to build a storage shed this spring!

bruces
12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
I built a 10 x 10 shed this fall ,8 foot walls ,tall peaked roof , shelved to the top just for my tools and equipment as theres no room in either of my garages anymore .I havent worked out of it much yet as I finished it very late ,but it seems like it will be a good investment in the long run .

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-31-2011, 02:28 PM
I built a 10 x 10 shed this fall ,8 foot walls ,tall peaked roof , shelved to the top just for my tools and equipment as theres no room in either of my garages anymore .I havent worked out of it much yet as I finished it very late ,but it seems like it will be a good investment in the long run .

not to hijack the thread but how much did it cost you to build? I'm thinking of doing a 12x12

Hedgemaster
12-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Haha! 10x10 might hold all of our Christmas decorations! :D

I'm thinking 12'x14' or 12'x16' with a large door for ZTR on one side and maybe a man door on another side - doors = lost storage space though.

Something that size may be too expensive as a pre-built, so I may do it from scratch.

This waiting is driving me nuts. I have to wait until WEDNESDAY to get my mower!
All I have is the owner's manual and the spare key. I told my wife I want to wear it on a necklace to keep it close to me. :D
She thinks I'm retarded. :D :D

bruces
12-31-2011, 05:49 PM
I built mine from scratch ,it cost me $1000.00 to do it but I live in Canada .2X8 floor joists ,2x4 wall studs and 2x6 roof .I used 4x8 hardie board siding ,and a 36" steel man door .I still have to trim the corners , install the flooring [probably the garage floor stuff from costco ]and install the soffit and fascia but I probably wont get going on that for another month or so .
10x10 was the biggest I could build without a permit ,I can build several more if need be ,and I also have a 10x20 garage ,a 24 x 20 garage [needs to be replaced next year ] and a 36x 18 carport ,but I needed this shed to hold my plate tamper,post hole auger ,whippers ,pushmowers,chainsaws,ladders,portable air compressor ,snowblower ,sod cutter ,job box ,along with my renovation tools ,all of which were in my way in my other garages .Everything goes through the door easily ,but since I have been super busy ,it is a complete mess .

bruces
12-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I built a 12x16 for my brother-in-law a few years ago ,the materials cost a little over $2000.00 , honestly I would rather just build a single car garage [12x20]for very little more $$$

wandfsmall
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM

You are correct it is the same thing as a poulan ztr. But I do not remember off of the top of my head if they are currently making the craftsman ZTR mowers. I think MTD is now making some of them and they also have Snapper mowers rebranded so who knows who made a craftsman mower right now. It is a consumer mower but it should still outlast a consumer tractor and cut faster so good luck.

Hedgemaster
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Maybe one of you "parts guys" can help?

The salesman said they have a bunch of baggers in the warehouse that the mgr wants gone. "If I can get you one that works on that mower for 70% off, do you want one?" he asked.

If I had to guess, 99% of what they have will be for tractors and/or for CRAFTSMAN mowers in general.
I tried looking online for a bagger that works on this ZTR and so far, I'm just seeing the Husqvarna bagger (http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/accessories/product-accessories/zero-turn-mower-accessories/double-triple-bin-collection-system/).

I DID locate THIS (http://www.searsoutlet.com/9-bushel-3-Bin-Soft-Bagger-for-Husqvarna-Zero-Turn-Tractors/d/product_details.jsp?stxt=zero%20turn&md=srh_md&pn=1&ps=12&pid=10971&mode=buyUsedOnly&cid=967) on the Sears website, but it scares me that it doesn't note specific MODELS.

If anyone has any way of determining if that Sears unit works with my ZTR (http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/zero-turn-mowers/rz5424-kohler/)(RZ5424), let me know so I can tell him exactly what to look for.

It's not being delivered until Wed, so hopefully they can locate what I need and deliver it at the same time.

wandfsmall
01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe one of you "parts guys" can help?

The salesman said they have a bunch of baggers in the warehouse that the mgr wants gone. "If I can get you one that works on that mower for 70% off, do you want one?" he asked.

If I had to guess, 99% of what they have will be for tractors and/or for CRAFTSMAN mowers in general.
I tried looking online for a bagger that works on this ZTR and so far, I'm just seeing the Husqvarna bagger (http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/accessories/product-accessories/zero-turn-mower-accessories/double-triple-bin-collection-system/).

I DID locate THIS (http://www.searsoutlet.com/9-bushel-3-Bin-Soft-Bagger-for-Husqvarna-Zero-Turn-Tractors/d/product_details.jsp?stxt=zero%20turn&md=srh_md&pn=1&ps=12&pid=10971&mode=buyUsedOnly&cid=967) on the Sears website, but it scares me that it doesn't note specific MODELS.

If anyone has any way of determining if that Sears unit works with my ZTR (http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/zero-turn-mowers/rz5424-kohler/)(RZ5424), let me know so I can tell him exactly what to look for.

It's not being delivered until Wed, so hopefully they can locate what I need and deliver it at the same time.

I would need to know the bagger info from the warehouse but I would doubt that the one for a craftsman ztr would fit a husquvarna one and I know the one from a tractor will not fit your new ZTR.

Hedgemaster
01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I would need to know the bagger info from the warehouse but I would doubt that the one for a craftsman ztr would fit a husquvarna one and I know the one from a tractor will not fit your new ZTR.

