PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Jobs

sclawns90
11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm new to the business and need to know how to quote commercial jobs... Do i need to go out and do the math for the sq. footage or do they have it on file? who do i go to in order to make a bid? how much should i charge per x Sq. ft? If anyone could help me out with this that would be GREAT! Might be dumb questions but like i said im a newbie! thanks yall!:D

bruces
11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
its worth your time to walk every property and measure yourself ,as who knows what modifications have been made to the property since it was last drawn up ,and trusting everything a customer tells you can lead to problems .

Ducke
11-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Buy a wheel and measure every property.

Steve
11-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a ton of reading for you in my blog on how to get commercial lawn care customers (http://lawnchat.com/?cat=39), check it out when you have some time.

I'm new to the business and need to know how to quote commercial jobs... Do i need to go out and do the math for the sq. footage or do they have it on file?

Sure they may have it on file but what's to say they don't make it smaller in order to get a cheaper price? Ultimately it is up to you to measure it all out so you know what you are bidding on.

Then once you have the area figures, try using the lawn care estimation calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) on here. Plug in the numbers and see how long it suggests the job will take.

who do i go to in order to make a bid?
You need to find out who is in charge of taking bids at each property. There is a lot about this in the blog link I suggested. There are many techniques to find these people, based on the type of property and situation. The blog will give you tons of info on it.

how much should i charge per x Sq. ft?
A basic concept would be to look at the properties you mow now. Figure out how much you are charging per sq ft for them and then you could scale it up to work on the larger properties.

If you know your operation costs per hour, you will know what you need to charge per hour to perform lawn care. So it doesn't hurt to look at all your expenses and figure out how much money goes out the door per hour as you mow. If you can bid a price where you cover those costs plus make a profit, you will be all set.