PDA

View Full Version : Dethatching

MR.MOWER
11-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what dethatching is and what you need to get to do it and at what time of year you do it?

Ducke
11-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what dethatching is and what you need to get to do it and at what time of year you do it?

Here check these videos out
They should help

How To Dethatch a lawn (http://youtu.be/b90XneJwVLA)

****Reno Thin**** (http://youtu.be/hrFytUGE52w)

I Hope this Helps
Graham

MR.MOWER
11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
is there a blade or anything i can put on a lawn mower ?

CHEESE2009
11-30-2011, 06:53 PM

You do it during the spring.

Once the snow has left, the lawn will most likely have died in some or all sections. You will notice that instead of green, the lawn is yellow or whitish.

You can use an ordinary rake to remove the thatch buildup, but don't go too crazy. You shouldn't force thatch to lift from the lawn, just a light pass with a rake should be sufficient. Force it, and you could end up with no lawn at all.

It's also a good idea to rake the lawn, because the snow would have flattened it. Raking the lawn keeps the grass blades vertical and promotes growth.

Anyway, a rake and or dethatching rake is the slowest way to do it. You could buy a power rake, or a dethatcher.

Steve
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Force it, and you could end up with no lawn at all.

Scott,

Didn't you experiment earlier this year with a de-thatching rake and really work the lawn with it?

How did that ever turn out? Would you do that again or no?

CHEESE2009
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Scott,

Didn't you experiment earlier this year with a de-thatching rake and really work the lawn with it?

How did that ever turn out? Would you do that again or no?

The de-thatching rake did a fantastic job, unfortunately it was a very slow tool to use in comparison with my other options.

a de-thatching rake
cost to buy: $25 - $40
time: 2+ hours per property

Dethatcher
cost to rent/day: $50
time: 30+ minutes per property

There is a pretty big difference, ultimately, renting a de-thatcher or even buying a home owner model one for $200.00 will be the best option to go with.

picframer
12-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Or you can buy, even the consumer grade for the front of your tractor or ZTR and save a pile of time although it's tough to beat the units designed for the job, the quality they do is incredible.

Steve
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
The de-thatching rake did a fantastic job

Did you notice a big difference in the lawn before and after you did it? How did the customer react to the results?