PDA

View Full Version : hello... again...

Ground Troops, LLC
12-09-2011, 10:37 PM
So, after a three year hiatus, I am back. Let me explain. I owned a company in South Jersey, All Aspects. We ran a successful business for about 12 years. I had a competitor locally, a bit larger, offer me a buy out. After lengthy discussions with wifey, we both agreed that maybe this change would be a good one. With two little ones, a steady paycheck and no worries sounded good... boy was I wrong. Needless to say, things didnt work out, however, I learned alot about what held me back the first go round. Just appreciate what you have now, as the grass is not always greener! Now I work for my wife!! :)

Steve
12-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Welcome back!

WOW! I was wondering what was going on!

Give us the low down on this whole process. What did you like or not like about selling your company to another company and working for them? How did all that change effect you and if you could do it all over again, what would you do differently?

I bet there are many members who wish they could do this, but here you have done it and you have thoughts on why it may not be such a good idea!

Ground Troops, LLC
12-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Well, the company who purchased my company, sought me out for about 18 months. Many mentions of coming to work for them. Finally, they called my three times in one week! They basically didn't care about my clients, they wanted me. So I came up with a list of "demands," and overpriced my client list and equipment. Negotiations took place, and I got most of what I wanted / needed. (the backstory is that my wife was running my office, taking care of two little ones, 2 and 4 yr olds. She was really stressed and I was kinda burnt out.) Anyways...so, we made the deal.... large salary, benefits, the promises of "not being a slave to the time clock."... blah blah
So the first few months was mostly comprised of me thinking "did I make a huge mistake?"
Then reality set in.. I did. I was forced to miss my daughters birthday due to a crew break down, and no body else around to get to them.
A lot of the promises that were made to me, either never came to be, or were just simply broken.
I have to say, I did learn a lot, i mean, a lot about commercial bidding, scheduling, and communication. So it wasnt a complete loss.
So now, I'll be looking to join my wife's new company come spring.

My advice for anyone thinking about giving it up... Really, really think about it.... the grass isn't always greener. Find the right company that you will fit in to.. see how their daily operations are. Get everything in writing. And learn to expand you horizons, not meaning expand you business, rather, find a few hobbies and make time for yourself. If you do that, you may not burn out of have the thought of giving it up.

If anyone thinking this way has a question, or needs someone to talk to, feel free to PM me... Ill give you my cell.

Steve
12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I think this is a very important discussion that others will learn from and hopefully not repeat.

A lot of the promises that were made to me, either never came to be, or were just simply broken.

Can you talk a little about what kinds of promises were made that weren't covered in the contract that never came to be or were broken? This will help others give them a heads up as to what they need to look out for.

the backstory is that my wife was running my office, taking care of two little ones, 2 and 4 yr olds. She was really stressed and I was kinda burnt out.

For those that have a wife working with them, o you have any advice as how to make the whole thing work? Or is it better to not have them work with you?

CAPTWILL30
12-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Kinda the same thing happened when I sold my last business in chicago it has went to $hit and I don't care because I got my $$$$ lol well I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Steve
12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Kinda the same thing happened when I sold my last business in chicago it has went to $hit and I don't care because I got my $$$$ lol well I wish you the best of luck!!!!

What was your thoughts on the process of selling your business? When would you or wouldn't you recommend it and would you do it again?