I haven't called them yet (calling tomorrow) and I doubt they are going to give me model numbers for every unit they have lying around.

I'm more interested in knowing if the one I have linked in my previous post will actually fit. That way, I can ask if they have THAT unit available.

It's sold by sears and states that it's for "Husqvarna zero turn mowers", but does not get any more specific than that. I've never seen an accessory that didn't state what it actually FITS on.

It's Sears Item# 07124900000 Model# 24900

Note that someone I know on an unrelated forum tried to help - he sent me the following:

this is what you are looking for as far as I can see....I'm out of town until tuesday, if you haven;t found anything by then, let me know.

966 44 50-01
Collection System - 9 bushel 3 bin 2008 and 2009 Z and
RZ mowers (SEARS ONLY)
RZ54 and Z54 series Replaced By 966004201 $529.95

That "966004201" is teh one shown on the Husqvarna website - it's not the one that is on the Sears site. The Husky one has plastic bins - the Sears unit has soft bags.
My head is starting to hurt. This shouldn't be this difficult. LOL

wandfsmall
01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I haven't called them yet (calling tomorrow) and I doubt they are going to give me model numbers for every unit they have lying around.

I'm more interested in knowing if the one I have linked in my previous post will actually fit. That way, I can ask if they have THAT unit available.

It's sold by sears and states that it's for "Husqvarna zero turn mowers", but does not get any more specific than that. I've never seen an accessory that didn't state what it actually FITS on.

It's Sears Item# 07124900000 Model# 24900

Note that someone I know on an unrelated forum tried to help - he sent me the following:

That "966004201" is teh one shown on the Husqvarna website - it's not the one that is on the Sears site. The Husky one has plastic bins - the Sears unit has soft bags.
My head is starting to hurt. This shouldn't be this difficult. LOL

I can not find much info about that part number even though I can sell it, from what I can see it looks like it only fits the units sears sold that have the engines fully encased in plastic. So I do not think it will fit on your unit.

Hedgemaster
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I can not find much info about that part number even though I can sell it, from what I can see it looks like it only fits the units sears sold that have the engines fully encased in plastic. So I do not think it will fit on your unit.

Well, thank you anyway for taking the time to look into it. It is appreciated.

I did call regarding the availability of a discounted unit, but got the old "guy who was supposed to check isn't here today" excuse.

Oh well. At least I have a few months to research it more and see what I can come up with.

Just got the call - delivery between 7:45 and 9:45am tomorrow!!! Woo-Hoo!

Sure would have been nice if we hadn't gotten 3" of snow TODAY. Ugh.
Supposed to warm up though, so hopefully I get to try it out soon. No grass to cut, but I still wanna ride it.

Hedgemaster
01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
ZTR was delivered about an hour ago.
Pushed it off the truck and into the garage where it will sit until it warms up in a few days. It's about 10 now with snow on the ground - I'll wait. ;)

I fully expect some sort of problem, like the battery being dead or something.

Time will tell.

bruces
01-04-2012, 10:36 AM
thats not what I was expecting ,I thought at the very least you would shovell your lawn ,then cut your grass today Hedgemaster ,I am feeling a little let down right now with the complete lack of a review on your new toy .

Hedgemaster
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
thats not what I was expecting ,I thought at the very least you would shovell your lawn ,then cut your grass today Hedgemaster ,I am feeling a little let down right now with the complete lack of a review on your new toy .

LOL!

This reminds me of the motorcycle I got when I was 14.
Christmas day and there's a dirt bike with a red ribbon on it - and 2 feet of SNOW!

:mad:

Hedgemaster
01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Haha! As expected*, it won't start!

I figure it's a loose wire for something that senses that the steering arms are in neutral, or the parking brake. That, or a dead battery. I checked the fuses (2) and the seat cutoff wire is plugged in. Not sure what else I can check.

I called the warranty people and someone answered within 30 seconds. She promptly connected me to a service technician who walked me through how to check that seat shutoff connection - said they sometimes need to be unplugged and plugged back in. Didn't help.

Someone's coming to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

*Always expect the worst. You will never be disappointed. ;)

Hedgemaster
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Well, after a lot of looking and testing wires, and head scratching, the problem was discovered.

The mount for the steering control arm thingymabob is broken - the bottom part that depresses the "cutoff" switch allowing the thing to start when the arms are in the outer, locked/neutral position.

Here's the left arm mount - no problem...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart003.jpg

Here's the right arm mount...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart004.jpg

The broken piece was still in the slot and I was able to pull it out with needle nose pliers...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart005.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart006.jpg

By depressing the switch with a screwdriver, we were able to start it - sort of. It didn't want to run.

He ordered a new part for the control arm and ordered a new carb as well - just to have it handy in case it needs replaced. Said he'd make sure it was running OK when he comes back to replace the other part next Friday.

Here she sits, all alone in the clutter of my garage...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart010.jpg

Steve
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Does it look like something that could be quickly welded back together or is the metal some kind of cast that would take a weld?

wandfsmall
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Does it look like something that could be quickly welded back together or is the metal some kind of cast that would take a weld?

it is cast but it could be welded, However since it is under warranty he might as well have them fix it for free.

I hope they do not charge you for the carb, I do not often have to replace a carb on a kohler courage engine, the load bearing seem to go first.

