PDA

View Full Version : The future of your business

TiedemanLLC
12-28-2011, 06:06 AM
I am just curious, but have any of you lately put down short or long term goals for your business or yourself? What is the future of your business?

Such as, do you plan on running the business forever, sell it, or give it to your children?

Or are you using the business for more of a jumping off point to something larger in scale? Perhaps starting a totally different business or going to work for someone else?

I am always curious what everyone's goals are and how you plan on getting there.

Ducke
12-28-2011, 08:14 AM
I am just curious, but have any of you lately put down short or long term goals for your business or yourself? What is the future of your business?

Such as, do you plan on running the business forever, sell it, or give it to your children?

Or are you using the business for more of a jumping off point to something larger in scale? Perhaps starting a totally different business or going to work for someone else?

I am always curious what everyone's goals are and how you plan on getting there.

this is a great topic and a very timely one too.
I have been sitting here trying to draw up a budget for 2012 and beyond.
When I started Ducke's this time last year I had no idea other then I wanted to work for myself doing something I love to do. But after the one year I am now starting to look at the long term, I would like to see my company grow but I really don't want to see it grow to big. I would like to keep it at a one or two man crew. I just find it easier to adapt to change being small. I came from a international company that was very frustrating to work for as they were like a big bulky bus trying to go 4x4ing in a small mud bog.
As of today I see Ducke's being me again this year along with my wife when I need a hand and then depending on how it goes next year or the following i would like to hire my 16 year old nephew or someone else to come work with us and then that should get us to year five were the whole thing will have to be reevaluated for the next 10 years.

marks500
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I am Actually trying to figure out my plans for 2012 right now.. It's stressing me out! Spring will be here before we know it! So much to do and so little time!!

TiedemanLLC
12-28-2011, 10:44 AM
this is a great topic and a very timely one too.
I have been sitting here trying to draw up a budget for 2012 and beyond.
When I started Ducke's this time last year I had no idea other then I wanted to work for myself doing something I love to do. But after the one year I am now starting to look at the long term, I would like to see my company grow but I really don't want to see it grow to big. I would like to keep it at a one or two man crew. I just find it easier to adapt to change being small. I came from a international company that was very frustrating to work for as they were like a big bulky bus trying to go 4x4ing in a small mud bog.
As of today I see Ducke's being me again this year along with my wife when I need a hand and then depending on how it goes next year or the following i would like to hire my 16 year old nephew or someone else to come work with us and then that should get us to year five were the whole thing will have to be reevaluated for the next 10 years.

Thats great that you are thinking about it though.

I am in the process of whether to sell part or all of the business. Don't know yet. My wife and I have been talking about it for a little over a year now, and we have giving us a deadline of May to decide how many years we are still going to do this, and whether we are going to sell off some of it.

CHEESE2009
12-29-2011, 04:49 AM
I have always wanted to build my own brand, and eventually have a second department for doing subcontracted work.

"The company companies go to".

Kind of like 'plan b' for other companies, hiring from a reliable source. It'll take some time, but it's long term. Hopefully it will create plenty of new jobs. (I really want to take over the world)

My short term goal is to continue building my current brand and trying to create a system that keeps things friendly, yet productive. I'll try anything at least once, so that I can see what works best.

I do know how each position should be played out, but one person doing everything is not the way to go and only creates problems the bigger you get. I will most likely get a receptionist next year, I am looking forward to it. Preferably I would rather for them to be more useful per dollar, maybe maintain the equipment every so often and post advertisements on websites daily, etc. I would love that job, but right now I can't find anyone with my drive to provide quality work to replace me.

My problem is not being able to rely on people when I'm not present. I need to inspect everything and be hands on all the time, or else I just can't sleep at night. It's great if you think about it, but it's just more of my own time I'm spending. Hopefully some impressive individual will come along!

Even more into the future, I would be interested in buying out other companies, regardless if they relate to lawn care, etc. I would like to have a piece of every pie.

Great topic!

Steve
12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
I am in the process of whether to sell part or all of the business.

What would you like to do next?

I would be interested in buying out other companies, regardless if they relate to lawn care, etc.

