PDA

View Full Version : how to get on bid lists?

1chickANDaMOWER
11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
hello! my name is brittany, i recently took over a landscaping company (about 3 months ago) that wasnt exactly booming. i have picked up several clients since then, made a company web site (www.greenwayweb.com still under construction) a company email (greenwaymail), have a new flyer, and nice new buisiness cards coming. the company web site shows up on google as well as in google places.
i have done door to door introducing myself as well. and am bidding on 2 counties school systems lawn care as well.
i am however having trouble in 2 areas:
i do not know how to go about bidding on franchises (do i just call headquarters?) things like hospitals, plazas, and finding property managers (just Realtors?) basically i just want to be able to place the bids. any tips?
my second problem is, i had 2 clients that flat out refused my services (were already with the company before i took over) when they found out i was a girl. several made comments stating they would give me a chance, but did not think i would be able to do it. other than the 2 clients who canned me before i even started, everyone else kept me and was happy with the work ive done.
any tips to make people more comfortable with me being a female? i understand its going to happen, but i would like any tips to help people see a landscaper first, instead of "Your a landscaper?? you mow?"

thanks boys! :0P
-1chickandamower-

Steve
11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Hello Brittany,

Welcome to our forum!

i do not know how to go about bidding on franchises (do i just call headquarters?) things like hospitals, plazas, and finding property managers (just Realtors?) basically i just want to be able to place the bids. any tips?

I have an entire section on my blog on How to get commercial lawn care customers (http://lawnchat.com/?cat=39). Scroll through those articles and read the ones that interest you. There is a lot of information there on how to get different commercial customers and also how to best deal with them.

my second problem is, i had 2 clients that flat out refused my services (were already with the company before i took over) when they found out i was a girl. several made comments stating they would give me a chance, but did not think i would be able to do it. other than the 2 clients who canned me before i even started, everyone else kept me and was happy with the work ive done.
any tips to make people more comfortable with me being a female? i understand its going to happen, but i would like any tips to help people see a landscaper first, instead of "Your a landscaper?? you mow?"

There are a bunch of ways to go about dealing with this that I can think of, maybe others can jump in here to and add more.

One thought is, the hell with the pain in the *** customers who are going to be sexist, racist, whateverist. There are too many people out there that don't care about any of that as long as you are friendly and can provide a quality service.

Second is to use your difference as an advantage. Promote the hell out of the fact that you are a woman owned business and point out how that helps you provide a better service.

Third, you can always make it look like you are the sales woman or that there is some other figure in charge of the business and you are only doing your specific job. One of our members on here got fed up with a bunch of his customers b.s. so he created a fictional partner that he had all emails sent from and he had to confer with before he made any business decisions. This helped take the pressure off of him to have to be put on the spot by certain customers.

Does any of this help?.

Dragger
11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi
Welcome to the Forum and I am sure you will find lots of advice and help with in its pages.

I would Just start banging on doors to get added to the bidding list, email letters to the stores or chains you wish to work for , any thing you can do to get your company's name in there mind.

mx377
11-22-2011, 05:45 AM
I Love you user name!

We have a company here in Mich. That go by "Two Chicks & a Mower"

I would go with the "Look like a Sales Rep" Idea for a bit. Just make things easier.

Good Luck!;)

wandfsmall
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I Love you user name!

I would go with the "Look like a Sales Rep" Idea for a bit. Just make things easier.

Good Luck!;)

I would recommend a different approach, play being a woman up to your advantage. Check about being listed as a minority owned business. Add a professional photo of you and your equipment to your front page of the website, then try to bid on government contracts and larger businesses. Most have programs for female and minority businesses, once your listed with them as a contractor you will find purchasing managers are like pit-bulls with a minority business they will never let go of a good one.

hawthornelawncare
11-27-2011, 12:17 AM
hello! my name is brittany, i recently took over a landscaping company (about 3 months ago) that wasnt exactly booming. i have picked up several clients since then, made a company web site (www.greenwayweb.com still under construction) a company email (greenwaymail), have a new flyer, and nice new buisiness cards coming. the company web site shows up on google as well as in google places.
i have done door to door introducing myself as well. and am bidding on 2 counties school systems lawn care as well.
i am however having trouble in 2 areas:

thanks boys! :0P
-1chickandamower-

Hi there keep your head up. Doesnt matter if your a women in this industry. I feel a women can mow just as good as any of us men.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Hi
Welcome to the forum. I am also in NJ. I wouldn't try to be dishonest. I would be truthful. Like someone suggested go with the minority approach with small business. I am not sure how much of an edge it would give you but any little bit would help as there is soooooo many landscaping companies around here. I would introduce yourself as ______ The CEO/President whatever title you hold in the business. Say we will be out to your location on this day of the week or what have you. That's how I say it when I tell people I will be out to service a property even tho 90% of the time it's just me sometimes there is more people out with me. My girlfriend and best friend (female) come out and help me at times. My gf needs training but my friend has gone with me multiple times and runs the mowers and everything with no problems. It's not the sex/age/ or anything else in the end it is your work ethic and your finished product that MOST people will like and refer you for. I say most because anywhere there are idiots in this world who just like to complain...
Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask this is a great forum and people are knowledgeable.

MotownMowers
12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
I Love you user name!

Good Luck!;)

the 2 of those chicks are hot as hell too in their daisy dukes?(super short shorts) and lack of tank tops! lol i saw them in royal oak over the past summer...

sorry for bringin this up from the dead...

also, theres a ton of useful info in this post, thank you steve for the link.. im trying to get into commercial next year cause i hear thats where the cash is!

Good luck 1chick with your mower! i wish all ladies werent afraid to get a lil dirrrrty..