PDA

View Full Version : jd160

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I was doing a gutter cleaning and the next door neighbor had a john deere 160 by the curb. I asked him if it was for sale and he said $150. It needed a spindle for the deck but it started fine. I debated on whether I should buy it or not and he said $100. At this point I couldnt refuse. Problem not enough room in my truck. Not sure if I should take the 40 mile round trip to pick it up or not? I really dont need it. I have ztrs and wbs already.

wandfsmall
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I was doing a gutter cleaning and the next door neighbor had a john deere 160 by the curb. I asked him if it was for sale and he said $150. It needed a spindle for the deck but it started fine. I debated on whether I should buy it or not and he said $100. At this point I couldnt refuse. Problem not enough room in my truck. Not sure if I should take the 40 mile round trip to pick it up or not? I really dont need it. I have ztrs and wbs already.

depends on how busy you are, you can most likely make enough to cover your time to pick it up even after the cost of the spindle.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
depends on how busy you are, you can most likely make enough to cover your time to pick it up even after the cost of the spindle.

I thought the same. I see them selling for $500 easily. I have the same 460v engine in two of my other mowers. So even for parts its worth it. The other problem I forgot to mention was I had no ramps with me. I couldve fit it if I had a a few 2x8s.

Do you have the spindle in stock? I might go back sunday if its still there.

Steve
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I had to look that one up.

http://proxabid.us/AuctionImages/3456/30156/Detail/860.jpg

Now if you fixed it up, could you use it for your daily mowings?

Even for parts, if this mower runs, for $100, it's nice being able to take parts off the engine when you are in a time crunch.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I had to look that one up.

http://proxabid.us/AuctionImages/3456/30156/Detail/860.jpg

Now if you fixed it up, could you use it for your daily mowings?

Even for parts, if this mower runs, for $100, it's nice being able to take parts off the engine when you are in a time crunch.

I decided to get it as a back up or to pull a trailer or other implements. The thing is with the amount of commercial work I do. I think its unprofessional to show up with a garden tractor. I just called the guy and left a message. Thing is I cant make it there today and not sure at that price if it will be there tomorrow. It is older, I believe they were in production between 85-88 but the old tractors are way better then the new box store ones.

I tried to find a snow blower for it with no luck. I did see someone selling the hood for $80. So the parts have value.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-19-2011, 12:02 AM
This guy called me back a week later and said hes been out of town. So I finally went and picked it up.

After taking the deck off theres nothing wrong with the spindle. Its the sheave that is messed up. It looks bad but might still hold the belts on but it appears to have a missing bearing and I think a plug?

The total damage: The bottom belt is shot and the upper belt is missing. I had to fix the steering linkage it was popping off when turning hard. The battery is low not sure if its dead or just needs a charge. The blades need to be sharpened. Then theres a slow leak in the front tire.

brian'slawncare
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
if you fix that up, those things can become very helpful when doing small job, or you could probably even sell it and make a small profit...

Steve
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Keep us posted on what you decide to do to fix it.