What other kinds of businesses would interest you?

CHEESE2009
12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
What other kinds of businesses would interest you?

Something that I kept in the back of my mind before starting a business, is that you (the owner) do not need to know everything in order to provide a service.

I would like to turn my company into a source for anything I can get my hands on. Just thinking about all the guys out there who can benefit from my company, who are doing the following (to start);

Advertisers (important/key to success?)
Window Repairs
Minor electrician work
Minor plumbing work
Pool Maintenance
Computer Maintenance (why not?)

The list goes on!

I would have to have a steady and constant workflow, so that my employees will realize they are better off with my company than on their own. Advertising will play a huge role, because if I can't get the work they have no reason to stay with me. Big investment for sure!

If I do offer a vast selection of services, my clients could eventually buy into a membership card that caters to their specific needs.

TiedemanLLC
12-29-2011, 07:59 PM
What would you like to do next?

I have actually thought about going into consulting.

The other thing is even become a grounds keeper for a private estate. There is a private hunting job up here that I have thought about approaching them to be their care taker. I do work for them now and then (mending fences, snow plowing, trail camera maintenance, blind maintenance, transplanting trees, cutting down of trees, etc), and I really enjoy it.

Steve
12-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I have actually thought about going into consulting.

What kind of consulting would interest you?

The other thing is even become a grounds keeper for a private estate.

What's your view on why you feel you would like that more than what you are doing now?

If I do offer a vast selection of services, my clients could eventually buy into a membership card that caters to their specific needs.

Could you explain this more?

TiedemanLLC
12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
What kind of consulting would interest you?

What's your view on why you feel you would like that more than what you are doing now?

Kaizen has always been a huge interest for me with consulting. Besides that, also almost a type of frugal consulting.

The reason that I would like the private work is because I am always on the same property all the time. I see whether a disease is going to break out, I notice problems in the lawn and landscape, I don't have to deal with multiple clients and multiple complaints, and my marketing budget would be zero. I wouldn't have to market any longer. My costs would be very little. Can you imagine, not having to ever advertise again, chase down past due accounts, or do site visits with calls backs? Stress free

Steve
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Would it be possible to find such a client and ultimately only have one customer to service like that? Or do you feel you would need to find a property that is looking to hire a full time grounds keeper?

TiedemanLLC
01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Would it be possible to find such a client and ultimately only have one customer to service like that? Or do you feel you would need to find a property that is looking to hire a full time grounds keeper?

It's actually funny that you say something like this. I have been doing research on this topic for the last few years. This is what I have been kicking around lately, something way out there, but possible.

1. Have a small group of clients that setup a type of business of where I am the maintenance personel.

2. The clients pay into a bank account every month of where I receive a pay check.

3. The clients also help pay for my retirement, health insurance, and benefits.

4. The clients more or less have a private gardener all to themselves. They cover all costs, and I don't have to worry about anything.

But of course, there are several cons to this too.

Steve
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
But of course, there are several cons to this too.

What's your view as to the cons of it?

TiedemanLLC
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
What's your view as to the cons of it?

You would first have get the clients agree to a long term contract. Some clients more request more work than others so you would have to adjust their payments accordingly. What happens if they decided to remove you and replace you with someone else. What happens if one or two clients leave the group, since it is already small you would have to quickly replace them for fear of losing that income. Justify certain costs to the clients for equipment and other things.

I know there are probably lots of other things right now that I can't think of

Steve
01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
You hit on some other very important points too.

3. The clients also help pay for my retirement, health insurance, and benefits.

What is your view on the percentage of lawn care business owners that are including these costs in their bid prices? What should they be doing to prepare for retirement? Also what kinds of benefits should they be thinking of?

TiedemanLLC
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
You hit on some other very important points too.

What is your view on the percentage of lawn care business owners that are including these costs in their bid prices? What should they be doing to prepare for retirement? Also what kinds of benefits should they be thinking of?

I personally don't think they are really considering them in their prices. It's really hard to so what everyone thinks is best for retirement. The biggest thing that I imagine a lot in the green industry lack is some type of health insurance and/or retirement plan.