PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Mowing

EFS
11-15-2011, 07:25 PM
I have secured a contract for the mowing of an apartment complex next year. I am going to add to my equipment. I am thinking about either another ZTR( I only have one 52" ZTR) or a walk behind. I cannot afford both, so I am looking to make a good choice that will be helpful to my business. I currently do not use a walk behind at all, but a couple of other pros told me that they are especially helpful at apartment complexes with the tight areas. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dustin Kirby
52" Badboy Pup
Stihl Trimmers and Blowers
Commercial Pushmower

hotwired
11-16-2011, 04:53 AM
I would agree with the WB acquisition. They are very deceiving unless you've owned one. Very quick, agile, versatile. They are ONLY weak on wide open area where you can go full tilt with a Z. On 10k SF lawns, I've actually been able to do a faster, better job than a z. I use older style T bar Toros (belt drive) ** I've watched people using the NEW Toro hydro with the pistol grips, and it looks like a baby learning to walk....very slow, clumsy, 1970's technology (having a handle to set your speed and thumblocks when you want to stop and take your hands off the controls.....huh?) I'd go with either belt drive pistol grips OR hydro Tbars. You will find an increase in versatility with a WB though, no doubt.

EFS
11-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the insight. I was leaning toward the WK and this reinforces it.

Steve
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Dustin, keep us posted on which you decide to go with and how you feel it effects your operation.

MikeWhitley449
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
I have been an Ex-mark guy here in North Florida until I demo'd the Ferris Evolution. I have worked in many a tight space in Apartment complex's and I will not go back to riding a Sulky again. I know this isn't the best video I could have made but you have to go find one to ride before you buy something else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-U2jrU_H0

FaccLndscpng
11-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I say go with the WB, the only flaw is that you can only run them as fast as you can walk so like hotwired said they are weak on wide open spaces, and definitely donít get a sulky. I used a sulky all the time until I burnt out the tranny on my 48Ē SCAG, they canít handle the added weight. For us the biggest pro for the WBs is that they are great on hills and we have a lot of hills that I will not allow the guys to mow with a ZTR (I did it once myself and was terrified)! Basically we use the WBs to cut in around obstacles and hills, and whatever is too tight for the WB to get into we will use a 21Ē push or just use a string trimmer and a steady hand.