PDA

View Full Version : Duuuuuude!

CHEESE2009
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
I went out around 11am or 12pm:confused:.... just got home, 2AM... LOL

Time for a big steak, some tv, then I'll sleep until the next snowfall!

How did everyone else manage?

Clays Landscape
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Dr. Scott,
It seems as if you are very knowledgable of this industry so I want to pry your mind of a quick question.

How much should I charge for an acre lot that has 10-12 large oaks that had not been touched all year until I got to them today? There were thick enough my blower would not blow them much so a great deal of raking took place. I was there for 3 to 3.5 hours. The good thing is, there was no traveling, as it was my next door neighbor.

Steve
11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Scott,

Have you changed the way at all you do snow removal from the past years? Are there any ways you are handling it differently?

CHEESE2009
11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Dr. Scott,
It seems as if you are very knowledgable of this industry so I want to pry your mind of a quick question.

How much should I charge for an acre lot that has 10-12 large oaks that had not been touched all year until I got to them today? There were thick enough my blower would not blow them much so a great deal of raking took place. I was there for 3 to 3.5 hours. The good thing is, there was no traveling, as it was my next door neighbor.

In your case, maybe charging a travel fee would have been better regardless if it's your neighbor or not. A part of me thinks that all clients should bring in the a similar kind of value.

A lot of bigger companies with efficient equipment usually charge $100 per shot when it comes to picking up leaves (my area). A lot of new companies that aren't as equipped will be doing more work with less profit until they become well equipped.

Here's an example;

Bigger Company
Time per job: 1 hour
Charge: $100

Smaller Company
Time per job: 3 hours
Charge: $300 It just wouldn't work....

At this point, you aren't exactly getting "killed" by your competition, you just aren't making the right amount for your time spent (not a big deal yet).

If you don't have a lot of clients, time isn't really a big issue yet. Make sure you put money towards better equipment, so you spend less time, while making the same price :D

********-

You don't need a tractor right now, you can do a fantastic job with a self propelled (rear wheel drive) lawn mower that can mulch and bag.

I suggest going over the piles of leaves with the lawn mowers front wheels off the ground, and cutting "half-deck";

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/mulchingleaves.png

Once the leaves are mulched, attach the bag to the mower = success! :D

CHEESE2009
11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Scott,

Have you changed the way at all you do snow removal from the past years? Are there any ways you are handling it differently?

Well, I've got approx 150 walkways to shovel all over the city. The gps I had bought last year (or the year before:confused:) has come in handy!

It's very difficult, as it's hard to see addresses in the dark, and the gps doesn't give me an exact location and often lies to me... "Coming to location in 20 meters, on right" usually means it's on the left... :mad:

So it's good to understand how addresses work, so that you aren't wasting time;

One side of a street may go for example: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
While the other side of the street will go: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.

So with the Gps and the order of the house numbers go, it's been great.

//

Other than the work itself, which is very tiring and time consuming and leaves me feeling as though I'd been hit my a train, I just don't know what would happen during a bad storm. Scary to think about.

I have two and half sheets of clients, each full page takes me 6 hours. The complete route will cost me $70 in gasoline. Should be interesting to see the final results of the season.

In all of the time working, and rushing, and sweating. I took only 20 minutes to relax, and that was only to pick up and drive my girlfriend home. She fed me while I would drive, it was the perfect system. She had to leave though, because I was too grumpy. I would shout at every car infront of me, not to mention the damn schoolbuses that stop for 10 minutes letting kids off (can't pass those, gotta wait). I got stuck at every light too, sucks.

Here is a song about me, and my customers;
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F_ZQYKyylFw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> ahahahaha

I also got pulled over by a cop, "How come you are circling around the area constantly" LOL.

//

I have yet to get out of bed, it's 2PM the next day.... Soar as heck...

Ducke
11-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Well I had a great start to the snow season .
Tuesday on way to work truck started acting funny , want to stall out at traffic lights etc.
Wed I was on way to work and the black smoke was just pouring out of the tail pipe so off to the dealer. While I'm sitting waiting to find out what was wrong the snow started but that's OK because Environment Canada said it would be mostly rain here in Halifax. HA! It snowed and it snowed and then it snowed some more. Here I am 8 clients to do snow removal and no truck to get my snow blower around.and to top it my trailer is in for some modification work so I didn't have that either, so last night I went out on foot with two shovels and started to dig my clients out by hand then we got the rain (doom on me) well I got 4 driveways dug out as the snow got heavier and heavier I was dead on my feet soaking wet and cold. So I call my remaining customers and told them what was happening and they were alright with my delay one even said don't worry he could handle it this time(very Nicely not mad or upset) so this morning I went back to the 4 from last night and cleaned out the frozen chunks of ice and snow the plow left behind and then did the other 3 driveways, To say I am tired is an understatement. I got a call from the dealer today the truck will be ready Friday it was an Oxygen Sensor that went but when they were trying to get it out it broke off so that was why the delay.
Overall they are saying we got 30cm here in metro and some inland areas got up to 40cm which isn't all that bad in its self . It was the freezing rain afterwards that made it all so miscible. Oh ya got my snow blower out to do my yard and the snow was so wet that I brunt out a belt, what a stink.
well off to bed got Christmas lights to put up tomorrow.

CHEESE2009
11-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Well I had a great start to the snow season .

I could cry reading your post. Reminds me of my first year doing snow removal. Frig that was brutal!

I can't even fall asleep after work, my body is so full of adrenaline because I need to get everyone done at a decent time... it sticks with me for hours once I finish work. Not to mention, it's hard to shake off the "chill" from outdoors that stays with your body. This stuff gets me wired, I come home beat up, but my brain wont relaxxxx.

