PDA

View Full Version : End of Season grass length

EFS
11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Is there a certain length that anyone suggests cutting the grass to at the last mow of season. I have always left grass at 3-3.5" at end of season, but I wanted to know if anyone had a different length that they leave it at.

Thanks,
Dustin

Ducke
11-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I cut all season at 3-3.5" and drop the deck to 2" for the last cut of the year.

mark123
11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Starting in October I gradually lower from 3" to 2". ¼" at a time. There are differing opinions on whether it is necessary or not. I do it because we had a few harsh winters with tons of snow the past two years and the lawns left long got many spots of snow mold that didn't recover. Keeping it short prevents it from matting down and allows it to dry in a wet spring before the first cuts.

Cutting it short also facilitates blowing leaves off the lawn.

Steve
11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
That is really insightful! Have you experimented with this and see if cutting it shorter did give you different results in the spring?

mark123
11-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, anecdotally it seems to help with snow mold. It surely helps with leaf removal.

The best reason though is that as lawn growth slows in the cold weather you can squeeze a few more cuts by lowering the deck.