PDA

View Full Version : Well, I guess this year was better than last

mark123
11-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I got a letter from the state telling me that due to the amount remitted they are changing my sales tax filing frequency. Instead of quarterly, I now must file monthly. I guess that's proof that I grew the business.

Tax filing always ties me up in knots because of concern over making a mistake but maybe it will actually be easier doing it monthly. I'll have to see how it goes.

wandfsmall
11-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I got a letter from the state telling me that due to the amount remitted they are changing my sales tax filing frequency. Instead of quarterly, I now must file monthly. I guess that's proof that I grew the business.

Tax filing always ties me up in knots because of concern over making a mistake but maybe it will actually be easier doing it monthly. I'll have to see how it goes.

I have 2 businesses one is for the website and the other for the retail shop(makes it easier to track for us) The website is on a quarterly and the retail shop is monthly. The one for the monthly reporting is much easier as you tend to forget about stuff for the quarterly one. And congrats on growing the business.

mark123
11-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks. :)

That's comforting to know that it seems easier. The reason makes sense.

Steve
11-28-2011, 10:36 AM
That is great news!

I am sure every state handles this differently, but for the newer business owners trying to comply, does this apply to sales tax or is this income tax?

Also, when should they be concerned about making that jump from quarterly to monthly?

mark123
11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
That is great news!

I am sure every state handles this differently, but for the newer business owners trying to comply, does this apply to sales tax or is this income tax?

Also, when should they be concerned about making that jump from quarterly to monthly?
This is for Sales and Use tax for Pennsylvania. Apparently, if your quarterly sales tax remittance is over $600 they want to move you to monthly. If you make over $10000 in a quarter that will do it. This is good news even though it is a little bit of extra work.

Steve
11-30-2011, 07:11 AM
That is very interesting as it brings up another point as well. Since different areas handle taxing lawn care differently, it's important for each lawn care business owner to review their state's website to see if they need to be collecting sales tax. If they do, they also need to get a sales tax license.

http://www.coastallandscapesolutions.com/images/Licenses/RetailLicense.jpg