Hedgemaster
01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah, no sense repairing a part that can be replaced for free.

When it did start, it just kept sputtering out. He put some gas down in a hole where the air filter sits and got it going, but it wouldn't stay running.

I hate to lose out on a good deal, but if things don't improve, I always have the option of returning it.

Like I have mentioned before, this is not unexpected. I expect the worst with any NEW purchase, so a "floor model" with "baggage" is hardly a shock.
I wish I could be 100% certain, but I THINK the arms were moving freely when I sat on it in the store. I'm wondering if the guys who delivered it banged that arm into something, causing the break.

It just sucks that I couldn't get it outside and try it out today. The snow has mostly melted and I need to be sure it all works properly. I can't just wait until spring to find that there's something wrong, or I decide I don't like it - I only have so long to return it. Now I have to wait until next week and hope the snow holds off.

Hedgemaster
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I was bored today, so I went down to the garage and waxed everything but the deck - I'll do that tomorrow.

:D

I was bored this evening, so I posted this.

:D :D

I'm thinking I need a name for the mower. If I attached a confederate flag and slapped some "01" decals on the sides, I could call it the General Lee!!!

Yeah... I need something to do...

:o

Ducke
01-06-2012, 08:10 PM
So how long was it home before you washed and waxed it ???
and how many times have you been caught out in the garage sitting it making motor noises. :D

wandfsmall
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
When it did start, it just kept sputtering out. He put some gas down in a hole where the air filter sits and got it going, but it wouldn't stay running.

I do not understand why it was delivered to you in this condition. First off don't they start the mower to load and unload it. 2nd the carburetor would be a repairable item a little cleaning and they are done. Again it should never have been sold in that condition. Hell I would bet that the deck has never been leveled so make sure they check that.

bruces
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
It really doesnt make sense that they didnt even try to run it to get it on the truck ,people are generally lazy ,starting it up and driving it on would be the first choice .I bet the delivery crew broke it ,OR it might of been a customer return and the previous owner broke it upon initial set-up .I have been to a few of those sears buggered-and-bent stores ,and they are filled with customer returns ,damaged items ,repaired items ,new shelf pulls etc ,so who really knows about your mower .If my wife has a customer change their mind on brand new appliances ,they automatically get sent to a buggered and bent store even if they are unopened .I personally wouldnt worry about it ,you have snow on the ground ,no grass growing for several months,and a warranty which should have your new machine running as well as it should by the time you do need it .Not sure about sears policies in the us ,but you can even buy the extended service agreement on the machine right up untill the original warranty runs out if you feel you need it or want it .

Hedgemaster
01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I do not understand why it was delivered to you in this condition. First off don't they start the mower to load and unload it. 2nd the carburetor would be a repairable item a little cleaning and they are done. Again it should never have been sold in that condition. Hell I would bet that the deck has never been leveled so make sure they check that.

Honestly, I don't know, but I'd rather they DIDN'T start it to load/unload. All I could picture was a bunch of warehouse rats playing with it as they loaded it.
I REALLY didn't want to have it delivered, but I had already put my trailer away. I honestly think that piece was broken during delivery. I looked at the pics I took in the store and while it's not a great pic, it looks to be OK there.

Hey, if he wants to replace the carb with new, who am I to argue? He didn't really say why he thought it may need replaced - maybe he was thinking it had old gas funking it up? No idea really.

I seriously doubt the deck was leveled. I'll ask about it when he comes back next Friday. I was reading about that in the owner's manual.

Hedgemaster
01-06-2012, 10:02 PM
It really doesnt make sense that they didnt even try to run it to get it on the truck ,people are generally lazy ,starting it up and driving it on would be the first choice .I bet the delivery crew broke it ,OR it might of been a customer return and the previous owner broke it upon initial set-up .I have been to a few of those sears buggered-and-bent stores ,and they are filled with customer returns ,damaged items ,repaired items ,new shelf pulls etc ,so who really knows about your mower .If my wife has a customer change their mind on brand new appliances ,they automatically get sent to a buggered and bent store even if they are unopened .I personally wouldnt worry about it ,you have snow on the ground ,no grass growing for several months,and a warranty which should have your new machine running as well as it should by the time you do need it .Not sure about sears policies in the us ,but you can even buy the extended service agreement on the machine right up untill the original warranty runs out if you feel you need it or want it .

Yeah. We got our washer, dryer, and refrigerator from a Sears Outlet (We call 'em "Scratch and Dent" stores) Each of them were new - never used. They were damaged upon delivery and returned. The refrigerator has a ding on the side facing the wall and the washer/dryer we didn't care about dents on the front - who cares?

I DID ask the guy who sold it to me if they needed the key and he said "No, they will push it onto the truck". He then said it may be a good idea to leave it "Just in case". I took the manuals/extra key - he suggested I do that so it couldn't be misplaced.

As for the warranty. I did add the 5 year, in-home protection plan. (Meaning they come to YOU) I figured I have one year to decide if I want to keep it, or cancel it.

These are some of the things to consider when deciding to buy from someone other than a dealer. I knew the pros/cons going into this, so that's why I'm not screaming and shouting. It is what it is. It's a residential mower that came at a very good price, but without fast, personal attention.
If it gets taken care of to my satisfaction, I end up with a ZTR for a thousand dollars or more less than any comparable mower I can find anywhere online.
If it doesn't get taken care of, I return it and start looking at walk behinds.

