PDA

View Full Version : Yes! yesyesyes!

JeffK26
11-29-2011, 10:16 PM
So, been working my regular job in HVAC... been slow. However I don't want to get too busy on the lawn care side to jeopardize the for sure paycheck through the winter. Kind of like deer hunting (actual job) with a fishing pole in the nearby stream (Saber LawnCare).

I placed a Craigslist with all my services. no calls for two weeks. No calls, not doing so well. So we placed 125 flyers out the neighborhood my sis in law grew up in after she gave us a tip that 90% of the yards have not been touched for leaf removal.

Today, one call from the flyers for leaf removal, one call from CL for snow removal.

drove on over to give them a price.

The leaf removal said yes to: Leaf removal, snow removal for the winter, and lawn care for next year.

The snow removal said yes to leaf removal and lawn service for next summer, plus hedge and shrub trimming, fertilizing, plus anything i can do to get the yard up to par since the yard has been neglected since her husband passed away, plus a railroad tie retaining wall and staircase next year. She said she knew lawn care companies existed, just never thought to call any of them.

So, BBQ'd tonight, drank some beer....and feeling good. It's not HUGE, but it broke the ice..and that feels very good.

dclgraphics
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
GREAT JOB!!!

Small Business have to be committed and just keep advertising, I think one of the biggest mistake as a small business we make is looking at marketing as inexpense as to a business expense, an investment to grow you business and a tax write-off.

If you really want your business to be successful, you've got to make getting and keeping customers your number one priority. When was the last time you heard of a company going out of business because they had too many happy, satisfied customers buying from them?

And that's where "Marketing" comes in. Letting others know about what you have in such a way that they are compelled... nearly forced to find out more and then, ultimately, to buy the products and services you offer from you, and not from your competitors. Get a better understanding of who your customers are and find better ways to reach them using an advertising mix.

Invest in a good website and support that with a flyer, Door hanger or a direct mail piece.

David C. Lopez
http://www.dclgraphics.com/index.php

Steve
11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
That is fantastic news! Now that you have gotten some success, has it given you more ideas on what works and what doesnt? Also do you feel it is going to change the way you do your marketing now?

JeffK26
11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
That is fantastic news! Now that you have gotten some success, has it given you more ideas on what works and what doesnt? Also do you feel it is going to change the way you do your marketing now?

Thanks!

Since I have only used two methods and both worked I can only say what works. I have an ad on CL using HTML to post a flyer instead of only text and a page counter on it, out of almost 500 views I received one call, I don't know if that's a good average or not. I figure quite a few of the 500 views are competition. Only time will tell on that and it's free so no need to take it down no matter what the averages.

I only handed out 125 fliers and I got one call and an email asking about planting flowers in the spring since my original post. And it's only been 2 days since the flyer handout. I think that's a decent average. I used magnets with small US Flag stickers on them to attach the fliers to the doors, rubberbands for non metal doors but wrapped the magnet in with the rubberband. I figure if a customer is going to keep the flier beyond the initial read it's useful if it's hanging where they repeatedly see it other than in a pile of papers. It snows, or time got away and the lawn is still covered in leaves so the customer thinks "Where is that flyer?" It's either up on the fridge or in a pile of papers. Why not attempt to better the odds it's hanging? I have a couple food fliers on my fridge, and the magnets they used are keeping them there. Not only that, the magnets got me to ask my wife where we got them. That's where i got the idea.

I have 200 more fliers to hand out for snow removal. Each of the fliers lists all my services as well, but Snow Removal is in bold at the top. With this new set I'm attaching a small candy cane to each flyer. And the magnets for this round have a little Christmas wreath sticker on them.

While handing out fliers the wife and I would also take a homeowner's empty trashcans or recycle bins back up to the house. Smiled and waved to everyone we saw and of course handed them the flyer personally. We even gave a flyer to a "no solicitors" house. The house had a no solicitor sign so we turned and walked away, the home owner came out saw we didn't leave a flyer and actually thanked us and asked what we do.

