PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on my encounter today!

thegroundscrew
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I had three Christmas lights jobs today and ended at around three oclock. So, I decided to go door to door and do some marketing. I passed out about one hundred door hangers and talked to a dozen people.

As I was doing this a guy in his truck rolled up next to me and said that he saw my ambition going door to door marketing and my young age. He then asked what I was marketing and I told him my landscape services business and I handed him a business card.

He then said that he owns a business development company and gave me he his card. We talked about my company for awhile and he asked me if I wanted to meet with him and talk about how he can grow my companys' profit by $80,000 to $150,000 in one year.

I am of course interested but not quite sure what to think of it. So we set up a time for Tullys in Bellevue, WA on Monday. I thought to myself that it wont hurt to give it a try.

I was taking a look at his business card and it was one of the 250 free ones you get from vistaprints which might say something about his company. I tried looking him up but could not find much information.

So basically I am just wondering what your guy's opinions are on this matter. Should I follow through with the meeting or not? I feel that he owns a fairly new company and thought to give me a try because of the ambition he saw in me. Is it a scam possibly or what? Please give me your thoughts and if you can find any information about him and his company please let me know. Thanks anything helps.

His name was Jack Nelson and his company name was JNJ Marketing Group is cell is 206-391-1711 and his fax is 866-240-7276 and email is jnj@katewwdb.com.

Suggestions and thought are much appreciated.

mark123
12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
It's probably AMWAY. lol

JeffK26
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
It's probably AMWAY. lol

I actually laughed out loud...hard haha

JeffK26
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I would at least meet with the guy to see what he has to say, you can always leave. Use the time before to write down any and all questions you want to ask about him and his company. Then you can research some more.

Could be a scam or he could be like you, starting up a business and he's being ambitious as you are and sees how a landscaping company can help him while he helps you.

bruces
12-08-2011, 10:23 PM
dont give him any money !!!! at least untill you have thoroughly checked him out .

Hedgemaster
12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Vistaprint cards?

Yeah, ummm... he's looking to make money from YOU so he can eventually buy REAL business cards and scam even MORE people!

:D

If it sounds too good to be true...

Steve
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I hate these bs business development consultants. I am calling bull****.

I wouldn't even go. I wouldn't waste my time.

If he had ANYTHING to offer you, he would have said it right there on the spot.

Steer clear of crap like this. You got your own business and you are doing fine. You don't need anyone else's 'business development' crap.

Keep us posted though on what you decide to do.

TiedemanLLC
12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been around in quite a while, so I thought that I would join up with the forum again and help some of you guys out.

In regards to this topic, I totally agree with Steve on this. In fact, a lot of times you can find out information just from someones email address. I pulled up his domain name on his email address and this is what I basically found out

http://www.katewwdb.com/retail/

So be prepared that he will try to sell you this product, in which he will make money each month you use it.

stevef1201
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, or quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
This sounds like a scam. I would bet it is a scam.
Toss the card and forget him.
Now when someone comes up to you and says ' I like the way you work, would you like some more?' then you got a good thing.

eMCeeW
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
No way dude, waste of time. I would politely call and cancel.

thegroundscrew
12-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. It might be a scam or not but I came to the realization of "Who really cares!"

I decided to give it a try and meet him I mean I can't go wrong with a free lattee.

As we get into talking and I sense a scam or am not interested I will tell him what I feel and leave kindly.

I will just have to come into the meeting prepared knowing information before hand and having questions prepared. Any help on advising questions or are you guys still stuck on cancelling and not showing up.

Thanks again boys.

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-10-2011, 01:28 AM
if you aint putting off work it cant hurt. I would be wary of anything he pushes. If he mentions marketing techniques that you have to pay for. Politely mention its easier to find info on your company vs his. Other then that pick his brain like you would with any other business owner.

mark123
12-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. It might be a scam or not but I came to the realization of "Who really cares!"

I decided to give it a try and meet him I mean I can't go wrong with a free lattee. ...
Friend, take some money with you and order light because the first words he's going to say to the waitress are "separate checks, please". Then he'll probably order something like "just a glass of soda". Just betting there won't be a free latte.

Hedgemaster
12-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I have an 85 year old neighbor lady who can latch onto you and keep you in a conversation for an HOUR with no means of escape. I'm betting that if this guy's INCOME is at stake, he's going to be a pretty good BSer and it won't be as easy as you think to get away from him.

Seriosly. What is your annual income at the moment? No need to reply, but think about the numbers he gave you... he didn't say you could make "up to" some magical number - he said you could increase it BY $XX,XXX - meaning ON TOP OF what you already earn.

Bull$hit.

thegroundscrew
12-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't like talking about money but The Company's annual income is around$225,000. this is not mine. He said he could increase my earning power by $80,000 to $150,000 just in one year. However, my goal for the next year is to try to double the size of my company so that is whats grabbing me.

I took a look at the website (thanks Tiedman) and if he is trying to sell me that or something similar then NO I am not interested. I am not doing any of the work monday just have an estimate so I do have some time to talk to this guy.

I know he probably wont buy be me a drink I'm just trying to add some humor, but their is always a storng possibility. Well thanks guys I am going to give it a shot anyways but if I feel uncomfortable or not interested in any sort of way I will politely tell him that and then leave.

He can say whatever he wants because ultimately I'm the one with the money.

Thanks guys

Steve
12-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Keep us posted on how this goes.

thegroundscrew
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
It wasn't a scam but it was actually AMWAY. If your are familiar with that company is all based off selling their products through networking. I have the meeting and there is about 50 other people in suits and a speaker. All they do is talk about the financial possibilities of what this business can get you but rarely talked about how to achieve.

Any comments and thoughts on the AMWAY company?

mark123
12-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Amway! I knew it. I hate to say it but... , well, no I don't, Amway is a scam. I'll bet not one of those people have a dime to their name. I'd say more but I'm not going to type a novel on my phone. :)

mark123
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I actually laughed out loud...hard haha
Did you pass out from laughing today? :D

Steve
12-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I think if you have the choice between putting your time and energy into your own business or spending time doing that stuff, I'd say putting your time and energy into your own business. It will give you greater rewards.

The Cleaning Doctor
12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
LOL that is good. I had a guy try a similar thing with me. Even gave me a DVD... LOL

mark123
12-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I think if you have the choice between putting your time and energy into your own business or spending time doing that stuff, I'd say putting your time and energy into your own business. It will give you greater rewards.

This is 100% correct. Very astute, sir.

JeffK26
12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Did you pass out from laughing today? :D

Once i read "it was actually AMWAY"...yes, yes i did.

Actually, my aunt and uncle did AMWAY back in the 80's, tried to get my mom and dad involved, but they walked away.

I would stay clear of it man, not worth your time

The Cleaning Doctor
12-18-2011, 01:00 PM
The guy that gave me the DVD was making so much money from it that he wanted the DVD back... LOL

mark123
12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
The guy that gave me the DVD was making so much money from it that he wanted the DVD back... LOL
That's because they have to pay for those. The only people making money from AMWAY are the producers of their DVD/CD/Books that they sell to the dingles that join.