PDA

View Full Version : Hows everyone doin?

CAPTWILL30
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Well as everyone can see my name is Will........lol

Well I got the idea to start a Lawn Care business when i was tired of cutting my own lawn and was even more tired of paying someone else to do it.

I actually just bought my domain and after the 1st of the year I will be applying for my business liscence through the state of VA.

I currently reside in the Hampton Roads Area of VA I am still on active duty but will be getting out around this time next year so I wanted to try and build a strong business base as this will be my sole income when I get out.

I actually have been window shopping on what kind of rig to buy wether to go BIG or start little and work my way up.

The delema is buy an enclosed trailer and a good 0 turn and and good walk behind and the rest of what I will need or to buy a small single axel open trailer with a inexpensive 0 turn and walk behind?

What are the pro's opinion's?

Well thanks for any imput as this will help in my decision.

CAPTWILL30
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Well I guess everyone either too busy blowin leaves or plowin snow so I understand when y'all get a min a reply would be nice lol

wandfsmall
12-16-2011, 10:06 AM
your first few years in business suck for the most part in any business you enter into. For one thing your client base is just starting out, for another you have equipment you have to buy and pay for. I suggest having as little in debt as you can so you can last to the good part of owning a business.

Now that being said, make smart decisions as to your equipment, for example if you can not do your repairs yourself buy from a servicing dealer so that you do not have to wait all summer for repairs. And really look at the prices sometimes $50 will go from a consumer trimmer to a commercial one(well worth it)

Sprinkler Buddy
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I would start small and keep your cost down as much as possible. Grow the equipment as the business grows. Good Luck and thanks for your service. Semper-Fi

Shark1611
12-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Well as everyone can see my name is Will........lol

Well I got the idea to start a Lawn Care business when i was tired of cutting my own lawn and was even more tired of paying someone else to do it.

I actually just bought my domain and after the 1st of the year I will be applying for my business liscence through the state of VA.

I currently reside in the Hampton Roads Area of VA I am still on active duty but will be getting out around this time next year so I wanted to try and build a strong business base as this will be my sole income when I get out.

I actually have been window shopping on what kind of rig to buy wether to go BIG or start little and work my way up.

The delema is buy an enclosed trailer and a good 0 turn and and good walk behind and the rest of what I will need or to buy a small single axel open trailer with a inexpensive 0 turn and walk behind?

What are the pro's opinion's?

Well thanks for any imput as this will help in my decision.

I have an enclosed trailer and flat out love it. I have everything I need in it and it is out of the weather making my equipment look much better. I have a 60" Dixon mower and a 44" Dixon mower, a 21" Exmark, and all my trimmers an blowers are Redmax. I pull these with a F250 and also have a open trailer that I use for tree and brush cleaning. I guess it's up to how much money you have and how you feel your business will grow. I have a wrap around my trailer and everyone in the area knows who we are.

Steve
12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Where will you park your trailer and equipment? Can you back it into a garage? If so, you could use an open trailer and not have to remove everything each night.

An enclosed trailer is good for security purposes.

All in all though, I always feel it is better to start small and scale up as needed. Don't spend cash until you absolutely need too.

Ground Troops, LLC
12-16-2011, 10:23 PM
So my opinion is a little different here. If you got the cash, get set up right. My suggestion for a one truck company doing residential work would be:
- Obviously a truck. Something with an E-Z Dumper in it if possible.
- 8x18 or 8x20 enclosed trailer.
- 52" Hydro Walk Behind
- (2) 48" Hydro Walk Behind
- 32" Hydro Walk Behind
Trimmers, blowers, blah blah...
Just one guys opinion...

CAPTWILL30
12-24-2011, 11:15 PM
your first few years in business suck for the most part in any business you enter into. For one thing your client base is just starting out, for another you have equipment you have to buy and pay for. I suggest having as little in debt as you can so you can last to the good part of owning a business.

Now that being said, make smart decisions as to your equipment, for example if you can not do your repairs yourself buy from a servicing dealer so that you do not have to wait all summer for repairs. And really look at the prices sometimes $50 will go from a consumer trimmer to a commercial one(well worth it)

Yeah I had a business in Chicago when I was stationed there and believe me thhe first 2 years were miserable then about 2 1/2 to 3 years in I dident want to leave because I was makin great $$$ but I had to go.

Yeah I plan on doin what I can by myself (kinda mechanically inclined) and i was goin all new no used and thats where im hung up lol what to buy.

