PDA

View Full Version : Best marketing approach of winter for lanw care services ??

SageDesignLM
12-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a little advice on marketing over the winter season to have contracts in place to start servicing next spring. I have been in the landscape design business for several years and now want/need to expand my services to make this a viable "full-time" occupation. I have set a goal of having twenty new lawn/garden maintenance contracts in place by mid to end of March 2012 and would like some suggestion on how to get there. What is the best marketing approach for the next 3 1/2 months? Door-to-door, post cards, door hangers, newspaper, flyers, all the above??? Is this even possible over the off-season for someone offering this as a new service? The end of April is my "line in the sand" to determine if I can make a go of it full-time of just continue in the design area part-time. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rod

stevef1201
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Try and remember some important things about people. People will not respond to one, two or even three advertisments. I have found that putting out flyers dor to door, takes at least 4 times. Advertising in a newspaper takes at least 6 times. Even then they will only notice it, and not take action untillthey have a need. Keep advertising, plan on putting door hangers out in the same place several times. Put door hangers on the neighbor hood doors each time you service an existing custome. Building this business is slow, Be fair in you service, charge a fair price, and you will grow.

My first year was 7 customers, second was 35, looking for 50 next year.

The Cleaning Doctor
12-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Work on your web site and ranking now as that takes time and by spring you should be at or near the top of the list.

TiedemanLLC
12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
All of the advice general was very good and very important. You have to constantly be putting your name out, trying different medias. Do some research on your demographics first though. Find out who your clients are. Then do some research with test marketing pieces, Believe it or not different colors, shapes, wording, etc on the same marketing material can made a word of difference. Make sure to track that information.

Now given your situation, I personally would do two things right now 1) ask you current clients for referrals. This is a low cost way to gain more clients. 2) Market only in the neighborhoods that you are currently servicing. By pin pointing in one particular area you are making your marketing more effective and not just throwing out darts hoping one will hit at the dart board. And in the long run the more clients you gain in the same neighborhood, the less it will cost you in windshield time.

Steve
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Another thing to consider is, what services can you offer over the winter to stay in front of your customers so when their grass starts growing in the spring, you are already there and ready to cut it.

Here is a blog article I made about that which can help.

Winter services your lawn care business can offer (http://lawnchat.com/?p=2769).

It gets you thinking how you can expand outwards and reach more people all year long.

What is the best marketing approach for the next 3 1/2 months? Door-to-door, post cards, door hangers, newspaper, flyers, all the above???

Any of these can work but the thing is, you gotta be there when they are ready to buy. That is why you hear so often to keep marketing to the same group.

But as Troy said, the best low dollar approach is asking for referrals. Marketing to your social network and sell to those you know.

Does this help so far?