I waxed it because I'm hopeful it will be here to stay.

lov2mow
01-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Toros are nice but over priced. I bought a PZ5426FX Husqvarna in 2011 love this mower solid machine. I have had Toros and Walkers this is better.

wandfsmall
01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
These are some of the things to consider when deciding to buy from someone other than a dealer. I knew the pros/cons going into this, so that's why I'm not screaming and shouting. It is what it is. It's a residential mower that came at a very good price, but without fast, personal attention.
If it gets taken care of to my satisfaction, I end up with a ZTR for a thousand dollars or more less than any comparable mower I can find anywhere online.
If it doesn't get taken care of, I return it and start looking at walk behinds.

I understand just think they should be held to a higher standard as well. Hell I would not let most of the techs from sears change the oil in my mower let alone repair it. Most likely that is why they are changing the carb not fixing it.

dpld
01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

I didn't post this because I figured the hardcore lawn snobs would chase me off with torches and pitchforks for even considering a machine under $6,000. :D

I think that for the price, it would fill a need, AND allow me to look for a used walk behind as well.

everyone i know that bought a husky mower did not like it and quickly unloaded it.
the pictures look like a slightly ramped up homeowner machine.

and i would take the kawasaki motor over the kohler any day.

i don't want to come off like the type you mentioned above but you do get what you pay for and even though the other machines cost a lot more there is a major difference.
even when these scaled down machines appear to have some of the same parts they are not the same.

most manufacturers will make their parts to the custumers specs and will gladly make changes to their product to fullfill a large order and that way the seller of the machine can say we use kawasaki engines.

also a lot of these lower priced machines are throw away and certain parts for decks and such are hard to get and are of odd ball sizes.

in the end you got to do what you got to do and we all have budgets to work within but from my point of veiw i am doing this until the day i die and i prefer to by a higher priced machine that is designed to run all day everyday vs a machine thats is designed cut a larger property once a week, even if it means having to borrow a few sheckles to buy it.

i have a couple exmarks and 2 walkers and even though they cost a lot they serve my needs without any issues.

out of the two the walker cuts and picks up debris the best and is good on hills and i love the fact they they go out of their way to produce a made in america machine but the downfall is they use kohler engines.
the exmark is a great machine for big area's and is fast but the bagger and vacum set up make it heavey and bulky in the fall.

but each machine has its place and satisfies a particular need for my business on specific areas of the properties i service.

i would say that a walker machine is not the type of machine you would put just anyone on. it is a great durable machine but the blades are shaft driven and do not take to chopping up tree roots and rocks too much and they need care to be taken when negotiating jumping curbs.

walker is a machine the owner would use or your most trust worthy foremen.
the same can be partly said about the exmark but for the most part i could put a animal on it and he won't come limping back to the trailer because he broke it. but if he drives like madman mertz he will be tearing up a whole lot of turf.

Hedgemaster
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
everyone i know that bought a husky mower did not like it and quickly unloaded it.
the pictures look like a slightly ramped up homeowner machine.

and i would take the kawasaki motor over the kohler any day.

i don't want to come off like the type you mentioned above but you do get what you pay for and even though the other machines cost a lot more there is a major difference.
even when these scaled down machines appear to have some of the same parts they are not the same.

most manufacturers will make their parts to the custumers specs and will gladly make changes to their product to fullfill a large order and that way the seller of the machine can say we use kawasaki engines.

also a lot of these lower priced machines are throw away and certain parts for decks and such are hard to get and are of odd ball sizes.

in the end you got to do what you got to do and we all have budgets to work within but from my point of veiw i am doing this until the day i die and i prefer to by a higher priced machine that is designed to run all day everyday vs a machine thats is designed cut a larger property once a week, even if it means having to borrow a few sheckles to buy it.

i have a couple exmarks and 2 walkers and even though they cost a lot they serve my needs without any issues.

out of the two the walker cuts and picks up debris the best and is good on hills and i love the fact they they go out of their way to produce a made in america machine but the downfall is they use kohler engines.
the exmark is a great machine for big area's and is fast but the bagger and vacum set up make it heavey and bulky in the fall.

but each machine has its place and satisfies a particular need for my business on specific areas of the properties i service.

i would say that a walker machine is not the type of machine you would put just anyone on. it is a great durable machine but the blades are shaft driven and do not take to chopping up tree roots and rocks too much and they need care to be taken when negotiating jumping curbs.

walker is a machine the owner would use or your most trust worthy foremen.
the same can be partly said about the exmark but for the most part i could put a animal on it and he won't come limping back to the trailer because he broke it. but if he drives like madman mertz he will be tearing up a whole lot of turf.

a. It IS a homeowner machine. You can't get a commercial ZTR for under two grand - you can't get a similar homeowner ZTR for under three grand.

b. I do see that the Kaw is the preferred option, but there are no options when buying what's available at a discounted price.

c. Gotcha on the "parts".

d. Yep. We're all in different positions, and with a recent vet bill over $6,000, this $2,000 purchase is pushing the limits already. I'm a one man show and I don't have a lot of large properties - yet.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with your thoughts!