CAPTWILL30
12-24-2011, 11:17 PM
I would start small and keep your cost down as much as possible. Grow the equipment as the business grows. Good Luck and thanks for your service. Semper-Fi

Thats what my neighbor said who runs a small company and im kinda leaning towards that but i really want an enclosed trailer but then I thought when it comes to brush removal it will be a bear to load into a enclosed so I might just go the small and go big route.

(Navy Pride)

CAPTWILL30
12-24-2011, 11:22 PM
I have an enclosed trailer and flat out love it. I have everything I need in it and it is out of the weather making my equipment look much better. I have a 60" Dixon mower and a 44" Dixon mower, a 21" Exmark, and all my trimmers an blowers are Redmax. I pull these with a F250 and also have a open trailer that I use for tree and brush cleaning. I guess it's up to how much money you have and how you feel your business will grow. I have a wrap around my trailer and everyone in the area knows who we are.

See thats how I feel I was goin to go Enclosed and its like a rolling billboard but like I said brush wont go well with a enclosed lol but I drive a 09 GMC Dually so I had planned to get an enclosed to go with the truck to look like a 1st class operation!!

Im gettin a 33 walk behind and was thinkin bout a 48 0 turn and I will be running all Echo power tools.

The thing thats on my mind is that I want to look like Brickman or one of this other big companies to think the costumer base might grow a lil faster!

CAPTWILL30
12-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Where will you park your trailer and equipment? Can you back it into a garage? If so, you could use an open trailer and not have to remove everything each night.

An enclosed trailer is good for security purposes.

All in all though, I always feel it is better to start small and scale up as needed. Don't spend cash until you absolutely need too.

I have a garage but I wasn't planning on disconnecting the rig but if i really needed to I could put it into the garage.

Yeah it seems with a enclosed you can park it and forget about it lol but thats what I am leaning towards just go small and work it up especially being that my truck payment is $785 a month and i gotta make that every month regardless.

CAPTWILL30
12-24-2011, 11:35 PM
So my opinion is a little different here. If you got the cash, get set up right. My suggestion for a one truck company doing residential work would be:
- Obviously a truck. Something with an E-Z Dumper in it if possible.
- 8x18 or 8x20 enclosed trailer.
- 52" Hydro Walk Behind
- (2) 48" Hydro Walk Behind
- 32" Hydro Walk Behind
Trimmers, blowers, blah blah...
Just one guys opinion...

Wow you must think im a O-10 or something to afford all that lmao

Not to put out 2 much info I have close to 10k to invest if I really needed to.

But it all depends I think I might spend about 5 or 6 and keep the rest in the bank as a cushion and see if I really do like this!

Shark1611
12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
See thats how I feel I was goin to go Enclosed and its like a rolling billboard but like I said brush wont go well with a enclosed lol but I drive a 09 GMC Dually so I had planned to get an enclosed to go with the truck to look like a 1st class operation!!

Im gettin a 33 walk behind and was thinkin bout a 48 0 turn and I will be running all Echo power tools.

The thing thats on my mind is that I want to look like Brickman or one of this other big companies to think the costumer base might grow a lil faster!

I also have a brush trailer but flat out love my enclosed trailer. I am looking at adding a 33 walk behind that will fit in my trailer. I'm very small but for me this set up has paid off.

CAPTWILL30
01-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I also have a brush trailer but flat out love my enclosed trailer. I am looking at adding a 33 walk behind that will fit in my trailer.

I'm very small but for me this set up has paid off. Thats the plan the leaf trailer but imma get my enclosed but nobody will know about it!!!!

Shark1611
01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm very small but for me this set up has paid off. Thats the plan the leaf trailer but imma get my enclosed but nobody will know about it!!!!

Another thing I like about th enclosed is that there has been a number of times where I have had to close the door, grab a bucket and take a pee. Keeps me from having to load up and take time off my work!!

NorCalPropertyServices
01-20-2012, 09:33 PM
The advice I can give you is what ever size trailer you think will be adequate when you start, I would suggest you go a size bigger or two. For example I started of with a 5x10 trailer and quickly outgrew it. It all depends on how fast you grow. I have an enclosed trailer that is a 6x14 now and have no problem putting in brush and clean ups in it. I also have a 7x18 open for really big clean ups. I prefer the enclosed trailer for so many reasons... Security and the mobile billboard it is.