PDA

View Full Version : Management Companies

ataboyj
12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Is there a management company that give out the lawncare for fast food? What are some maagement that are out there???

CHEESE2009
12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Do you mean like doing the lawn maintenance for a franchise like McDonalds?

If so, you would most likely have to contact the owner of the building, or even their head office. It seems to be different depending on where you are. Ronald refuses to make an appointment with me for more information, he says I look like a clown.

McDonalds seem to handle things through the store owner, but Burger King from my experience/conversation you will have to speak to someone higher up.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I say why bother with fast food joints. There cheap, slow to pay, have high expectations and low budgets. Go after shopping plazas. One small mall will pay the same as 5 fast food places.

TiedemanLLC
12-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I have had hit or miss results with fast food results in the past.

Sometimes you can deal with the manager directly, while other times the owner of the fast food joints do the hiring. When I have had good results, is when I have dealt with the manager. When I have had bad results, in which the owner takes over the maintenance hiring from the manager.

Normally when the owner takes over the hiring he/she will hire one company to maintain all of their properties.

Steve
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Don't alot of these fast food restaurants have an owner who owns multiple sites? Then don't they usually want a bid on all the sites at once? Even ones that might be out of your service area?

TiedemanLLC
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Don't alot of these fast food restaurants have an owner who owns multiple sites? Then don't they usually want a bid on all the sites at once? Even ones that might be out of your service area?

Yes, like I mentioned above, when the owner takes over, its a nightmare. I know of companies that come to service the local McDonalds that drive 1 1/2 hrs away to just service this one.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I bid per push snow removal on 8 coffee shops. I didnt get it and was told I was $20 higher per store then the guy whos truck kept breaking down last year.

This is why I dont like dealing with them. They wont pay a extra $20 for quality.

TiedemanLLC
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I bid per push snow removal on 8 coffee shops. I didnt get it and was told I was $20 higher per store then the guy whos truck kept breaking down last year.

This is why I dont like dealing with them. They wont pay a extra $20 for quality.

It's funny that you mentioned this, because I read an article in one of the large trade magazines this past year how clients may start to settle on sub par services if they are cheaper. Just crazy

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-22-2011, 03:46 PM
It's funny that you mentioned this, because I read an article in one of the large trade magazines this past year how clients may start to settle on sub par services if they are cheaper. Just crazy

It really is, I guess they can bribe another contractor with free coffee when the guy doesnt show.

Steve
12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
They wont pay a extra $20 for quality.

To put that $20 into perspective, how much do you think that company was charging

Furthermore, it would have been great if you left it open to them to call you when their chosen contractor was broken down.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-23-2011, 03:40 PM
To put that $20 into perspective, how much do you think that company was charging

Furthermore, it would have been great if you left it open to them to call you when their chosen contractor was broken down.

I would say going by my bid they were charging $70-80 per push. Sure $20 times 8 stores adds up but they knew they werent getting quality for that price. The other factor is sometimes they lie to try to save a few pennies. Either way its not the type of client I want to deal with. I worked for this places when I was a kid and they make $3-$5k a day.

I did leave it open but if they called now I couldnt service them. If I did it would be at a higher price.

Steve
12-24-2011, 01:17 PM

I bet if you included in your marketing how a sloppy plowing job (with an actually example(s) can lead to lawsuits from customers who are injured, it might get them thinking. Maybe.

TiedemanLLC
12-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I bet if you included in your marketing how a sloppy plowing job (with an actually example(s) can lead to lawsuits from customers who are injured, it might get them thinking. Maybe.

I know what you mean.

It was interesting article though, I think it was by John Allin if I remember correctly (I could be wrong).

The article talked about a lot of people anymore just want a driveway plow or the grass cut, they don't care about the quality of the work, just as long as it's done. And they are willing to pay a lower price for service if it is "just mowed" or "just plowed".

Steve
12-26-2011, 05:50 PM
How does Michigan handle slip and fall liability due from sloppy snow plowing of commercial properties? Do business owners have liability insurance to protect themselves from it? Also do you find the owners of commercial establishments are on watchful of the snow removal jobs they get or do they not care?

nnyparts
01-01-2012, 04:43 AM
In Upstate NY...it is required by the snow plowing outfit to carry a large liability insurance policy. You the contractor are responsible for any accidents in said parking lot.

TiedemanLLC
01-01-2012, 11:01 AM
How does Michigan handle slip and fall liability due from sloppy snow plowing of commercial properties? Do business owners have liability insurance to protect themselves from it? Also do you find the owners of commercial establishments are on watchful of the snow removal jobs they get or do they not care?

Yes, we have liability insurance for it, but in regards to slip and fall lawsuits, I have heard do many different stories and ways to do it. But then I hear about stories that say the opposite for example.

1. You can waive any liability by pushing a contract that puts it back on the business. But I have always read stories in the newspapers where the judge has over ruled the contract saying that it's the contractors responsbility no matter what, even if it's written down in a contract.

2. I know of one local business where the judge threw out the case of slip and fall because the "consumer" that visited the store needs to realize that it's winter, and there will be snow and ice so there is nothing the store can do about mother nature. If the consumer didn't want to deal with the snow and ice then he should have stayed at home.

No in regards to my local businesses here we only maintain two commerical accounts. But those two are always worried about there sidewalks more so that there parking lot. The sidewalks have a zero tolerance for snow, while the parking lot is a 2 inch trigger.

turf&tree
01-01-2012, 08:19 PM
This thread really strayed from the original question. I would agree with Steve that the fast food places and such are usually franchises so you would deal with the franchisee. I don't chase that type of business because of the hassles of
1) they always go for the cheapest bid
2) you usually have to do them when there is customer traffic, so increased liability and pain in the butt trying to park a truck and trailer.
3) most times you are going to various cities to service that customer.
In regards to customers taking cheaper bids and not caring about quality, I disagree! Lately I have been selling jobs based on the fact that people are getting such crappy service they are just fed up. I heard that at least 6 times this week. I have 10 apartment complexes owned by the same person. She hired me based on the service I gave her when I worked for my last employer who had her accounts. I was more expensive and will raise her prices a little this year, but she already wants to sign contracts and usually pays within 10 days of billing. Outside of that I only take residential. I love spending time with my customers educating them. I had a lady on her knees this year looking for chinch bugs with me. I love these people!

ataboyj
01-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Well what about just get more commerical jobs. How do you go about getting more commerical jobs? We have commerical jobs over the years but they mainly found us. We also work with a management comany with a bank. Was wondering if there more magagement services company out there?

Steve
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
How do you go about getting more commerical jobs?

You gotta figure there are a handful of commercial realtors or management companies in your area. Why not keep your eyes open for contact information whenever you see a commercial property for sale or for lease and call them up to get a contact person? Then get in touch with that contract person to offer your services?