dpld
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
a. It IS a homeowner machine. You can't get a commercial ZTR for under two grand - you can't get a similar homeowner ZTR for under three grand.

b. I do see that the Kaw is the preferred option, but there are no options when buying what's available at a discounted price.

c. Gotcha on the "parts".

d. Yep. We're all in different positions, and with a recent vet bill over $6,000, this $2,000 purchase is pushing the limits already. I'm a one man show and I don't have a lot of large properties - yet.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with your thoughts!

i was aware of the fact that is was a homeowner machine. i am pointing out that 10 years down the road you will have spent the big money replaceing the new machines several times vs buying the real deal.

plus even if you are small it is better to have a little more punch to your operation so when more work does come along you can handle it much easier because you always have to include looking ahead.

did you ever consider a good used commercial machine? because that would be a better option then a new homeowner machine.

just a thought, good luck any way.

Hedgemaster
01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm going out of my mind. This is torture - torture I tell you!
It's just not right. Making a man look at a shiny (even shinier now that I've waxed it :D ), new toy and refuse him the opportunity to TRY IT!

FRIDAY can't come soon enough. :(

The carb kit arrived by UPS yesterday. I was surprised that it was a whole new Kohler carb. When I hear "kit" I think "parts".
Now I'm waiting for the new bracket to arrive.

I wonder if he'll let me keep the broken one. Someone earlier mentioned it may be able to be welded. Can you weld aluminum? If so, it may be handy to have as a spare.

I read through around 100 reviews on the Sears site on that mower and I think there were three people who mentioned that bracket breaking when they hit something against it. While making note that these were homeowner reviews, I was pleased to see that the vast majority were good reviews. The majority were pleased due to the time saved vs their previous tractor, but overall, I didn't note any trends of negative issues beyond what you'd expect from these sorts of reviews.

So far, the worst part is that it was 10 when it was delivered and from that day on it's been at least 40 and on the Friday when he's supposed to repair it, they are calling for 25 and snow. :mad:

bruces
01-10-2012, 11:42 PM
yes,aluminum can be welded so try to retain the old lever and get it repaired [I used to charge a dollar a minute many years ago ,I would think it should be around $20.00 or less to repair that today] .

Hedgemaster
01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Cool. The replacement part just arrived.

Two more days...

turf&tree
01-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Best advice, buy a commercial product or buy 2 of the homeowner models. They just don't last and the other kids will laugh at you.
The only homeowner stuff I buy is 21" lawnboys at home dumpo. And I buy them 2 at a time. They are half the price of Honda or exmarks 25" model.
All the big stuff is exmark all the small stuff is Stihl.

JeffK26
01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
"other boys will laugh at you"

So what? I stopped caring what other people thought of me when i was like 10 years old. Pretty silly to make that a factor in buying an expensive piece of equipment.

"But mooooom the other kids will laugh at me if i wear that Popeye shirt!"

Hedgemaster
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Eh. I understand the "buy commercial" line of thinking, but sometimes it's really NOT that important.
I'm pretty sure I've explained my reasoning for this purchase, but for those who skipped it, this ZTR isn't meant for daily use. Nobody else will be using it but ME and there isn't anything I buy that I don't take care of.

I know it's not as good as one costing three times what I paid, but that doesn't mean that one that costs $6,000 is "three times" better. Better? Yes, but for my intended purpose, it would be a waste of money - and money I do not have.

This purchase leaves me with enough wiggle room that I can pick up a used commercial grade walk behind. People may laugh at me for having a used mower though, but that's cool.

The plan is to pick up either a Toro or Exmark ZTR in the next year or so.
Considering this was my first season and I made it through using only a 21" Toro Personal Pace, I'd say I'm well ahead of where I pictured myself equipment wise at this point.

Slow and steady wins the race. ;)

wandfsmall
01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Eh. I understand the "buy commercial" line of thinking, but sometimes it's really NOT that important.
I'm pretty sure I've explained my reasoning for this purchase, but for those who skipped it, this ZTR isn't meant for daily use. Nobody else will be using it but ME and there isn't anything I buy that I don't take care of.

I know it's not as good as one costing three times what I paid, but that doesn't mean that one that costs $6,000 is "three times" better. Better? Yes, but for my intended purpose, it would be a waste of money - and money I do not have.

This purchase leaves me with enough wiggle room that I can pick up a used commercial grade walk behind. People may laugh at me for having a used mower though, but that's cool.

The plan is to pick up either a Toro or Exmark ZTR in the next year or so.
Considering this was my first season and I made it through using only a 21" Toro Personal Pace, I'd say I'm well ahead of where I pictured myself equipment wise at this point.

Slow and steady wins the race. ;)

I agree showing up with more expensive equipment looks good to the customer but I also see where going bankrupt does not help you in this goal. YES A $6000 mower in most cases is that much better then a $2000 mower, but you have to be able to pay for it. As for exmark and toro you are talking about some high priced equipment I would look at something like the Scag or Hustler as well if you have them in your area as they will be cheaper quality to quality but still top lines. As for you getting to keep the part I doubt they will let you as Husquvarna requires you to keep parts in case they want them back for 30 days.

Hedgemaster
01-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Handle mount replaced. New carb installed.

It had to be jumped, as the battery didn't have enough juice to start it, but with the new carb it started right up, and stayed running.

