PDA

View Full Version : Timber!

Clays Landscape
11-28-2011, 09:48 PM
I laid down a 150' pine today on a commercial property that I take care of. I charged $400 to take the tree down and dispose of it.

bruces
11-29-2011, 12:06 AM
I really dont get into trees much ,but in my area your way low on the price .My neighbour just had two 50 foot colorado blue spruce dropped by a tree guy ,and his bill was $2400.00 ,and these trees were out in the open .The homeowner even kept and cut-up the wood themselves .

FaccLndscpng
11-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Prices are very different in different areas; I canít give you a price for Montgomery county PA because I donít even think we have any trees 150í tall! But I recently took down a 25í dogwood for just under $450.
How many times did you have to stop and change the chain on your saw? Just wondering on a 150er how many chains you went through. I cant seem to keep my chains sharp, I end up sharpening once then get new chains after that.

picframer
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Prices are very different in different areas; I canít give you a price for Montgomery county PA because I donít even think we have any trees 150í tall! But I recently took down a 25í dogwood for just under $450.
How many times did you have to stop and change the chain on your saw? Just wondering on a 150er how many chains you went through. I cant seem to keep my chains sharp, I end up sharpening once then get new chains after that.

Are you cutting green or dry wood? I can get about 20 cord to the chain cutting green hardwood. half that if the wood is dry. Personally like the Stihl chains without the kickback rakers, generally get three tanks between sharpening.

FaccLndscpng
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
I donít do a lot of trees so for the most part theyíre usually dead, problematic trees so its predominately dry wood. I didnít know if this was normal or not to have your chain get dull that quick, Iím not sure how many tanks I go through so Iíll have to pay more attention next time. 20 cords green wood, that seems like a lot to me even 10 cords dry is a lot. To take down and limb the 25 footer I think I used 2 chains and when I was done they were dull, I just thought that was a lot. So when Clay brought down the 150footer I just pictured him paying a guy just to replace chains all day long. Lol. Or even a full service tree guy, cutting multiple trees all day long they must go through hundred of chains. Let me know guys, whatís the average for a week of trees!

Clays Landscape
11-29-2011, 09:27 PM

It was a dead pine and I used the same chain from beginning to end. I cut the tree into 16 ft sections and loaded them onto the trailer with the forklift and took them to a sawmill.

After we had finished, the chain was still very sharp.

FaccLndscpng
11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
WHAT? looks like im going to have to make the switch for a new saw, I don't get it. It's not like they are generic by the spool you can order out of a catalogue, I use genuine parts. Everything else works great on the saw, I have no complaints with Stihl accept for the dull chains. And I take them as far as I can to, i've seen smoke and burnt wood before, so its not like I'm making a premature chain change. What do you use clays?

Clays Landscape
11-30-2011, 06:32 AM
WHAT? looks like im going to have to make the switch for a new saw, I don't get it. It's not like they are generic by the spool you can order out of a catalogue, I use genuine parts. Everything else works great on the saw, I have no complaints with Stihl accept for the dull chains. And I take them as far as I can to, i've seen smoke and burnt wood before, so its not like I'm making a premature chain change. What do you use clays?

Just a Stihl chain. Remember, after we laid the tree down, we only made 15-20 more cuts as we cut them in large sections.

Steve
11-30-2011, 07:28 AM
I laid down a 150' pine today on a commercial property that I take care of. I charged $400 to take the tree down and dispose of it.

How long did that take you?

Would you have done anything differently now with the job if you could redo it?

Clays Landscape
11-30-2011, 08:35 AM
How long did that take you?

Would you have done anything differently now with the job if you could redo it?

Started at 4:30 am and finished about 8:15 am. I dont know of much I would change except for maybe charge $50 or so more.

FaccLndscpng
11-30-2011, 07:27 PM
It must be the wood Iím cutting then...How much did you get when you sold it to the mill? I usually just sell it to a tree guy and he sells it for firewood or I keep it for someone in my family.

bruces
11-30-2011, 07:38 PM
you start a saw at 4;30 am ? thats hard core .Its dark here untill after 7 am .

T.j.'s landscaping 17
11-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I woulda charged 2000 plus a price per load

Clays Landscape
11-30-2011, 09:36 PM
It must be the wood Iím cutting then...How much did you get when you sold it to the mill? I usually just sell it to a tree guy and he sells it for firewood or I keep it for someone in my family.

I ended up getting $150 for the logs.

Clays Landscape
11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
you start a saw at 4;30 am ? thats hard core .Its dark here untill after 7 am .

It was in a commercial lot with no residential homes around. I had plenty of light in the parking lot with that lights there.

Steve
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Would it have been worthwhile at all to rent a chipper for this job? Could you have used one?

Clays Landscape
12-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Would it have been worthwhile at all to rent a chipper for this job? Could you have used one?

It would have been nice but with the price I charged, I would have lost money.

Steve
12-02-2011, 06:18 PM
It is interesting to think about though because it shows how as you get more equipment, you need to charge more to cover the expenses. So by running a lean and mean business, you can do the job for cheaper.

Mikes mowing
12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Started at 4:30 am and finished about 8:15 am. I dont know of much I would change except for maybe charge $50 or so more.

Like some else said your low on your price.I dont do much tree work.
That price in NH would be low.

vl2007
12-04-2011, 06:08 AM
four hours plus you hauled it off? You should have charged over $1800.00! Starting a saw at 4am...what, no noise ordinance in the area? Did you just drop it, or block it down? What type of gear did you use? Bringing a tree that size down takes education in felling to do it safely. I say you are lucky you didn't hurt yourself or someone else.

Clays Landscape
12-04-2011, 06:54 AM
four hours plus you hauled it off? You should have charged over $1800.00! Starting a saw at 4am...what, no noise ordinance in the area? Did you just drop it, or block it down? What type of gear did you use? Bringing a tree that size down takes education in felling to do it safely. I say you are lucky you didn't hurt yourself or someone else.

It was in a commercial area. I have cut many trees and plus having nothing even close to the "drop zone" helped.

Steve
12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Clay, do you find it's good to hear some price suggestions? They seem to give you a scope for what you could be potentially charging for future jobs.

jhinton
07-05-2014, 07:31 PM
I charge $500 just for dropping one IF it is in an open area. To cut that one up and haul it off would have been around $2,000