PDA

View Full Version : Starting out in Ohio

jma91678
11-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Well Im in the first stages of starting a lawn and building maintenance comany. Does anyone have any info on how to get through the legal stuff? I am wondering what type of business is best for mr. Sole propritor, llc, dba, ect. Is there a package or a service that would do all of that for me? thanks for any help. Jason

Steve
11-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Jason,

Welcome to our forum!

I'd think the easiest is a dba. Get your feet wet with running your business. Feel it out and then you can always go and get a llc or s-corp as you grow and the need arises.

Early on though it seems like it is easier to keep things simple.

As far as a package, sure you can always go to a lawyer and they can do all this for you, but it will cost more than most want to pay in the beginning.

jma91678
11-25-2011, 06:12 AM
I was thinking about doing that but I also wanted to be as legit as possible. Would I still be able to carry ins without being a "company"?

mark123
11-25-2011, 06:20 AM
I don't really see the need for incorporating. At least not until you have some employees.

Steve
11-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I was thinking about doing that but I also wanted to be as legit as possible. Would I still be able to carry ins without being a "company"?

A dba is legit. Yes you could have insurance as a dba.

It is simpler to get started with. Is simpler to handle the paperwork for but there are down sides to because the owner of the business has unlimited liability for the debts incurred by the business.

When you have assets, you tend to want to protect them and filing a corporation helps protect the owner because the business then is it's own separate legal entity.

Check out this site and do a search for others to educate yourself further.

http://www.bizfilings.com/learn/compare-company-types.aspx

Let us know what you decide to go with.