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/wallpaper/ORUSuburban_Airtime_800x600.jpg
pictured above: How I feel at work

Ducke
11-25-2011, 07:27 PM
I could cry reading your post. Reminds me of my first year doing snow removal. Frig that was brutal!

I can't even fall asleep after work, my body is so full of adrenaline because I need to get everyone done at a decent time... it sticks with me for hours once I finish work. Not to mention, it's hard to shake off the "chill" from outdoors that stays with your body. This stuff gets me wired, I come home beat up, but my brain wont relaxxxx.

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/wallpaper/ORUSuburban_Airtime_800x600.jpg
pictured above: How I feel at work

Yes Cheese but this is what we really look like.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/472726875_97887331e1.jpg
Old, Rusty and Beat up :)

Steve
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I just don't know what would happen during a bad storm. Scary to think about.

What could make your life easier with this? What would be the next steps to improve it. Whether it be this year or next?

FaccLndscpng
11-26-2011, 10:02 PM
You guys got it right, after running a storm your body is soo tired its like you are numb but your mind is running a mile a minute and you cant sleep, and if you think about bills or hear your phone ring (which happens all the time, I get a message like thisÖ its like mid January and I get a call ďcan you send someone over to plow my driveway? I have to go to work and cant shovel myself outÖ I really donít care, its been snowing for like 2 months now and you now decided to ask for help? And you want me to come out right this minute so you can go to work in which you are already late for?Ē people are crazy). But anyway, sorry to go off on a rant like that, what does everyone do to get to sleep? Iíve had storms that when I came home I tried to sleep and after 20 mins thought about a bill, then I was done I would end up setting up Invoices all day then go straight to salting later that night. Then when you finally get done you sleep for like 3 days.

CHEESE2009
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
But anyway, sorry to go off on a rant like that, what does everyone do to get to sleep?

I usually just freak out and not sleep. LOL.

It's hard also because you spend an entire day doing something so 'quiet?' and when you get home it's as though you want to have some sort of fun before going to sleep. So your boredom is also always arguing with your fatigue.

That plus the chills, and the anxiety, sleep is nearly impossible.

I'm also the kind of person who can't sleep after exercise, I know a lot of people can, but not me. I'm broken like that, haha!

Ducke
11-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Scott
I know what you mean. I suffer from insomnia something that I inherited from my Mom, I have trouble falling to sleep even on a calm day. My mind is always racing from one thing to another, so when I get all stocked up during a storm or what ever I am on the go nonstop I can go for days before I crash and I usually crash big as I did this last storm I am so sick and run down.
I have found that taking Melatonin helps to calm my mind. It is a natural supplement, you can get it at most drug stores.
Melatonin is a chemical that your brain make that helps clam you for sleep.
Give it a try, it really works

FaccLndscpng
11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I saw an advertisement on AOL one day when I was checking my mail about a melatonin supplement and was wondering if it worked. Iím like you Ducke and have trouble sleeping all the time, I get my insomnia from my dadís side all of us are up all night long it really sucks and I think I might have passed it on to my daughter (I feel soo bad for her cause I know what sheís going through). Anyway when Iím exhausted (which due to the Lyme is all the time) I just pass out like I have narcolepsy or something if fallen asleep on my way home in my truck three times this past season. Then as soon as its bed time Iím up for hours, Iíve tried everything napping and not napping, readingÖ but for the most part I have so much going through my mind and Iím always thinking of new things like switching up my route to increase efficiency and who do I have to call and so onÖthe joys of running a business.

I try not to bring my work home even know thatís where my office is but I donít want to constantly complain to my family but my wife knows when thereís something going on at work or when Iím really stressed because I do crazy stuff in my sleep and the main times I do this stuff is during the landscaping bidding, snow removal bidding and almost during every snow storm. Stress is a killer and I know Iím going to get questions about the ďcrazy stuff I do in my sleepĒ so hereís a few examples:
-One night I jumped up and started going through paperwork in my sleep
-One night I looked out the window and yelled atÖ no one
-One night I thought a snake was under our blanket so I grabbed a flashlight

And many more but theyíre all done while Iím sleeping and have no recollection the next morning. I feel bad for her. So thanks for the tip Ducke Iím going to give it a try.

Steve
11-30-2011, 07:29 AM
ďcan you send someone over to plow my driveway? I have to go to work and cant shovel myself outÖ I really donít care, its been snowing for like 2 months now and you now decided to ask for help? And you want me to come out right this minute so you can go to work in which you are already late for?Ē

When you get calls like this? Do you handle them differently than if they had called in advance? For instance, do you charge them a premium for such service calls?

Also, do you find you handle them differently now that you have been in business longer? Where as you might have immediately jumped on them in the past, now maybe not so much?

FaccLndscpng
12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Yea I treat them differently, I donít do their work. I donít have the time to make special rounds for someone that should have had their stuff together and a contractor nailed down. After working for days, its just not worth me making a special trip for the money. During snow storms my wife handles the phone and she kindly says that we are all booked up for the season and refers other local contractors. If I were to take the call I probably would get their address and plow them in like a 5 foot wall right into their driveway. I get way too stressed during snow storms.
When I first started I would have been there within 30 minutes and yes I would of charged a premium, nothing more then double the price but I would definitely increase the price. Hey my salt supplier and plow supplier (2 separate people) both increases their prices as the months go on so why not.

Steve
12-02-2011, 07:16 PM
If I were to take the call I probably would get their address and plow them in like a 5 foot wall right into their driveway. I get way too stressed during snow storms.

Do you mean because by the time you get to these late callers, there is usually too much snow to plow?

FaccLndscpng
12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Steve,
No, just because I get soo stressed out during snow storms and it really annoys me that people are such procrastinators. But on top of that, they want to be put on the top of the list immediately and donít want to pay, I hate people.