PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice?

therentboss
12-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I am new to the plow business(well my business is new i should say). This will be my first winter on my own. Any advice or tips you all may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you all.

CHEESE2009
12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I am new to the plow business(well my business is new i should say). This will be my first winter on my own. Any advice or tips you all may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you all.

The higher your expectations (early on) the more painful the reality will be.

Keep track of everything, the more you take note of early on, the more you can tweak the following years.

Other than that, you should have a blast! How is your current set up?

Steve
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What kind of services will you be offering over the winter to get yourself started?

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Dont make the mistake I made taking on to much work. Then trying to buy a used plow and truck in December.

Steve
12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
How would you have done it differently? Would you have gotten the plow ahead of time or just taken less work?

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
How would you have done it differently? Would you have gotten the plow ahead of time or just taken less work?
I already have 2 trucks and now I need a 3rd. I do have a sub but not much luck finding another.

If it only snows a few inches and no trucks go down. Ill be fine how I am. Its just if a truck goes down, the sub doesnt show, or we get a blizzard. So I really need it for emergencies.

Not much I couldve done. I put bids out in aug, sept and oct. I didnt hear back from anyone. So I kept bidding when opportunities came. Then one by one started get signed contracts in the mail. I just got another call to bid on 3 small parking lots. I told them I'm booked and it sucks cause there right next to each other and I have to drive past the area anyway.

Steve
12-10-2011, 10:38 AM
WOW! That is amazing! Here you are getting more work thrown at you and then it's not a question anymore of 'I wish I had customers.' It's more of 'how will I handle them all!'

We don't hear about that too often! So I guess all in all that's a good thing.

Does the sub-contractor you are talking about bring his own truck or would he use one of your three?

All this also makes you wonder how you could harness more of the local guys in your area with plows to get these jobs done!