As luck would have it, we went from 45 degrees to 20 overnight with snow and high winds, so aside from running it out of the garage, testing to see if the steering controls work, and bringing it back inside to check that the blade control works (I have a gravel drive - not a good idea to engage blades on gravel), that's as far as I've gotten with trying it out.

Only one "issue"... It seemed to want to move slightly (forward and turning slightly to the right) when the arms were in the neutral position, I don't know if it just needs adjusted, or if there's something wrong, but it was just too friggin' cold to mess with it today.

I'm going to ask for a replacement battery. I had the service guy note that it was dead upon delivery.

Also, I do still have the broken handle mount. I didn't ask to keep it, but when he removed it and handed it to me, I set it aside, and he never asked for it back.
Should have done the same with the original carb! LOL! I don't think I'd have gotten away with doing that though.

Hoping it warms up so I can get it outside again!

justin_time
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Well, after a lot of looking and testing wires, and head scratching, the problem was discovered.

The mount for the steering control arm thingymabob is broken - the bottom part that depresses the "cutoff" switch allowing the thing to start when the arms are in the outer, locked/neutral position.

Here's the left arm mount - no problem...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart003.jpg

Here's the right arm mount...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart004.jpg

The broken piece was still in the slot and I was able to pull it out with needle nose pliers...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart005.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart006.jpg

By depressing the switch with a screwdriver, we were able to start it - sort of. It didn't want to run.

He ordered a new part for the control arm and ordered a new carb as well - just to have it handy in case it needs replaced. Said he'd make sure it was running OK when he comes back to replace the other part next Friday.

Here she sits, all alone in the clutter of my garage...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Husqvarna%20RZ5424%20ZTR/Husqvarna%20Damaged%20Part/HusqvarnaDamagedPart010.jpg

That's Husqvarna, told ya to stay away

Hedgemaster
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
That's Husqvarna, told ya to stay away

Meh. I don't think that's representative of Husqvarna so much as it's representative of a residential mower period. Lower quality parts are going to be found on any non-commercial unit.
I can't say though if any other brands use aluminum for that bracket, as I've never seen another low end ZTR in person - nor would I have been inclined to even look at that part. It seems pretty crazy to make such a part of a material that isn't required to be lightweight to work. It's crazy considering how incredibly solid the rest of the machine is made. Even the plastic "fenders" - I expected them to be flimsy, but the way they are mounted to the frame makes them solid enough for me to sit on and bounce up and down without any "flex", or "give".

I have no idea how it was actually broken, so there's no way to know how it will hold up under normal usage.

I guess I now have 30 days to decide if I'm keeping it or not.

Ducke
01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Not know any different, Could you have ordered a commercial grade handle to replace the lighter weight home owner handle????
It may have cost more but it would have been stronger (maybe).
I would look into it in case anything else goes you can replace it with the heavier part.
Just a thought.

Graham
AKA: Ducke

wandfsmall
01-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Not know any different, Could you have ordered a commercial grade handle to replace the lighter weight home owner handle????
It may have cost more but it would have been stronger (maybe).
I would look into it in case anything else goes you can replace it with the heavier part.
Just a thought.

Graham
AKA: Ducke

no they are totally different parts, they will not interchange, the design is totally different between the units.

Ducke
01-14-2012, 06:35 PM
no they are totally different parts, they will not interchange, the design is totally different between the units.

Oh well It was just a thought. would have been great if it worked .:)

wandfsmall
01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh well It was just a thought. would have been great if it worked .:)

hey it never hurts to think that way and ask. you do have parts that do interchange. A good example of this would be a kioti tractor has a few parts that will interchange with kubota that if you put the kubota part on you will have improved the quality of the tractor and will not have any more problems.

Hedgemaster
01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Today I called the manager and explained that the battery was dead upon arrival. I asked if I could just take it to my local Sears and swap it for a replacement instead of having them come back out again.
She said I could purchase one and they would deduct the purchase price from my Sears card.

I didn't feel like unbolting it (way underneath) since I was already showered and dressed to go to the store, so I just went and bought the new battery without an exchange.
It cost $15 more without the exchange, but I was just thinking... instead of returning the dead battery and getting my $15, I may keep this dead battery and just put it on a trickle charge - see if it holds a charge. That way, I get a spare battery. If Sears credits me my full purchase price, I get a free spare - if they won't pay the extra $15, I get a $15 spare battery.

justin_time
01-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Meh. I don't think that's representative of Husqvarna so much as it's representative of a residential mower period. Lower quality parts are going to be found on any non-commercial unit.
I can't say though if any other brands use aluminum for that bracket, as I've never seen another low end ZTR in person - nor would I have been inclined to even look at that part. It seems pretty crazy to make such a part of a material that isn't required to be lightweight to work. It's crazy considering how incredibly solid the rest of the machine is made. Even the plastic "fenders" - I expected them to be flimsy, but the way they are mounted to the frame makes them solid enough for me to sit on and bounce up and down without any "flex", or "give".

I have no idea how it was actually broken, so there's no way to know how it will hold up under normal usage.

