PDA

View Full Version : winterizing a mower

kymd82
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
This is my first year with my 48 walk-behind mower. I am in the process of winterizing it. I put fuel stabilizer in it and let it run for 5 min. I also made sure all of the leaves/dirt were cleaned out of the bolts, belts, etc. Is there anything else that I need to do before storing it? Thanks for your help!

FaccLndscpng
12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I would change the oil so that it is stored with fresh oil; I was told that storing equipment with dirty oil will damage the engine. Sharpen/balance blades, grease all fittings, and replace the air filter.

Steve
12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Also check out this post on winterizing lawn care equipment (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15016).

wandfsmall
12-07-2011, 10:39 PM
This is my first year with my 48 walk-behind mower. I am in the process of winterizing it. I put fuel stabilizer in it and let it run for 5 min. I also made sure all of the leaves/dirt were cleaned out of the bolts, belts, etc. Is there anything else that I need to do before storing it? Thanks for your help!

sounds like you did most things you need, just remember to use anti seize on your blade bolts to make it easier next time, go ahead and change your oil for next year(it is better on your equipment not to sit with old oil anyway). Also I recommend next year trying ethanol shield or startron for your fuel both of those products seem to work better. Personally I like ethanol shield but I admit that starton seems to be a good product.

ringahding1
12-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Siphon gas (siphons are cheap) don't take no chances with condensation.

WD-40 in the spark plug holes, so the pistons don't rust out over the winter.

Take the blades off! Or you could run into them rusting on, unless that has already happened to you before..haha

If you have a battery, store indoors

Looks like every1else covered the rest...good luck!