PDA

View Full Version : Poly cutting Edge for snow plows

FaccLndscpng
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Poly Cutting Blades for their plows? If so I was wondering how they are, mainly how they handle going over manhole covers and other obstructions. I have a new unfinished development this season. The finish cote of asphalt isnít down yet so I have a really rough scratch cote and all the vents and covers stick up to finish grade, Iím looking into my options so I can avoid tripping my plow as much as I can. I was hoping that a Poly edge would ride over or ďgive a littleĒ when hitting objects. And I donít want to try rubber because we had a sub last season that made the switch to a rubber edge and did nothing but complain about it. Any suggestions or info would help, thanks.

bruces
11-28-2011, 11:32 PM
never tried the poly ,but it does sound like the rubber is perfect for your situation .What were your friends issues with his and under what conditions ?
I think the poly will end up braking if your hitting manholes etc ,while the rubber will just flex around the obstacles .

FaccLndscpng
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
He said the rubber was great for like the first storm then it wasnít sturdy like it had no memory. The main thing was that on certain storms (I canít remember exactly if it was warm storms with slush or cold storms with soft powder snow) the rubber edge would leave a layer of glaze which required him to salt heavier. I think rubber is my only option due to its flexibility but I donít want to have to salt more or make extra passes with the plow so thatís why I though Poly might be the happy medium, not as rigid as steel and not as flexible as rubber. Supplier websites state that it rides over obstacles but Iíd rather take another contractors word for it then a supplier that might not have ever plowed in his life.

FaccLndscpng
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I noticed that the newer plows have a partial trip so you donít lose your whole load and thatís what I need, but at this time I donít have the money nor do I have the time to purchase a new plow. I only got this property like a week or two ago so it was a late add on, if I got this property in Sept then I probably would of sprung for a newer plow. So I was researching different options as a quick fix just to get me through this season.

Steve
11-30-2011, 06:59 AM
I noticed that the newer plows have a partial trip so you donít lose your whole load and thatís what I need

Do you mean like the Boss plows where only the bottom of the blade trips, like in this pic?

And are you saying if you had that, you wouldn't be worried about a rubber or poly cutting edge because it would simply be metal?

http://www.bossplow.com/content/images/products/tripedgeplows/features/tripedge.jpg

FaccLndscpng
11-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes thatís it Steve, thatís exactly what I need! I wouldnít worry about rubber or poly until the steel wore down. That would be perfect for me because I wouldnít trip the whole plow, if anything was left behind after hitting the obstacle one of the shovelers would clean up after me because it would be a minimal amount. This is my first time dealing with a property with an unfinished surface and Iím hoping that I donít regret taking the property on. So we will see, I will keep you posted on my decision, in the meantime if anyone has any ideas or experience with poly let me know.

Steve
12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
With the boss plows, no other additional blade is used at the bottom, is that right? I mean you wouldn't add another piece of rubber or poly under that metal trip section?

FaccLndscpng
12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I guess not, I didnít do a lot of research on them plows because I donít have the money for one. I just looked at the new plows with the trip edge and knew that was what I needed for this site. The steel would take a few seasons to wear down so I would worry about the replacement then.