Doesn't matter if it's commercial or non-commercial, mine is commercial and I've never seen so many problems with that machine. I blew 3 tranny belts last summer that made me have to push/pull my mower to my trailer and get someone to push it in. Bought an electric winch for Christmas just for that purpose so I don't have to bust my *** pulling it in the trailer

Hedgemaster
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Doesn't matter if it's commercial or non-commercial, mine is commercial and I've never seen so many problems with that machine. I blew 3 tranny belts last summer that made me have to push/pull my mower to my trailer and get someone to push it in. Bought an electric winch for Christmas just for that purpose so I don't have to bust my *** pulling it in the trailer

LOL at the winch. That sucks that you even had to consider it.

You can rag on Husky as much as you want. Maybe I will too when all is said and done.

I do the same with Dodge. I don't care what anyone says, I lived through Dodge hell for 3 years - never again.
I badmouth them every chance I get. Sometimes it's only done to rile up the "Doge boys" though - they seem to have big egos and they get all fired up when you talk smack on their POS trucks. (See how I worked some into that there? :D )

wandfsmall
01-14-2012, 10:57 PM

What model of mower do you have? Maybe I can see if any recalls or service updates might fix your problem.

justin_time
01-15-2012, 08:00 AM
What model of mower do you have? Maybe I can see if any recalls or service updates might fix your problem.

Husqvarna Commercial IZ4821

dpld
01-15-2012, 10:04 AM

i would say when one of the most used parts of a machine breaks before you even cut one lawn that there is one big red flag that should have made you turn around and walk away.
that particular design is common but none of my mowers have that design made of aluminium they are all steel.
i don't even know why that would be aluminum otherwise that it is easy to cast and light weight. but i think they accomplished making it light weight with that cheesy trans drive and the stamped steel deck and the small frame.

i know you said money is a issue and i fully understand that. but if money is tight, is the savings really gonna help you that much when your machine is down and your not makeing any money cutting grass at all or dumping a couple grand into a lawn mower that sits in the garage waiting for parts while you use a walk behind or push mower to get by.

i know it may sound easy for me to say go spend the money when my business is further established then yours but keep in mind that i started from nothing as well and before i started my business many many moons ago i was a 15 year old parentless and homeless child living in a car so when it comes to starting from scratch it don't get any more scratchier then that.

bruces
01-15-2012, 10:32 AM
i would say when one of the most used parts of a machine breaks before you even cut one lawn that there is one big red flag that should have made you turn around and walk away.
that particular design is common but none of my mowers have that design made of aluminium they are all steel.
i don't even know why that would be aluminum otherwise that it is easy to cast and light weight. but i think they accomplished making it light weight with that cheesy trans drive and the stamped steel deck and the small frame.

i know you said money is a issue and i fully understand that. but if money is tight, is the savings really gonna help you that much when your machine is down and your not makeing any money cutting grass at all or dumping a couple grand into a lawn mower that sits in the garage waiting for parts while you use a walk behind or push mower to get by.
i know it may sound easy for me to say go spend the money when my business is further established then yours but keep in mind that i started from nothing as well and before i started my business many many moons ago i was a 15 year old parentless and homeless child living in a car so when it comes to starting from scratch it don't get any more scratchier then that.

So,when you were living in your car ,what mower did you go and buy ? a cheap one or did you buy a $6000.00 one right off the hop? the o.p. has stated he knows he bought a throw away and doesnt have the cash for something better right now ,he has said many times he will not be using it a lot ,and had even said he didnt post this on lawn site so no ***-baggers will be giving him grief because he bought a non commercial machine .In your first post in this thread,you admitted you read the ***-bagger part ,too bad you never figured out it was pointed directly at the likes of you !

Hedgemaster
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
We are all in different circumstances and what's good for one may not be for someone else. Saying "spend the extra money" is easy. It's just plain stupid though for me to buy a commercial ZTR at this point - I don't have enough properties where I can USE a ZTR to justify going in debt over it.

I'm a big boy. I didn't go into this with anything but realistic expectations. :)

Today I took my backpack blower and blew the snow off my back yard. :D
Hopefully the sun will melt the rest and I can get this mower outside and actually run it.

dpld
01-15-2012, 11:50 AM
So,when you were living in your car ,what mower did you go and buy ? a cheap one or did you buy a $6000.00 one right off the hop? the o.p. has stated he knows he bought a throw away and doesnt have the cash for something better right now ,he has said many times he will not be using it a lot ,and had even said he didnt post this on lawn site so no ***-baggers will be giving him grief because he bought a non commercial machine .In your first post in this thread,you admitted you read the ***-bagger part ,too bad you never figured out it was pointed directly at the likes of you !

well, what i did was from 15 years old until i was 22 is i got my life in order and worked in the trade as a employee and i saved my money in anticipation of starting a business the right way with a business plan and cash on hand.
and yes i bought a brand new walker mower and 2 used walk behinds for my first machines because even in the beginning when i could say " i don't really need to spend the money on a machine for the amount of work i got now " line. the simple truth was i did not plan on cutting 10 lawns for long and i planned on cutting many more in the near future.

all i am trying to do is offer advice as well as show anyone who wants to listen it is not as hard as you think and there are a lot more people out there who started off with less then ideal conditions and went on to make something for themselves.

and oh yes, i had it all figured out from the first time i opened the thread but while you are too busy throwing verbal insults at people and making ignorant assumptions about people you don't even know you fail to see that the real azz- bagger is yourself as well as the dude who says he can not afford to go in debt buying a better machine for his business that can make him money but can afford to dump his only $2,000.00 on a machine that was broken when he allready bought it.
he could have put that money down on a medium grade machine and even if he had to finance it would only be looking at a 150.00 payment over a couple years.

and forgive me to say it but if you could not commit even a couple hundred dollars a month towards building your business even in the beginning then you have a lot more important things in your life you should be working on then starting a business and should just get yourself a job.

dpld
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
We are all in different circumstances and what's good for one may not be for someone else. Saying "spend the extra money" is easy. It's just plain stupid though for me to buy a commercial ZTR at this point - I don't have enough properties where I can USE a ZTR to justify going in debt over it.