Steve
12-01-2011, 10:07 AM
That is awesome!

With this new set I'm attaching a small candy cane to each flyer. And the magnets for this round have a little Christmas wreath sticker on them.

Do you have a picture of that? Fantastic!

JeffK26
12-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I'll get a pic up in the next couple of days....

headin out to Christmas shop.

JeffK26
12-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Here ya go Steve...

The fliers we're handing out this week. Candy Cane and US flag magnets...

Sorry about not having the wreath magnets, the wife ended up using them for her seamstress flyers. But the round magnet is the type we use for the wreaths.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oYQyQ2efSYU/TtwmGDBaGLI/AAAAAAAAAHI/TzHTk31jOz4/s640/PICT0794.JPG

Steve
12-05-2011, 12:05 PM
That looks great! I can't tell from this angle but do the flag magnets have any contact information on them?

Could you attach some kind of business card to those magnets too?

JeffK26
12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Steve, nope, too small really. the magnets are like 1 inch by 2 inches.

That is a good idea tho, instead of the flags or Christmas wreaths just get some blank stickers and print business name & number on them

I've been thinking about getting business card magnets in the future but for now money is thin in the advertising part of the budget... I'd rather spend it on yard signs, fliers and other forms of advertising

Steve
12-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Have you gotten any feedback from any of the people who have received your marketing package so far?

JeffK26
12-07-2011, 07:53 PM
The fliers focus on Snow Removal and Leaf Cleanup but lists my other services as well. I have handed 125 out with another 300 going out tomorrow. As of today I have received 5 calls for leaf removal, and 6 for snow removal. completed 1 leaf removal, 1 turn down for price. 1 waiting on a yes or no and 2 i'm bidding tomorrow.

Yes on 3 snow removals, bidding the other 3 tomorrow.

The other 2 leaf removals from the other posts were 1 CL and one friend of the family.

I love being busy. Now this isn't a lot of work, but i work another job and i'm going to school and finals are next week...I'm knackered.

Steve
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
That is great!

Do you try and hit the same homes over and over again with a week or so in between or how do you find the best way to market?

JeffK26
12-10-2011, 12:03 AM
I have lived in the St Louis area all my life and i still end up down a road with 500 homes i had no idea existed. I keep wondering how i would flyer all of them. I handed out 125 fliers the other day more to get a feel of what it takes and to test the waters than to get any actual clients...

So my plan is to hit a secondary area with flyers, then post a yard sign a few weeks later at the front of the neighborhood, or on a phone pole or stop sign. and drive through each area with the magnetic signs on my truck.

Now that i have a few clients i'm going to hit their area with fliers, then hit them one more time in a month or so...then re create my flyer with lawn service as the primary topic instead of snow removal, but put snow removal in the services offered area, and hit the area again...try to keep it more focused.

If i had my way, i would make 50,000 flyers and start next Monday at my northern border and start heading south and hit every neighborhood i could until i ran out, then make some more and keep going until i hit every single house in my area....then start all over again.

Not really a big focused plan. Right now it's more of a shotgun blast in different areas and hope for the best.

Steve
12-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I think you should consider though as a test, to have one area be the area you hit each time you go out to put out flyers. That could give you a comparable test area and see which marketing strategy works better.

JeffK26
12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I think you should consider though as a test, to have one area be the area you hit each time you go out to put out flyers. That could give you a comparable test area and see which marketing strategy works better.

Thanks for the idea, I have a couple neighborhoods in mind to do a repeat flyer drop, and a couple more to drop fliers in about half the time

After the holidays i'm going to get an ad running in the local newspapers as well.

I work in heating and cooling and i work in a lot of different neighborhoods, and each one has me wanting to drop fliers. I'm like a kid in a candy store

Steve
12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Try these two different techniques in two areas. Try just giving a one time flyer in one area and hit another area multiple times. Then see which area brings you more customers and that should help you see which marketing technique works better.

I'd love to hear your updates on it.