I'm a big boy. I didn't go into this with anything but realistic expectations. :)

Today I took my backpack blower and blew the snow off my back yard. :D
Hopefully the sun will melt the rest and I can get this mower outside and actually run it.

its cool dude, it really is.
i am just trying to throw other perspectives at you kind of like the devils advocate.
believe me when i tell you that i am not trying to insult you or belittle you but when you want to have a discussion about something you got to expect that the discussion is going to consist of points from various perspectives.

i am also speaking from experience about these machine because i have many good freinds in the business that have went the same route and they found out that they could get by in the beginning with that smaller machine but they soon found themselves faced with the same issue a year or two down the line.
to me it's like kicking the can down the road.
these homeowner machines are designed for a life of a couple years for a big property at a average of 28 cuts per year.
you are correct that it is a throw away machine and they build them that way.
if they can get you by 2 or three years at lets say a total of 84 cuts they will be beyond the warranty and you will not be crying foul.
but the problem lies with even if you are doing 10 cuts a week you are using it 10 times more then it was designed to do.
and even if it is under warranty which warranty's are nice who wants to use it or it come down to that and what is the warranty gonna do for you when you are shut down for a week or two waiting for the parts that they never have in stock and your customers are mad at you.

but either way, i wish you the best.

JeffK26
01-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I apologize if this is off topic.

This thread is a good example of why i like Gopher.

Here guys motivate you to start up and go. I've read a lot of startup stories here about starting with residential stuff and now have a high number of clients and commercial equipment and a crew or two. You have questions they answer without making you sound like the most idiotic person to ever breath. Steve participates and asks questions to get you to think...you actually learn here. On the other hand......

It seems to me if you haven't been in the business for 20 years have 500 clients and weren't born with a lawn mower for a penis you're a low balling piece of junk and have no clue how to fart let alone run a business.

Hedge made the right choice for Hedge. As he mentioned, he's an adult, sat down and thought of all the good and bad points...thought it through, came up with an adult decision, he'll either reap the benefits of saving a couple grand, or suffer the consequences of going with lower grade equipment. It's his business, it's his livelihood, he doesn't need someone calling him an azzbagger and irresponsible for starting a business instead of getting a job.

dpld
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I apologize if this is off topic.

This thread is a good example of why i like Gopher.

Here guys motivate you to start up and go. I've read a lot of startup stories here about starting with residential stuff and now have a high number of clients and commercial equipment and a crew or two. You have questions they answer without making you sound like the most idiotic person to ever breath. Steve participates and asks questions to get you to think...you actually learn here. On the other hand......

It seems to me if you haven't been in the business for 20 years have 500 clients and weren't born with a lawn mower for a penis you're a low balling piece of junk and have no clue how to fart let alone run a business.

Hedge made the right choice for Hedge. As he mentioned, he's an adult, sat down and thought of all the good and bad points...thought it through, came up with an adult decision, he'll either reap the benefits of saving a couple grand, or suffer the consequences of going with lower grade equipment. It's his business, it's his livelihood, he doesn't need someone calling him an azzbagger and irresponsible for starting a business instead of getting a job.

well you need to go back and re- read things because i was not the one hurling insults i was the one responding to one.

and yes hedge made the right choice for himself and i wished him nothing but the best, so whats your point? is'nt it better to have different perspectives to consider?.
and only you implied that anyone with a established business is all high and mighty, is this not a professional landscape forum? or is it a home owner garden club?
or is this some type of class warfare between established companies and new start ups?

and you know what, give me a break on the working class hero crap because i been at this a long time and worked my tail off as well as earned everything i got and i am still on the job all day every day and just like you i started from nothing.

when i entered into this thread i was joining in on the commercial vs non commercial debate not anyones particular finacial situation and when a point was made in response to me i obliged with a counter point, thats what a discussion is.

i don't know about you but i listen to everyone and especially people that have had success and thats how i had good fortune and i know there are a lot of guys here at gopher that are just starting out and that is how they will learn and one day be successful themselves.
my point is a lot of guys on here still have many large decisions to make in the years to come that will determine if they succeed or not.
the only advantage i have is i am older and been doing it a long time and started earlier and i have made my share of mistakes and we all have and will continue to do so but i have survived and my fate as a business owner has allready been determined where as a lot of folks on here it's " yet to be determined " and with that said i feel i have a lot to offer.

wandfsmall
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Husqvarna Commercial IZ4821

I did not see any factory directed changes that would help you. I do not much experience on a Husquvarna IZ mower personally as I mainly work on what I sell and we do not have a Husquvarna dealer to speak of for miles away from here. I only see the homeowner stuff from the box store here. If you want we can start a thread and I can try to help you find a solution to this that might help you from breaking as many belts.